WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to mention thanks to NET beating Iowa State is a good win better than anyone other than UNI or Loyola in the MVC. Literally no one could tell you that with a straight face.

98 Net. 167 RPI

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
      Not to mention thanks to NET beating Iowa State is a good win better than anyone other than UNI or Loyola in the MVC. Literally no one could tell you that with a straight face.

98 Net. 167 RPI

LOL
      But they have so many quality losses!
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

But they have so many quality losses!
        Florida A&M right up there. But to be fair how can they be expected to win them all...

Comment

The thing that really drives me nuts (okay, one of many) is the people saying RPI isn't used because it's easy to manipulate. NET is the exact same way, except imo, it takes a different approach to manipulate. They really need to use both, because any manipulation in one is taken away with the other.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Yep. So much more depressing out there.

-UCLA - NET of 75. Likely in (With home losses to Hofstra and Cal State Fullerton)
            -UVA - NET of 42. Probably a 6 seed
            -Indiana - NET of 60. Tied for 10th in conference. In
            -Texas - NET of 69. Awful losses. In
            - I'll stop for now but there are more for others to add

NET is used to exclude mid majors. Then NET is ignored for P5/P6 where they then use quadrant wins which are already included in the NET through SOS.
            I agree with you...the tricky thing, however, is that if you only use NET rankings to compare teams Minnesota would be in over us. You can selectively pick data to make your case. I think we'd easily go 4-12 or 3-11 against Q1 teams like Minnesota or Xavier did but you have to be reasonable and apply the same logic. Could Minnesota or Xavier go 1-1 like we did?

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
              Rant time:
              I'm tired of people accepting that a 25-win team that we know is very talented (2 All-Conference 1st teamers, DPOY, Coach of the Year) isn't going to get in because "that's the way it is in college basketball now". That's exactly what these P-5 idiots rigging the system want the conversation to be among fans of mid-majors. Teams like the examples above by DGK making it over the Panthers are a JOKE. It is absurd that our team's fans had to worry all year about losing more than 5 games in an entire season keeping them out of the NCAAs - we've had to discuss this all year. This isn't the Horizon League or the SWAC. The Valley wasn't good in Nov./Dec. - so what? According to the standards of the people who are rigging this thing to keep us out? The league is clearly much better now and we play all these teams up to three times - the conference season is a GRIND. I'm not going to waste my time watching in March if the deck is stacked to get a bunch of mediocre P5 schools into the tournament. The allure has always been David slaying Goliath - the tournament isn't worth watching if this is what they're going to do. If this is what the tournament is going to be now, and what following a mid-major is going to be like now (win 90% of your games or you have to win your conference tourney to get in), I'll take my attention and money elsewhere. FFS.
              Rant over.
              First of all, we only have 23 wins. D3 don't count. The committee does NOT look at your overall record. They don't care how many wins you have. They look at Q1 and Q2 record. Non-conference SOS RPI and how many NET Top 25 wins do you have. They don't look at how many schools per conference. Our biggest win is that win at Colorado. That will carry some weight. But, Stephen F Austin won at Duke and probably won't get in. So many factors.

Comment

Originally posted by InterludePanther View Post

First of all, we only have 23 wins. D3 don't count. The committee does NOT look at your overall record. They don't care how many wins you have. They look at Q1 and Q2 record. Non-conference SOS RPI and how many NET Top 25 wins do you have. They don't look at how many schools per conference. Our biggest win is that win at Colorado. That will carry some weight. But, Stephen F Austin won at Duke and probably won't get in. So many factors.
                SFA is a terrible comp. 25 of their 28 games are Q3/Q4 (22 Q4) and they're 1-2 against Q1. Strength of schedule is 313.

Our profile is miles and miles better. We're right on the line, last 4 or 5 in or out. We'll just have to sweat it out for the week and have a couple go our way.
                #MACtion

Comment

ETSU won their auto, one less bubble profile to compete with!

Comment

ETSU winning is big for us, it's not just another bubble team, it was pretty much the only other mid major bubble team. Well, them and Richmond.

Comment

ESPN video today doesn't even have UNI as a bubble team anymore.

Comment

Case made by Coach Jake on Twitter - check out @NickatCourier's feed today.
                        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                        - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                          Case made by Coach Jake on Twitter - check out @NickatCourier's feed today.
                          Man, I love his belief in our resume, but I just can't get there. I don't have enough faith in the committee to use any of the cases Jake makes to want to include us. Had we beaten Drake I would've fully agreed with Jake but we got pounded into the ground.

Comment

I mean he cant come out and say "we are going to get hosed because the PAC 12 and Big 10". He's absolutely right in his defense too.

Comment

Ivy league cancelled there tournament. Can we retroactively cancel Arch Madness?

Comment

I mean he cant come out and say "we are going to get hosed because the PAC 12 and Big 10". He's absolutely right in his defense too.
                                He absolutely could and should come out and say it. What's it going to cost him/UNI? I would guess none of those conference schools are blowing up Jake's phone to schedule a home-home series whether he's vocal or keeps quiet. Maybe one or two mid-major coaches should start to get real vocal about the current system and the P6 bias during the week leading up to selection Sunday. If snubbed, continue to be real vocal afterwards to any microphone that is put in front of them. This is what the P6 schools and coaches do every year when they feel they were snubbed. Maybe it's time for mid-majors to do the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X