WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 29 - Evansville #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I've thought this too. Understandably, everybody wants to talk about AJ and Phyfe, then maybe Berhow, but the strides Isaiah has made offensively from year 1 to 4 are really impressive. It's really showing towards the end of the season. Really hoping he ends up with the D POY also.
    I'm as excited as anyone else on here about next season already with our Big 3 coming back, but I think finding someone to take Z's place with being able to stuff a stat sheet the way he does, plus play great defense, is going to be a tall order for us. I do think Tywhon is capable of filling that role, but he doesn't have the size that Z does.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if our NET goes up (or down) after this home win

Comment

That team is better then their record, I mean they beat Kentucky. This team is at their best when they ramp it up defensively and they energy that it brings. As someone said earlier it appears that AJ can be mugged with no call.

Comment

I really wouldn't think we'd drop after winning by 20, but who knows. If it was a single digit win, I'm sure we would.

I kinda feel bad for the Evansville players. Huge win vs Kentucky, overall a decent nonconference outside the Jacksonville St loss, then their coach gets canned for being a scum bag and they just may lose their last 19 games.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Up to 44 NET
            Thank goodness Maryland found a way to come back and beat Minn!

Comment

A few observations from last night after watching the game via replay.
              • That was an awesome team effort last night. You can tell that this team loves playing together and they love winning together.
              • We had great minutes out of our freshman. Carter had some great offensive possessions as well as some great defense. Kimmons continues to impress. His defensive intensity is incredible.
              • I loved that we didn't always just settle for a 3. There were lots of drives to the basket, even by AJ.
              • AJ is probably one the best all around players I've watched recently. He's so unselfish and has a great ability to drive to the basket. I would love to see him get his 3 ball mojo back, but that will come back soon.
              Can't wait for this weekends game.

Comment

Just wanted to say congrats to the Panthers for a conference championship! I know we are focused on more, but let's enjoy this milestone too.

First one in ten years - and started out with a bad loss. Not easy when everyone starts gunning for you.

Think of the jump in our offensive (and defensive) average from the last three years. What fun to have great inside & outside threats.

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post
                  A few observations from last night after watching the game via replay.
                  • That was an awesome team effort last night. You can tell that this team loves playing together and they love winning together.
                  • We had great minutes out of our freshman. Carter had some great offensive possessions as well as some great defense. Kimmons continues to impress. His defensive intensity is incredible.
                  • I loved that we didn't always just settle for a 3. There were lots of drives to the basket, even by AJ.
                  • AJ is probably one the best all around players I've watched recently. He's so unselfish and has a great ability to drive to the basket. I would love to see him get his 3 ball mojo back, but that will come back soon.
                  Can't wait for this weekends game.
                  It's interesting; people were talking during the game about AJ having a bad shooting night, but according to the box score he still had 21 points on 8/13 shooting. I would say that's a pretty good percentage for just about everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

It's interesting; people were talking during the game about AJ having a bad shooting night, but according to the box score he still had 21 points on 8/13 shooting. I would say that's a pretty good percentage for just about everyone.
                    True but most of those were mid-range jumpers and layups. His long-range game doesn't seem to be the same as it was after he hurt his nose.
                    "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Amazed last night by AJ’s slow drive game. Basically get the defender on your hip, slowly walk him down to the basket, and make a <6 foot shot. Always seems so patient, like he’s waiting for the defender to reach in, and if he does just bring his arms up through the reach and get 2 foul shots. Not pretty or athletically flashy, but extremely effective.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
                        Amazed last night by AJ’s slow drive game. Basically get the defender on your hip, slowly walk him down to the basket, and make a <6 foot shot. Always seems so patient, like he’s waiting for the defender to reach in, and if he does just bring his arms up through the reach and get 2 foul shots. Not pretty or athletically flashy, but extremely effective.
                        I was noticing some of that too. It almost seems like the last few games he has been purposely focusing on getting in the lane, and trying for layups/mid range jumpers - maybe to try and get defenders to play off him a bit and open up the outside shot?

They were running the pick & roll with Brown/Phyfe from the wing quite a bit in the 2nd half last night too - was very effective.

Comment

Jake said in his post game interview with Gary that AJ studied a lot after the last game with Evansville where he struggled and came in with a plan to be effective.

Comment

Working...
                          X