WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freshmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshmen

I’ve been really excited about the freshmen over the last few games. I’ve seen a few games this year where Carter can put up points in a hurry. Coach Jake mentioned the game before how impressed he is with his defense. Said he is a different defensive player from a few months ago. I love his attitude out on the court. Several times he tries to get the crowd into and looks like he’s doing a little bit of fun trash talking when he gets rolling. I don’t think he minds being the bully that all good teams need. I would say he is turning the corner at the right time of the year. He reminds me of when Carlson started contributing his sophomore year. Drake could not figure out what to do when AJ and him ran the pick and roll (surrounded by shooters). How good can he be in the next few years?

Kimmons has also been a spark plug during games. He brings immediate energy on both sides of the court. He’s really learned how to finish at the hoop and not shoot if a 7 footer is standing in the way. I haven’t seen a defender that has been able to contain him this year. He’s fun to just watch on the bench. Such a happy kid. I saw his arm around Carter pumping him up after his three 3’s. If he develops any kind of three-point range he’s going to be a good one. How close is he already to a Deon Mitchell type of player? I feel like Mitchell wasn’t able to consistently finish until his last year.

Curious if anyone has heard anything on the development of Betz and Henry. The Drake fan I sat next to at the game is a high school referee and is sure that Henry is going to be one of our best players when all is finished. He said he was completely overshadowed by Xavier Foster and grew so much late in high school that he’s still figuring out his body. I think he’s going to be perfect with this new offense. Betz started the year off strong. I think Dahl being able to contribute and Phyfe dominating changed Coach Jakes mind. I’m guessing we wish we could have redshirted him. He’s going to be a big body that can hit the 3 for the next three years.

With Phyfe / Green and others back for two more years, I don’t think any of these freshmen ever need to be stars anytime soon. I think Klint Carlson’s problem his junior and senior year was that we needed him to be a star instead of a role player. If we would have had better recruits come in, he could have continued his earlier role as a scrappy type of player. Not at all knocking Carlson, but just think he was way better when other teams had the focus on Tuttle or Wes.

Pumped for this week! Any other thoughts on the freshmen?

Jake mentioned after the Evansville game that the ability of Noah and Antwan to give us quality minutes in the first half has been key to finishing out games. There have been a few games where the starters went for 38-40 minutes, which isn't good for us, but when they have to play 28-30 because the bench is productive then we tend to pull away in the second half. This is going to be very important in St. Louis if we make it to Sunday.

As for the other freshman, I kind of wish we would of redshirted Betz with as little as we used him, and Noah has kind of taken that role of smaller backup 5 over. I agree on Henry, I think the injury that he had that sort of forced him into a redshirt could of been a blessing. He was a multi-sport athlete that was overshadowed by Foster, but I think he could sort of be the one that turns out to have the more impactful career in the end. With the extra year he can develop a more consistent shot. I really think you could see us go to more of a 3 guard lineup instead of the 4 guard lineup next year, with the ability to go high-low a lot more.

Krogmann is a quality, but undersized big, however we have shown that these type can be very successful in the Valley. Gauger is a quality walk-on but I don't think you will see him get too many minutes over the next four year. Overall I think that this class, with what we have coming is going to be really good.

Comment

Noah Carter is going to be an All Valley level player before he's done. Absolutely no fear and is a real matchup problem no matter where we put him.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
        I’ve been really excited about the freshmen over the last few games. I’ve seen a few games this year where Carter can put up points in a hurry. Coach Jake mentioned the game before how impressed he is with his defense. Said he is a different defensive player from a few months ago. I love his attitude out on the court. Several times he tries to get the crowd into and looks like he’s doing a little bit of fun trash talking when he gets rolling. I don’t think he minds being the bully that all good teams need. I would say he is turning the corner at the right time of the year. He reminds me of when Carlson started contributing his sophomore year. Drake could not figure out what to do when AJ and him ran the pick and roll (surrounded by shooters). How good can he be in the next few years?

Kimmons has also been a spark plug during games. He brings immediate energy on both sides of the court. He’s really learned how to finish at the hoop and not shoot if a 7 footer is standing in the way. I haven’t seen a defender that has been able to contain him this year. He’s fun to just watch on the bench. Such a happy kid. I saw his arm around Carter pumping him up after his three 3’s. If he develops any kind of three-point range he’s going to be a good one. How close is he already to a Deon Mitchell type of player? I feel like Mitchell wasn’t able to consistently finish until his last year.

