WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 31: Drake | MVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have an up and coming team... then yes getting into the NIT is something to be proud of. We all thought UNI was or should have been an NCAA tournament team. So, for the Panthers, being in the NIT is nothing to be proud of. Ask anybody, what banner do you want hanging in the rafters... 2020 NCAA Tournament or 2020 NIT Champion?

Comment

• Originally posted by uni1988 View Post
      If you have an up and coming team... then yes getting into the NIT is something to be proud of. We all thought UNI was or should have been an NCAA tournament team. So, for the Panthers, being in the NIT is nothing to be proud of. Ask anybody, what banner do you want hanging in the rafters... 2020 NCAA Tournament or 2020 NIT Champion?
      Would you rather just forfeit the NIT bid? Wichita St won the NIT is 2011. The next 5 years were some of the most successful in school history. Maybe is just a coincidence, but I think it can really help a team moving forward. Yes, the NCAA tourney is the goal, but the NIT isn't a terrible fallback.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

If you have an up and coming team... then yes getting into the NIT is something to be proud of. We all thought UNI was or should have been an NCAA tournament team. So, for the Panthers, being in the NIT is nothing to be proud of. Ask anybody, what banner do you want hanging in the rafters... 2020 NCAA Tournament or 2020 NIT Champion?
        Look, if you hate the NIT so much, that's your right. But this is just a really dumb post. Of course, all 353 Division I schools who play basketball want the NCAA tournament as opposed to an NIT championship. And no one is happy about yesterday's result. But, as I wrote earlier, we haven't played in a single postseason tournament since 2016. Plus, it gives our guys a little bit more experience and maybe some added confidence going into next season.

Your attitude reminds me of that famous line from Talladega Nights, "If you're not first you're last!". Of course, that was played for laughs since it's a comedy. You are taking that line quite literally and seriously.

Comment

How the **** are we not an 'up and coming team'? Our two best players are sophomores and we're getting tons of minutes from kids that will be back next year...

I mean, we all want the dance but to thumb your nose at an NIT bid in today's climate is laughable.
          #MACtion

Comment

• Naturally Drake is playing like garbage today.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
              Naturally Drake is playing like garbage today.
              Teams tend to look like garbage when you actually defend them. If we would have defended them on the 3 point line the whole game instead of waiting for them to make several in a row first they likely would have looked just as bad yesterday.

Comment

• We dared Drake to shoot it both in Des Moines and in STL. It worked one time. Obviously not the other.

Comment

• The thing that bothers me most is our continued trend of lengthy scoring droughts. Whether blowing a big 2nd half lead while not scoring for 10 minutes or digging a 15+ pt hole at the beginning of the game, it all comes back to our susceptibility to long scoring droughts.
                  There are several tactics a team could try to end a scoring drought; 1) change the lineup on the floor, 2) switch up the tempo, 3) drive into the line & try to get the FT line, or 4) draw up a play designed to get someone an open look. I'm sure there are more ideas, but it seems like we try none of these, content to continue banging our heads against the wall while the minutes tick away along with our chances of winning the game.
                  I love Coach Jake, he's the best we've ever had, but all coaches have strengths and weaknesses and Jake has his share of weaknesses. When the shots aren't falling, we're doomed because Jake's weaknesses include offensive ingenuity, substitutions, and drawing up successful half court plays. I wish we had an offensive guru on the coaching staff who was in charge of that half of the court, but that'll never happen because part of Coach Jake's famed defensive philosophy includes taking minimal risks on offense and not bothering with offensive rebounding.

Comment

• Yesterday the drought started when Phyfe took a seat with about 12 minutes left. I will still never understand Jake taking him out when he did. We have 2 Valley first teamers plus Berhow who averages double digits, how we have droughts like that is amazing.

Comment

• Valpo is rolling. It would be pretty amazing if they pull this out.

Comment

• They did...

Comment

I agree with BC and others. This is BS. It’s not like UNI has been to multiple Sweet 16s since 2010. The program has done some good things over time, but we’ve done nothing to warrant this kind of snobbery. You seem to forget we’ve had some pretty lackluster seasons recently. Take the NIT auto bid and run with it.

Comment

Disagree...UNI will still be playing at least one more (or more) game. As a fan I’d be very proud to have a NIT Champion banner hanging in the rafters...

Comment

• I wholeheartedly understand and agree with the idea that we're "above" playing the CIT and CBI. But we are not too good for the NIT. Considering the last few years have been some of the worst of the young century for UNI hoops, I'll take it. Rather the NCAA's, but we weren't good enough for the NCAA's.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Why are you on this site R&B? You're really not much of a fan; even during our best seasons you whined and complained more than anything else.

I don't think you're dumb, but I also don't think you know that much more about basketball than anyone else on here.

Based on how you behave and what you write on here, even during our best seasons, it's really not that unfair of me to call you out.
                                I don’t care what anybody writes on here. You seem to need to rip the hell out of anybody and everybody that you disagrees with you.

I guess that it helps you to classify posters and proclaim it.

Fyi. I go to dump truck load of games for 20+ years.

imo it’s damn fair to be a uni fan and be upset the football team has yet to win a national title and the basketball team may have wasted the first two years of Green.
                                Last edited by run&blade; 03-08-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X