WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 31: Drake | MVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNIGrainer
    replied
    Was certain the Bison would be coming to McLeod but looks like with SDSU and USD losing they’ll be dancing.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Reminder the NCAA selection committee seeds the first two seed lines of the NIT, so if we're in that First Four or Eight out group (which seems likely) we will be a 1 or 2 seed.

However, being the optimist that I am, in 4 of the last 5 years the NCAA has thrown a surprise bone to a mid-major and sent them to Dayton. If ETSU wins tonight (and they should), I think we're in the position to be that team. Not holding my breath but not completely discounting it either. (2019-Belmont, 2018- St Bonaventure, 2016-Tulsa, 2015-Boise State)

Any way you look at it, this group is going to have a chance to play more and not let that game last Friday be the last thing you see on the court from them. It'll be REALLY nice to get out of the league and get to play somebody that doesn't know us.

Leave a comment:

• desertcat
    replied
    It was a heartbreaking loss. It's taken a couple days to get out of it's fog. But now I wanna win the NIT and start next year in the top 25.

Leave a comment:

• UNIChippewa
    replied
    Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
    Well, I decided to not write too soon after my short trip to St. Louis. Still tough - but the Iowa/Illinois game makes it a bit easier. Rant below, but then what is the internet for?

What an agonizing game. I thought that we had a full set of starters this season capable of scoring in multiple ways, so that we would not have the terrible droughts of the last few years. Wrong. But then we are not the only team that you could see this weekend with the same affliction. It is always dangerous to play a team three times (unavoidable in our conference) even if you have won the first two. Sometimes a week lay-off is good; sometimes seeing a new floor first and shooting on it is better. Depends on the team. Momentum and confidence are big in basketball - sometimes checking talent.

I couldn't believe the difference from a week ago (a road win, no less!). It looked like the team in the colored uniforms was the #1 seed and the team in whites was #8. The blues took the lead, weathered the storm of a come-back, and then blasted away. One team was ready, the other couldn't shoot - maybe because they were all clutching their trophy and multiple awards so much their shorts fell down to their ankles. Sorry, but it was bad. I have been going to UNI games for 54 years, but this is the first time I was tempted to leave before the end. Almost as bad as the A & M game, when I could not talk that night the whole distance driving from OKC to Wichita.

I give the guys credit for battling back. Then we wasted about five trips down the court where we could have tied it up or taken the lead. The rest was agony that turned into ridiculousness.

I'm ready to call it a season. I don't need a #16 seed or an NIT game in an empty McLeod.
    Even if we were to make it into the NCAA tournament (and I'm not holding my breath), we wouldn't be a 16 seed.

Leave a comment:

• GoPanthers85
    replied
    Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Eek. I get the frustration, but this is the wrong take. I think we sell tickets for next to nothing and bring in a big crowd during spring break when everyone not beaching it is looking for something to do.

Also, the NIT is not the CIT or CBI. It's worth something and we could make a run. If my team is playing, I'm going to be there.
    Same here. If I can make it, I plan on being there for the game.

Leave a comment:

• Born-a-Panther
    replied
    Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post

I'm ready to call it a season. I don't need a #16 seed or an NIT game in an empty McLeod.
    Eek. I get the frustration, but this is the wrong take. I think we sell tickets for next to nothing and bring in a big crowd during spring break when everyone not beaching it is looking for something to do.

Also, the NIT is not the CIT or CBI. It's worth something and we could make a run. If my team is playing, I'm going to be there.

Leave a comment:

• '70 Grad
    replied
    Well, I decided to not write too soon after my short trip to St. Louis. Still tough - but the Iowa/Illinois game makes it a bit easier. Rant below, but then what is the internet for?

What an agonizing game. I thought that we had a full set of starters this season capable of scoring in multiple ways, so that we would not have the terrible droughts of the last few years. Wrong. But then we are not the only team that you could see this weekend with the same affliction. It is always dangerous to play a team three times (unavoidable in our conference) even if you have won the first two. Sometimes a week lay-off is good; sometimes seeing a new floor first and shooting on it is better. Depends on the team. Momentum and confidence are big in basketball - sometimes checking talent.

