WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*2020 offseason thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNIhoops
    replied
    Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    We're not losing guys. Loyola's not losing guys. Bradley's not losing guys. Indiana State's not losing guys.

Programs that know who they are, are consistent and recruit the right kind of kids not only tend to win more, they don't lose players.

I would say we have improved because of the transfer game. Loyola and others as well. I feel like it's given us a chance at 3 Star and above recruits.

Leave a comment:

• ronfitch
    replied
    Other MVC news, Ill State guard Lijah Donnelly entered the transfer portal Tuesday as well:

He was not a starter last year, but was just put on scholarship in January and is the fourth Ill State player to leave the program this season.

Leave a comment:

• Gboom23
    replied
    Speaking of Indiana State, is Greg going to keep his job? I hope so. I think he was on the hot seat (maybe even the AD had said they needed to win Arch Madness for him to stick around)? Then all the coronavirus stuff happened and maybe that changed the plans? I would imagine it would be tough to bring in a new coach right now.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    We're not losing guys. Loyola's not losing guys. Bradley's not losing guys. Indiana State's not losing guys.

Programs that know who they are, are consistent and recruit the right kind of kids not only tend to win more, they don't lose players.

Leave a comment:

• orangetennis
    replied
    The current state of NCAA transfers makes me think of NFL contract holdouts. As soon as a guy thinks he's better than the program he's in he wants to leave his school high and dry and transfer to the big program.
    Just another advantage for the P5 over midmajors.

Leave a comment:

• MNpanthers
    replied
    Ouch, not sure why I thought the valley would be able to retain all this talent. Every time there's a whisper of a good Valley, the transfer portal bites us.

I'm not always happy with our recruiting, but our ability to retain talent is unparalleled in the Valley. Using our pipelines, building tons of trust and making sure they're onboard with the system before they even set foot on campus.

Could we be a little more aggressive with recruiting, yes, but this is the risk in the current state of mid majors.

Leave a comment:

• sevelev711
    replied
    Welp, JLF just hit the transfer portal, so there goes Valpo.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

It might sound stupid, but watching him in pregame is something you never see. He's going 100% when others lolly gag. There's one drill where the shooter starts in the corner, goes off a screen and takes a shot. No offense against the other guys, but compare his approach vs anybody else... and that's why he's as good as he is. Every play/drill is taken seriously.
    Exactly. Don't remember who the interview was with but said something to the effect of 'every rep that you don't take seriously is a chance that you just wasted to get better'. Stunning maturity for a kid that age.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
    I do believe AJ will play in the league. Watching his pregame routine in person is pretty impressive. He already has the approach of a professional.
    ​​​​​​
    It might sound stupid, but watching him in pregame is something you never see. He's going 100% when others lolly gag. There's one drill where the shooter starts in the corner, goes off a screen and takes a shot. No offense against the other guys, but compare his approach vs anybody else... and that's why he's as good as he is. Every play/drill is taken seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Blue42
    replied
    Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    Courier article about this. https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...=home-breaking To no one's surprise, he's testing the waters, getting some feedback. Also talks a bit about him working out with Tuttle. He/we could be in for a very special season.
    Good article. Very helpful to understand how AJ, his family and Jake are approaching this.

Seems like a no lose situation for AJ. Get the feedback and have another year or two to work on those things. Doesn't cost you anything. And you learn the process. Why not do it.

I do believe AJ will play in the league. Watching his pregame routine in person is pretty impressive. He already has the approach of a professional.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    I haven’t yet read the article, but I’d guess he’s doing this more for feedback than anything. It will give him an idea of areas he needs to work on to get to the next level. This isn’t uncommon. Joe Wieskamp did the same thing, as did a few of the Iowa State guys who were good enough to be considered NBA prospects.

Leave a comment:

• sevelev711
    replied
    Courier article about this. https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...=home-breaking To no one's surprise, he's testing the waters, getting some feedback. Also talks a bit about him working out with Tuttle. He/we could be in for a very special season.

Leave a comment:

• sevelev711
    replied
    Alright, just to clarify the following statement I'm about to make, UNI is a better team with AJ Green. UNI is a better team with AJ Green. UNI IS A BETTER TEAM WITH AJ GREEN.

Now that being said, we wouldn't be in as bad of a spot as one would expect if AJ decides to leave.

Again, UNI IS A BETTER TEAM WITH AJ GREEN. With him, UNI should realistically crack the top 25 next year. But without him, we'd be top 3 in the MVC.

But he's gonna come back, so it's moot.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
    AJ declares for draft. 99.99% chance he returns though.
    I can't imagine he leaves. Really, it's a great thing for him as a player moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• DownGoesKansas
    replied
    AJ declares for draft. 99.99% chance he returns though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X