WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 24 - Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake will have Robbins, DJ Wilkens, and Roman Penn for the next three years. We’ll have AJ and Phyfe. Several more hard fought games are in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      Send that sellout home happy, hell yeah. I also liked how it wasn't a stale crowd, you could tell it got a bit noisy in there, like at one point when Drake's PG and SG had to huddle to discuss a play, during the play. Good showing all around. Phyfe even redeemed himself with that rebound that led to that impossibly long three from Spence. And of course, a casual 34 for AJ, including a super clutch 8 in a row. God what a game.
      Not even his longest three of the day!

Comment

• Well, I think that was a lot more stressful than we all would have liked, but what a comeback when we were down by 5 at around the 5-6 minute mark there!

And I think being able to come back from a deficit in crunch time like that is the mark of a really good team.

AJ - 'nuff said. Just amazing

Spencer and Trae - coming through with huge shots at great times

Z - really hurt us offensively, but solid defense and he did come through with some big free throws in crunch time.

Phyfe - ouch. It almost feels like he's one of those guys who is either really, really good or really, really bad. Today he was pretty poor, but we know he'll bounce back.

Didn't get too much from the bench today, but I don't think they really hurt us either. I thought Tywhon had some nice minutes.

Off-topic, but after having to watch the game on ESPN3 and being subjected to those commercial breaks I've decided that Turbo Tax could pay me extra money to do my taxes, but I will never, ever even think about using them after that God awful theme song..."All people are tax people!" I'm going to hear that in my nightmares. Ugh...

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
          Idk if Drake can play much better than they did today. Way to outlast them, this was a tough, hard fought win
          Had to believe that when crunch time came around it'd be more difficult for them to continue executing beyond their true ability. They pushed us to play our A game, so kudos to them for that. Hopefully this will work out like the Valpo season series where we faced their more typical performance on their court.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post
            Off-topic, but after having to watch the game on ESPN3 and being subjected to those commercial breaks I've decided that Turbo Tax could pay me extra money to do my taxes, but I will never, ever even think about using them after that God awful theme song..."All people are tax people!" I'm going to hear that in my nightmares. Ugh...
            Never forget that the reason that taxes are so complicated is because of H&R and Turbotax being the second biggest lobby in Washington. IRS would love to streamline the whole process but that would ruin those two companies that otherwise add nothing to society, so every bill about that dies in committee.

...Switching gears back, is that the first time AJ has busted out the bow and arrow at UNI? I don't recall it before today, and I love it only coming out during special occasions.

Comment

• I wondered if it was just me or not, but Drake really slowed down in the last 3-4 minutes.

So excited that UNI is able to hang tough in games like this!

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Had to believe that when crunch time came around it'd be more difficult for them to continue executing beyond their true ability. They pushed us to play our A game, so kudos to them for that. Hopefully this will work out like the Valpo season series where we faced their more typical performance on their court.
                Executing beyond their true ability? Devries seems to excel at that as a coach. Look at last years’ MVC tourney game. They gave us all we wanted with an ‘effed up roster with lots of missing players. This years’ Drake team is far better than the one we beat in STL. Fortunately, so are we. DeVries seems to be one of those coaches who’s really good at instilling mental toughness in his players.

Comment

• Drake needs to give DeVries a raise as long as he’s there they are going to be a tough out

Comment

Never forget that the reason that taxes are so complicated is because of H&R and Turbotax being the second biggest lobby in Washington. IRS would love to streamline the whole process but that would ruin those two companies that otherwise add nothing to society, so every bill about that dies in committee.

...Switching gears back, is that the first time AJ has busted out the bow and arrow at UNI? I don't recall it before today, and I love it only coming out during special occasions.
                    Did he? I didn't see it. If anyone finds the clip, please drop the link!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Executing beyond their true ability? Devries seems to excel at that as a coach. Look at last years’ MVC tourney game. They gave us all we wanted with an ‘effed up roster with lots of missing players. This years’ Drake team is far better than the one we beat in STL. Fortunately, so are we. DeVries seems to be one of those coaches who’s really good at instilling mental toughness in his players.
                      No knock on Devries because he has them much more respectable than they've been in the past but this game has to be the best game that Drake team has played all year.
                      By the way, last year's tourney game Drake was the higher seed and predicted to beat us.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I can easily cheer for Drake with an alum like Devries as their coach.

Based on the post-game interaction it looks like he and Jake have a lot of respect for each other, as well they should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serious Shot View Post
                          I wondered if it was just me or not, but Drake really slowed down in the last 3-4 minutes.

So excited that UNI is able to hang tough in games like this!
                          In the last 5 mins drake scored 5 points. UNI scored 17. It wasn't you.
                          Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Did he? I didn't see it. If anyone finds the clip, please drop the link!
                            https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/stat...434884615?s=19

Looked to be right at the guy who was guarding him close all night.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/stat...434884615?s=19

Looked to be right at the guy who was guarding him close all night.
                              LOL, Love it! Looked like he snuck it in quick so coaches wouldn't notice.
                              I always loved that celeb in his HS games!

Comment

• How long do you think AJ has imagined a game like that, in a sold out, jacked up McLeod Center?
                                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Working...
                                X