I couldn't believe the difference from a week ago (a road win, no less!). It looked like the team in the colored uniforms was the #1 seed and the team in whites was #8. The blues took the lead, weathered the storm of a come-back, and then blasted away. One team was ready, the other couldn't shoot - maybe because they were all clutching their trophy and multiple awards so much their shorts fell down to their ankles. Sorry, but it was bad. I have been going to UNI games for 54 years, but this is the first time I was tempted to leave before the end. Almost as bad as the A & M game, when I could not talk that night the whole distance driving from OKC to Wichita.

I give the guys credit for battling back. Then we wasted about five trips down the court where we could have tied it up or taken the lead. The rest was agony that turned into ridiculousness.

Last edited by '70 Grad; 03-08-2020, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UNIChippewa
    replied
    Originally posted by run&blade View Post

I don’t care what anybody writes on here. You seem to need to rip the hell out of anybody and everybody that you disagrees with you.

I guess that it helps you to classify posters and proclaim it.

Fyi. I go to dump truck load of games for 20+ years.

imo it’s damn fair to be a uni fan and be upset the football team has yet to win a national title and the basketball team may have wasted the first two years of Green.
    No, not necessarily. And seriously, good for you for going to all the games that you do.

I rip on you because you're almost always negative, even during our best seasons. Even when something good happens, like having AJ Green commit to us, you were negative about it because he "fell into our lap" with his dad being a coach here.

When we made it to the Sweet 16 you tried to make the argument that it wasn't really that big of a deal.

Is winning the MVC regular season championship a wasted season?

Why are you so consistently negative?

Leave a comment:

• run&blade
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Why are you on this site R&B? You're really not much of a fan; even during our best seasons you whined and complained more than anything else.

I don't think you're dumb, but I also don't think you know that much more about basketball than anyone else on here.

Based on how you behave and what you write on here, even during our best seasons, it's really not that unfair of me to call you out.
    I don’t care what anybody writes on here. You seem to need to rip the hell out of anybody and everybody that you disagrees with you.

I guess that it helps you to classify posters and proclaim it.

Fyi. I go to dump truck load of games for 20+ years.

imo it’s damn fair to be a uni fan and be upset the football team has yet to win a national title and the basketball team may have wasted the first two years of Green.
    Last edited by run&blade; 03-08-2020, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sevelev711
    replied
    I wholeheartedly understand and agree with the idea that we're "above" playing the CIT and CBI. But we are not too good for the NIT. Considering the last few years have been some of the worst of the young century for UNI hoops, I'll take it. Rather the NCAA's, but we weren't good enough for the NCAA's.

Leave a comment:

• Panther'73
    replied
    Originally posted by uni1988 View Post
    If you have an up and coming team... then yes getting into the NIT is something to be proud of. We all thought UNI was or should have been an NCAA tournament team. So, for the Panthers, being in the NIT is nothing to be proud of. Ask anybody, what banner do you want hanging in the rafters... 2020 NCAA Tournament or 2020 NIT Champion?
    Disagree...UNI will still be playing at least one more (or more) game. As a fan I’d be very proud to have a NIT Champion banner hanging in the rafters...

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by uni1988 View Post
    If you have an up and coming team... then yes getting into the NIT is something to be proud of. We all thought UNI was or should have been an NCAA tournament team. So, for the Panthers, being in the NIT is nothing to be proud of. Ask anybody, what banner do you want hanging in the rafters... 2020 NCAA Tournament or 2020 NIT Champion?
    I agree with BC and others. This is BS. It’s not like UNI has been to multiple Sweet 16s since 2010. The program has done some good things over time, but we’ve done nothing to warrant this kind of snobbery. You seem to forget we’ve had some pretty lackluster seasons recently. Take the NIT auto bid and run with it.

Leave a comment:

• Panther'73
    replied
    They did...

Leave a comment:

• ceaser150
    replied
    Valpo is rolling. It would be pretty amazing if they pull this out.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Yesterday the drought started when Phyfe took a seat with about 12 minutes left. I will still never understand Jake taking him out when he did. We have 2 Valley first teamers plus Berhow who averages double digits, how we have droughts like that is amazing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X