WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 26 - Loyola #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game 26 - Loyola #2

Super excited/nervous about his game, with at large and conference standings implications. If we win, the sweep nearly guarantees we’re seeded ahead of Loyola in Arch Madness.

On one hand, I’m mentally preparing myself that it may be unreasonable to expect to finish the season with 11 straight wins. This is seemingly the toughest remaining game on the schedule against a team we have historically struggled with.

On the other hand, the Panthers are the better team and have shown incredible toughness recently hanging in games (even when not playing their best and taking the other team’s best shot) and pulling them out. Loyola has not been playing all that well, with a 29 point beatdown, a win due to a bogus no foul call against Valpo, and beating Evansville after being down within the last 2 minutes.

The full Gentile arena will make it even more exciting. I’m predicting we seize the moment and pull it out, 73-67.

I'm sure Krutwig will play, but he did miss the last part of their Wednesday night game with a ankle injury.

Comment

National TV. This one matters for seeding and the off chance we need the at large. Lots of important eyeballs.

We roll.

UNI 70
      Loyola 56

Bonus: Porter is extra stompy and even more irrational than usual for the first 10 minutes.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Bonus: Porter is extra stompy and even more irrational than usual for the first 10 minutes.
        Over/Under for the minute mark where Porter’s jacket comes off?

Comment

Biggest regular season MVC game since Wichita left?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
            I was thinking the same thing earlier today.

Comment

Its possible.

But, as strange as it was, and I realize this game will be largely forgotten, the Loyola game at home last year in game 17 would have given us a chance to clinch the regular season title in the finale at Indiana State. So that was a pretty big game as well.

But yes, this year this game certainly feels different. Its possible that all of our last 5 games coming up are played in sold out arenas. Buckle up.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Probably. Insofar as I don't think SIU gets here without taking another loss (they've got Bradley tomorrow afternoon with Childs).

So, realistically, a win tomorrow night and this thing is pretty much over (Up 3 with 4 to play).

If SIU would beat Bradley, the SIU game would be bigger.

I just really like playing games that mean something this time of year and I'm guessing that's going to be a habit for a while...
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  National TV. This one matters for seeding and the off chance we need the at large. Lots of important eyeballs.

We roll.

UNI 70
                  Loyola 56

This team has been at it's best on national tv, see game at Bradley. Guys like Trae and AJ love the spotlight, I have the same feeling. At Indiana State on the other hand....

Comment

For some reason I'm optimistic about this one too, which kind of scares me. Same story as when we played them in CF. Stop Krutwig... and this time let's finish the game out, rather than worrying about the clock more than scoring and not getting defensive stops.
                    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Its possible.

But, as strange as it was, and I realize this game will be largely forgotten, the Loyola game at home last year in game 17 would have given us a chance to clinch the regular season title in the finale at Indiana State. So that was a pretty big game as well.

But yes, this year this game certainly feels different. Its possible that all of our last 5 games coming up are played in sold out arenas. Buckle up.
                      Is that true? Drake finished 12-6 last year and we finished 9-9. How do we catch them with 2 more wins?

Regardless, I think this is the biggest MVC regular season game since 2016 period, not just for us, all things considered. Especially if you factor in our at-large chances, a national TV Saturday prime time audience on ESPN2, a sold out environment and arguably the two programs with the most nationally recognizable brands in the league at the moment playing the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Its possible that all of our last 5 games coming up are played in sold out arenas. Buckle up.
                        I was going to ask if they ever sell out in Terre Haute? Then I looked and they actually average 500+ more than Loyola. I always got the impression that it was like playing in a ghost town there. Question will be are they motivated by their own team to show up in hopes of a good conference finish.

Comment

Don't trust posted numbers

Look at UEs number than go look at any replay of theirs
                          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                            Don't trust posted numbers

Look at UEs number than go look at any replay of theirs
                            Well tbf there's a difference between "Sold out" and "full crowd."

Comment

Is that true? Drake finished 12-6 last year and we finished 9-9. How do we catch them with 2 more wins?

Regardless, I think this is the biggest MVC regular season game since 2016 period, not just for us, all things considered. Especially if you factor in our at-large chances, a national TV Saturday prime time audience on ESPN2, a sold out environment and arguably the two programs with the most nationally recognizable brands in the league at the moment playing the game.
                              At the time we played Loyola we were 9-7 and had we won that game and the next we would've finished 11-7. He said it would've "given us a chance to clinch the regular season title in the finale" that chance hinged on others losing while we won, which obviously didn't happen.

We're looking to set our season high win streak in this one and the Ramblers aren't playing as well now as they were when they came to CF, so maybe we're catching them at the right time. That said a big nationally televised game can spark the enthusiasm in any team, especially when trying to avenge a previous loss and play the spoiler role. We're certainly capable of winning this game comfortably if we play well. Lets hope that happens while some important eye balls are on our game.

Comment

Working...
                              X