Curious if anyone has heard anything on the development of Betz and Henry. The Drake fan I sat next to at the game is a high school referee and is sure that Henry is going to be one of our best players when all is finished. He said he was completely overshadowed by Xavier Foster and grew so much late in high school that he’s still figuring out his body. I think he’s going to be perfect with this new offense. Betz started the year off strong. I think Dahl being able to contribute and Phyfe dominating changed Coach Jakes mind. I’m guessing we wish we could have redshirted him. He’s going to be a big body that can hit the 3 for the next three years.

With Phyfe / Green and others back for two more years, I don’t think any of these freshmen ever need to be stars anytime soon. I think Klint Carlson’s problem his junior and senior year was that we needed him to be a star instead of a role player. If we would have had better recruits come in, he could have continued his earlier role as a scrappy type of player. Not at all knocking Carlson, but just think he was way better when other teams had the focus on Tuttle or Wes.

Pumped for this week! Any other thoughts on the freshmen?
        You are right on point with Henry. I follow high school hoops in Iowa very close. I’ve told people ever since he signed that he is going to be a stud. I look at him like Doug McDermott. I know that is a huge comparison but he was over shadowed by Harrison Barnes. Henry was over shadowed by Xavier foster. I honestly think Henry will have a better college career then foster. Just wish they played each other!
        next year Bowen born and aj playing together

Comment

I agree the development of Kimmons and carter has been exciting. They have improved their game. I compare Kimmons to Kajo Ahlegbva (sp). I do believe James Betz will become a very good shooter. He simply needed a year to polish his game.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
            [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#000000][Carter] reminds me of when Carlson started contributing his sophomore year.
            I had the same thought, could really be the X factor in StL if needed, and into the NCAA as well. Great timing for it.

Exciting to think how the offense could be even more effective if the high post/screen can/will actually shoot it out there. Would open up driving lanes for the guards or cause the big dive to the basket to be open more often. I know Phyfe shot some from outside in HS, so if we get multiple guys that can do that it will be very hard to guard.

I think Henry’s got some fire in him too, so between him, Carter, and Kimmons, our team could have some real swag the next few years.

Comment

I am hopeful that all is well with Betz. I thought he played well in the first quarter of the season, but has been none existent the last half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post

I had the same thought, could really be the X factor in StL if needed, and into the NCAA as well. Great timing for it.

Exciting to think how the offense could be even more effective if the high post/screen can/will actually shoot it out there. Would open up driving lanes for the guards or cause the big dive to the basket to be open more often. I know Phyfe shot some from outside in HS, so if we get multiple guys that can do that it will be very hard to guard.

I think Henry’s got some fire in him too, so between him, Carter, and Kimmons, our team could have some real swag the next few years.
                Phyfe was 3/6 from 3 as a freshman. Not sure what's happened in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by 1994grad View Post
                  I am hopeful that all is well with Betz. I thought he played well in the first quarter of the season, but has been none existent the last half of the season.
                  That has everything with Dahl exceeding every realistic expectation anybody could have had for him.

Betz will be a nice contributor going forward.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

What happened is that we have one of the best shooting teams in the country with 4 other guys shooting 40% or better from 3 and we don’t necessarily need our center who is shooting 68% in the paint to start launching 3’s.

I’m guessing that is something he would add back to his game the next few years.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

What happened is that we have one of the best shooting teams in the country with 4 other guys shooting 40% or better from 3 and we don’t necessarily need our center who is shooting 68% in the paint to start launching 3’s.

I’m guessing that is something he would add back to his game the next few years.
                      I mean that is certainly part of it. But we saw with the Drake game Robbins was disrupting everything until Carter got hot. You would think he would have attempted at least 1 this year.... Possibly wasn't a focus with the health issues. IDK

Comment

Saving it for the big dance like Jordan did in 2010!

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post

Lol. My thoughts as well!

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post

Cole Bair said he asked Phyfe if he will be shooting threes again next season and Phyfe responded, "Oh, yeah."

On the 2/28 "On UNI" podcast at the 11ish minute mark.
                            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Noah's shooting in the last 2 games has been really impressive. However, for a true freshmen, his defense on a variety of positions has been really good. He held his own against Robins (giving up 6-7 inches) and has been pretty solid on various 2s&3s&4s later in the season. Losing Brown's defense over the next few years is going to be really tough. But, I think Noah's size and athleticism brings a similar feel. Also, he is way ahead of Isaiah's offensive development as a frosh, which will give him a lot of court experience next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X