WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 27 - Indiana State #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very discouraging for a season to turn like this because we sleepwalk through the first 10 minutes four games in a row.

Each game is 40 minutes. The conference season is 18 games. Failure to recognize this with the appropriate urgency, even when you’re the best team in the league, leads to losses like this and conference standings like this.

Absolutely no way AJ becomes the fall guy for this game, unless he’s somehow single-handedly responsible for the first half defensive lapses. 21 points on 14 shots, 0 turnovers in 35 minutes while having the ball in his hands a lot. All with a broken nose. 4-8 on 3s, while the rest of the team was 3-17.

Comment

• My gut tells me Berhow was ill. He just didn't seem to be playing with his normal fire. No insider info, just a gut feeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
        Very discouraging for a season to turn like this because we sleepwalk through the first 10 minutes four games in a row.

Each game is 40 minutes. The conference season is 18 games. Failure to recognize this with the appropriate urgency, even when you’re the best team in the league, leads to losses like this and conference standings like this.

Absolutely no way AJ becomes the fall guy for this game, unless he’s somehow single-handedly responsible for the first half defensive lapses. 21 points on 14 shots, 0 turnovers in 35 minutes while having the ball in his hands a lot. All with a broken nose. 4-8 on 3s, while the rest of the team was 3-17.
        Honestly, the "fall guy" to me is the coaches. 3 straight games with awful starts - to me that speaks to our preparation and game plan. Sure, shots weren't falling, but why didn't we try to get Phyfe involved right away? It must have been 6 minutes in before we really seemed to try and get him started. Defensively I don't even know what to say. We just looked slow.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
          In defense of Kimmons not getting more minutes.....yeah he does bring a lot of energy but is he a good shooter? Because it seems like he is afraid to shoot and when he does it rarely works out. Also he can get to the rim but doesn't seem to have the strength to finish.

I don't mean to knock him.....but we already have a guard that is brutal offensively (but can help in other ways) in Pickford. Kimmons has shown he can be a great contributor for the next 3+ years......but if he can work on his shooting and finishing/strength, he has a chance to be real special. As of now.....I can see why Jake is hesitant to put him on the floor for extended minutes for a team that was pushing for an NCAA berth, and is still in the running for a league title....especially with some of the other options that we have.
          I disagree. In past seasons we've all been very frustrated with the likes of McCloud and Deon getting to the rim and either missing contested shots or getting them blocked...usually leading to a fast break the other way. I've been pleased with Kimmons this year and actually remember thinking several times about how often he has finished the play with the bucket, sometimes even a contested hoop. With as many shooters as we have (and as few minutes he plays) he doesn't need to shoot it well. He just needs to get into the lane and draw defenders, which he's doing consistently. Make the defense adjust from our 4 perimeter guard attack. When they do, we can go back to our normal attack.
          Kimmons almost always has an impact, he's just not getting enough opportunities/minutes.

Comment

• Not sure how this team is going to go to St. Louis and win 3 games... in 3 days... playing only 5 guys.

Comment

• Start Ty for better D, rebounding, and he penetrates often leading to a nice assist or getting fouled. bring Spenser in off the bench for more offense after we have gotten into the flow of the game by not falling behind. Get Austin chances to score first and then he should also be putting up at least 10-12 shots a game

what happened with Betz. Weren’t we told by Seth that he is the best overall talented player on the team. Couldn’t he have matched up better against ISUb tall freshman than Justin or Luke

Comment

• So, four conference road losses. Starting to sound like other conferences. Poor shooting on the road. Depressingly nothing new. I thought this year we had 3+ outside shooters & it wouldn't happen to us - not this bad. Turning out to be similar to other years. What is really getting to me is the fact that so many teams have come in to the McLeod Center this year and shot great from 3 point land???????????
                Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Honestly, the "fall guy" to me is the coaches. 3 straight games with awful starts - to me that speaks to our preparation and game plan. Sure, shots weren't falling, but why didn't we try to get Phyfe involved right away? It must have been 6 minutes in before we really seemed to try and get him started. Defensively I don't even know what to say. We just looked slow.
                  Honest question, because I didn’t get to see the game... but was there evidence we were trying something else and it also wasn’t working, or was it just a repeat of what happened the last 3 games? Only thing I noticed by tracking online was that some of the bench got a little more run in the first half minutes than past games.

Comment

Working...
                  X