WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 26 - Loyola #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive intensity and getting stops just hasnt been good enough the last few weeks. Offense has been carrying us. Just a couple key stips last night and we win the game. Have to be better on D.

That, and the turnovers just continue to kill us.

Loved the effort and grit last night to make the comeback. 4 games left, lets finish this thing.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Probably obvious, but they had 21 points off turnovers and we had 5. We cut that number in half and we are likely playing with a lead from 10 minutes left in the first half until the end of the game (all other things being the same). The good news is that the turnovers are something we can fix and had been good about from the SIU game until last night. No need to panic, UNI is still a good team. I just wish Mudra could get more time off work to watch and comment on our wins. So strange how their schedule keeps working out that way.

Comment

• Jake admitted in his post-game radio show that the slow starts in the last three games have really hurt us and he knows it needs to be corrected. Look for some changes in approach come Thursday at ISUb. Historically it's a tough place for us to play so we need to get back on track with defense and cut down on the turnovers.

Comment

• Curious if Jake had been asked about the lack of minutes for non starters?
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• He was asked about all the minutes logged by the starters and his answer is one he has given frequently this year. Basically, when he have nationally televised games with extra long time-outs, he believes his guys are in great shape and able to withstand the pace. I think it really comes down to trusting the starters and having less faith in the reserves/freshmen to use them more. Right or wrong, that is his philosophy and doubt it changes this season.

Comment

• We must remember, these young men are just that, young men. They are working very hard and Coach Jake is doing his best as well. It is pretty easy to be critical, but somedays are just not our days. I feel this will be a humbling loss and we will learn from it giving us even more fire down the road.
              Let's hope our guys can protect the ball and minimize mistakes. I was blown away that we didn't see more of Kimmons, Carter, and Ty. These guys play a different style of play, which I think makes teams change things up, plus gives our starters rest and desire to get back onto the court. I would love to see Trae get his opportunities to have the ball near the end of some of these games, especially in this one. Obviously, AJ has been incredible, but last night during OT, being while injured, it appeared that it was 1 on 5. Why not give Trae the opportunity?

Any word on AJ? Did he end up breaking his nose?

Comment

• We were also hit with the road/home foul shot disparity in this game. Can't complain about it too much after what happened to ISUr in CF (NO FTs!!), and our MO of a lot of spot up 3-ball shots vs driving to the bucket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                  He was asked about all the minutes logged by the starters and his answer is one he has given frequently this year. Basically, when he have nationally televised games with extra long time-outs, he believes his guys are in great shape and able to withstand the pace. I think it really comes down to trusting the starters and having less faith in the reserves/freshmen to use them more. Right or wrong, that is his philosophy and doubt it changes this season.
                  I totally understand the point that these are 19-23 year olds and with commercial breaks they have a lot of rest, I just think it'd be nice to give a different look every once in a while. Heck, I don't know if we beat Loyola in CF without Kimmons and he only played like 3 minutes last night.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1994grad View Post
                    We must remember, these young men are just that, young men. They are working very hard and Coach Jake is doing his best as well. It is pretty easy to be critical, but somedays are just not our days. I feel this will be a humbling loss and we will learn from it giving us even more fire down the road.
                    Let's hope our guys can protect the ball and minimize mistakes. I was blown away that we didn't see more of Kimmons, Carter, and Ty. These guys play a different style of play, which I think makes teams change things up, plus gives our starters rest and desire to get back onto the court. I would love to see Trae get his opportunities to have the ball near the end of some of these games, especially in this one. Obviously, AJ has been incredible, but last night during OT, being while injured, it appeared that it was 1 on 5. Why not give Trae the opportunity?

Any word on AJ? Did he end up breaking his nose?
                    I agree. Kind of like throwing a change up to a hitter in baseball. Give them something different to react to, make them think a little.
                    I do think the reserves will have to play some in St. Louis, which will help us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                      Jake admitted in his post-game radio show that the slow starts in the last three games have really hurt us and he knows it needs to be corrected. Look for some changes in approach come Thursday at ISUb. Historically it's a tough place for us to play so we need to get back on track with defense and cut down on the turnovers.
                      I like this thought and think it lends itself to a previous poster’s comment to put Ty back into the starting lineup. They were 4-0 with him in there, and at the time I was shocked they didn’t continue to roll with it and bring Spencer off the bench for some offensive punch. Spencer was Sixth Man of the Year last year so we know he can be very effective with that role. I would anticipate he would willingly accept that role again, especially since not starting doesn’t mean he couldn’t still end up playing more minutes than Pickford if that’s what the rest of the game dictated - I think a lot of games last year ended with him in the group of 5 to play the entire final 10 minutes despite starting on the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post

I like this thought and think it lends itself to a previous poster’s comment to put Ty back into the starting lineup. They were 4-0 with him in there, and at the time I was shocked they didn’t continue to roll with it and bring Spencer off the bench for some offensive punch. Spencer was Sixth Man of the Year last year so we know he can be very effective with that role. I would anticipate he would willingly accept that role again, especially since not starting doesn’t mean he couldn’t still end up playing more minutes than Pickford if that’s what the rest of the game dictated - I think a lot of games last year ended with him in the group of 5 to play the entire final 10 minutes despite starting on the bench.
                        I don't know if starter vs bench player matters that much unless it impacts rotations. One of the better secondary rotations is Kimmons, Spence, Phyfe, Pickford, and Brown. Kimmon's ability to get into the lane opens up space for Spence to shoot in the corners. Phyfe and Pickford are great around the basket to rebound any missed Kimmon shot and receive a pass from Kimmons rolling to the basket. If nothing is open on the drive passing out to Brown gives us a secondary handler who is a great passer. He usually does a great job finding the open man as the defense tries to scramble back to their assignments. However we make that rotation happen more, I am all for it. Gives AJ and Trey (who plays a ton as well) some rest. Just my two cents.

Comment

• I think the thing that we're missing and should be celebrating is that this loss didn't take some kind of out of left field bogus replay review that cost us multiple points...
                          #MACtion

Comment

• As expected. AJ is going to have to wear a mask. Seems like a big concern he won’t be his usual self.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                              As expected. AJ is going to have to wear a mask. Seems like a big concern he won’t be his usual self.
                              Oh no. Hate those.
                              What was the diagnosis?

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                                As expected. AJ is going to have to wear a mask. Seems like a big concern he won’t be his usual self.
                                Well that sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X