WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*2020 offseason thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
    NCAA expected to approve immediate transfer eligibility. Will be interesting to see if Mar plays or takes the year.
    He sounded pretty intent on redshirting, there was no mention of even attempting a waiver.

Given his injury situation the last couple years, and Ty and Trae both being seniors this year I would think it's in the programs best interest (as well as his playing time) to sit him this year. Give the body a chance to heal, give him a development year in the system, don't "waste" his year with limited time being split between Trae, Ty and Noah (which could slow Noah's growth and we saw the very tip of the iceberg with Noah last year, kid is going to be real for this program.)

Outside of a late grad transfer (or Krogmann) I don't know that final scholarship goes anywhere
    GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
      NCAA expected to approve immediate transfer eligibility. Will be interesting to see if Mar plays or takes the year.
      This certainly will be nice to have in our back pocket just in case the injury bug decides to strike this year.

Comment

I agree, let him redshirt. Also with COVID, summer workouts might non existant, so picking up the offense might take extra time.

Stupid question of the day... is there any benefit to not using a scholarship?
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
          I agree, let him redshirt. Also with COVID, summer workouts might non existant, so picking up the offense might take extra time.

Stupid question of the day... is there any benefit to not using a scholarship?
          About 18k, plus travel costs of the kid, banked
          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Just my opinion, but I think he plays this year, he's a replacement for Brown. I think Jake knew there was a good possibility the waiver rule would change.

Comment

Eh. I think it's easier to replace Brown this year then it will be to replace Trae and Pick next year. Unless Heise/Tytan/Henry are further along then we'd expect them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                Eh. I think it's easier to replace Brown this year then it will be to replace Trae and Pick next year. Unless Heise/Tytan/Henry are further along then we'd expect them to be.
                If Mar plays this season you could afford to redshirt Tytan. Brown to Mar then Mar to Tytan > Brown to Pickford.
                IMO Pickford is not a great wing defender, Mar and Tytan should be that.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

IMO Pickford is not a great wing defender
                  The current head coach for UNI wholeheartedly disagrees with you, I trust his opinion more than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

The current head coach for UNI wholeheartedly disagrees with you, I trust his opinion more than yours.
                    I guess we'll see. It's telling to me that Jake transferred in a defensive first 2/3 type to compete with Pickford the moment Brown graduated. It will be even more telling if Mar plays this season when allowed to by the NCAA.
                    Pickford has slow feet on the perimeter against quick ball handlers. He's not as tall/long as Brown so he's not able to make up for it in the same way Isaiah was. I think Mar and Tytan will be quicker defenders with their feet and they are also very long. I think they'll be more similar defenders to Brown than Pickford is.
                    I'm not saying that Pickford is a poor defender, I'm saying he's not his best on the wing, and he's not a shut down defender. I think Mar and Tytan were brought in to be shut down defenders.
                    Obviously this is all my opinion, whether you trust it or not.

Comment

• AJ declares for draft. 99.99% chance he returns though.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                        AJ declares for draft. 99.99% chance he returns though.
                        I can't imagine he leaves. Really, it's a great thing for him as a player moving forward.
                        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Alright, just to clarify the following statement I'm about to make, UNI is a better team with AJ Green. UNI is a better team with AJ Green. UNI IS A BETTER TEAM WITH AJ GREEN.

Now that being said, we wouldn't be in as bad of a spot as one would expect if AJ decides to leave.

Again, UNI IS A BETTER TEAM WITH AJ GREEN. With him, UNI should realistically crack the top 25 next year. But without him, we'd be top 3 in the MVC.

But he's gonna come back, so it's moot.

Comment

• Courier article about this. https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...=home-breaking To no one's surprise, he's testing the waters, getting some feedback. Also talks a bit about him working out with Tuttle. He/we could be in for a very special season.

Comment

• I haven’t yet read the article, but I’d guess he’s doing this more for feedback than anything. It will give him an idea of areas he needs to work on to get to the next level. This isn’t uncommon. Joe Wieskamp did the same thing, as did a few of the Iowa State guys who were good enough to be considered NBA prospects.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                                Courier article about this. https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...=home-breaking To no one's surprise, he's testing the waters, getting some feedback. Also talks a bit about him working out with Tuttle. He/we could be in for a very special season.
                                Good article. Very helpful to understand how AJ, his family and Jake are approaching this.

Seems like a no lose situation for AJ. Get the feedback and have another year or two to work on those things. Doesn't cost you anything. And you learn the process. Why not do it.

I do believe AJ will play in the league. Watching his pregame routine in person is pretty impressive. He already has the approach of a professional.
                                ​​​​​​
                                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                                X