WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any option to delay the tournament for a month or so and see where we’re at? I know the break wouldn’t be ideal but instead of cancelling the tourney which is the road I think we are heading to why not do this?

Also if they actually have these events with no crowd is there any reason to play them in 20k seat arenas or have the wrestling in a football stadium?

Comment

• Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
      Is there any option to delay the tournament for a month or so and see where we’re at? I know the break wouldn’t be ideal but instead of cancelling the tourney which is the road I think we are heading to why not do this?

Also if they actually have these events with no crowd is there any reason to play them in 20k seat arenas or have the wrestling in a football stadium?
      Good question. I wonder how logical it is to push it back. With classes, arena scheduling, NBA draft stuff, weeks with no games being played, etc, I think it'd be tough.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• I know and thought of that, might need to play at on campus sites, no teams playing at their home arena.

Comment

• The season is over. No doubt about it. For everyone.

Comment

• Tonight couldn't have been much better for us. Xavier and Stanford both lose. Figures...
            #MACtion

Comment

• Beef - I had been pondering some things about the NET and was wondering what you thought, given you have studied it.

Back when we used the RPI, we didn’t schedule a bunch of low major games because we didn’t want to hurt the SOS and weigh down the RPI. So instead, UNI has taken the approach of scheduling 1-2 non-D1 games each year. Those games don’t count in the NET measures.

Do we need to change our thinking on these types of games and get low major D-1 games in the McLeod instead? Seems like that might increase MOV and efficiency numbers like you have mentioned before. And do the increase in MOV and efficiency measures outweigh the worse SOS?

Thoughts?

Comment

• Would be surprised if the college basketball season isnt cancelled by tomorrow morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by beef50677

I was messaging back and forth with Gary Rima the other night about this very thing since they were talking about this on is show. So I decided to crunch some numbers, because I'm a geek and this is the kind of stuff I do. Plus Sagarin was taking his sweet ass time putting out his ranking th other morning so I could do my Bracketology until later.

So using this year's numbers, I assumed that UNI replaced Coe and Luther with Missouri-Kansas City(#248) and North Dakota(#249). Here are the adjustments to UNI's numbers given they would have won each game by at least 10 points.

Winning Percentage...
                  NOW: 23-6, 0.7931
                  WOULD BE: 25-6, 0.8064

Adjusted Winning Percentage...
                  NOW: 0.5586
                  WOULD BE: 0.5612

Margin of Victory...
                  NOW: 5.5862
                  WOULD BE: 5.8710

It would also be safe to assume that the Offensive and Defensive Efficiencies would improve both directions accordingly. Of course, they could have laid a stinker and still won by 10. A 59-48 game would have done wonders for their Defensive Efficiency, but would have been a drag on offense. Likewise, a 92-80 win would have helped and hurt the other direction.

But what about their Strength of Schedule? UNI's average Opponents' NET Ranking is 153.2. Adding these two games with UMKC and UND would drop it some, to 159.4. How much of a drop is that? I did some crunching with KenPom's NCSOS(Non-Conference Strength of Schedule) numbers. UNI's NCSOS would drop from #132 to #175. It seems like a significant drop, but UNI's NCSOS would still be considered above average, though slightly.

If the NCSOS perception is too important to give up, UNI should be fighting like hell to schedule home-and-homes with top NET teams from other mid- and low-major conferences. Wright State and Northern Kentucky almost always finish on top of the Horizon League. Dayton and metro Cincinnati are not that far to travel. Murray State(far western Kentucky) and Belmont(Nashville) are close enough. New Mexico State has an Iowa connection(head coach Chris Jans). And North and South Dakota State almost always finish atop the Summit League. There are good regional options to play without having to roll the dice on a couple of middling C-USA teams like Old Dominion and Marshall. We all know the story on Iowa and Iowa State, but are Wichita State, Creighton and St. Louis out of mind in playing? I'm sure they've been approached, but you can't take no for an answer.
                  Greggggg isn't coming here until we get a better steakhouse. Jake and McD have no desire to play each other. SLU? Maybe
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• My guess is they cancel the tournament but release the bracket with us in. So they can say they care about the mid majors lol

Comment

• All the conference tournaments have been cancelled.
                      "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

• NBA set the tone. NCAA will get hammered if they allow college athletes to play while paid professionals wait it out.

Would be shocked if the whole thing doesn't get canceled. We picked a good year to blow our chances!

Comment

• What a terrible way for seniors to end their careers.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                            What a terrible way for seniors to end their careers.
                            Conference champs. Think they'll have a good memory

Comment

• I wonder, if the tournament is cancelled, if they will release the names of the teams who made it.
                              "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                                I wonder, if the tournament is cancelled, if they will release the names of the teams who made it.
                                I highly doubt it. Too many strange variables. Would be a complete farce.
                                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                                X