WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*2020 offseason thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *2020 offseason thread*

Its here...

AJ, Phyfe, and Trae are back to lead the defending MVC Champs in ‘20-21 for what should be another fantastic year.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Well assuming the NCAA doesn't give everyone an extra year, which I feel is the safe assumption at this point, let's look at who we got:

Returners:

AJ (for sure starter)
    Phyfe (for sure starter)
    Trae (for sure starter)
    Pickford (for sure starter)
    Carter
    Kimmons
    Betz

Then for new (and redshirted) guys we've got:

Henry
    Krogmann
    Anderson
    Born
    Heise

First thing I notice is that we're missing a scholarship here, 12 out of 13. Are we banking it, giving it to a walk-on, planning on a transfer or waiting for a late pickup? Seems odd that it hasn't been talked about too much.

Second thing, holy smokes. Even if you take out the four players who are definitely starters, that team probably doesn't finish last in the MVC. Now we're going to red shirt someone, probably, but even still, I really want to see more bench play next year. Hopefully Jacobson's now going to be nervous about riding the starters so hard and open up the bench, similar to him being nervous about going away from the starters over the last few years because of A&M.

Comment

I don't even know what to expect after the starting 5. I'd imagine Carter becomes the first guy off the bench and gets a lot of minutes. Also have to think Betz role increases significantly. I do wonder if Borns shooting ability gets him past Kimmons on the depth chart, but Kimmons can really make a difference defensively, so I don't know. I would think a freshman has to redshirt, but all seem pretty capable right now, so who knows
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Also, I don't know that it'll translate to anything, but spring sports athletes have been granted an extra year of eligibility. Makes sense since most (if not all) sports hadn't started or were early in the season. They will reportedly be discussing similar with winter sport athletes.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
          Also, I don't know that it'll translate to anything, but spring sports athletes have been granted an extra year of eligibility. Makes sense since most (if not all) sports hadn't started or were early in the season. They will reportedly be discussing similar with winter sport athletes.
          Spring sports was a no brainer.

Doing anything for Winter Sports would be silly, if we are being completely honest.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Spring sports was a no brainer.

Doing anything for Winter Sports would be silly, if we are being completely honest.
            Yes, but we are talking about the N$C$A$A. Nothing really surprises me any more. Sadly.
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...4/#145046364_2. UNI getting some preseason love just as they should next year.

Comment

Caleb Grill leaving ISU. Seems like a guy UNI could go after, But who knows what he is looking for; closer to home with Gregggggg or UNLV with Otz who he committed to, or a better environment like UNI. I have no idea.

Comment

We should absolutely be looking into filling that last spot with a transfer. Hayden Koval(eligble 2021) from Central Arkansas is a 7-footer that is adequate from distance and is a rim protector. The transfer portal is stacked.
                  Last edited by dgcb28; 03-23-2020, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Rima’s OPR was cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherhelmet View Post
                      Rima’s OPR was cancelled?
                      Comes to an end this Friday.

Rima talks about it on today's show, starts just after four minutes in: http://onpressrow.com/test/2020/03/2...-tavern-grill/
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Biggie lands with Tennessee Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                          Biggie lands with Tennessee Tech.
                          Good for him. Only one season left for him to play, right? I hope he has a decent season.

Comment

Aaron Cook is going to be transfering from SIU. That's a biiiiiiig blow to the conference, with him staying, I could honestly have seen SIU making a little noise early on, maybe even have a non-conference that resembled UNI a bit, something like 9-2 with a P5 win. Would've been great for the MVC to have three teams getting some early attention (assuming that UNI and Loyola would). Now, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                              Aaron Cook is going to be transfering from SIU. That's a biiiiiiig blow to the conference, with him staying, I could honestly have seen SIU making a little noise early on, maybe even have a non-conference that resembled UNI a bit, something like 9-2 with a P5 win. Would've been great for the MVC to have three teams getting some early attention (assuming that UNI and Loyola would). Now, I don't know.
                              SIU was going to be real bad next year, even with him.

They've quietly had Wichita State level departures from their program. IIRC Mullins is at 6 or 7 open rides for next year right now.

Right now they have

Seniors
                              PF Will Keller (JUCO) - 5 games no stats of any value (Think Luke McDonnell this year)
                              C Stevan Jeremic - 10 games no stats of value (Think Luke McDonnell this year)

Juniors - all new this year
                              PG Malik Zacher (JUCO)
                              PG Rudi Williams(JUCO)
                              SG Ben Harvey (RS last year after transferring from EIU)
                              SG Tariq Silver (JUCO)

Sophomores
                              PG Trent Brown - 32 games 2.8 ppg 1 apg 1.1 rpb 20.5 mpg
                              SG Lance Jones - 26 starts 9.3 ppg .7 spg .9 bpg 4.5 rpg 27 mpg
                              SF Marcus Domask - 32 starts 13.6 ppg .9 spg 2.5 apg 5.2 rbg 34.8 mpg
                              PF Seku Dembele - 10 games 1.6 ppg 2.0 rpg 82 mpg

Freshman
                              PG Dalton Banks
                              PG Eric Butler

Starters gone
                              C Barret Benson - 32 starts 10.6 ppg .9 bpg 5.6 rpg .9 apg 27.0 mpg
                              SG Eric McGill 31 starts 11.2 ppg 1.3 spg 2.7 aog 4.5 rpg 33.1 mpg
                              PG Ronnie Suggs - 26 starts 5.3 ppg .8 apg 2.9 rpg 24.5 mpg

Transfers out
                              Aaron Cook - 15 ppg 3.2 spg 3.3 apg 3.0 rbg 31.2 mpg- was starter/best player before getting hurt
                              Harwin Francois - 31 games 6 starts 4.2 ppg 2.2 rpb 16.2 mpg
                              Karrington Davis - 25 games 3.0 ppg 1.6 rpg 11.6 mpg
                              Brendan Gooch - 28 games 1.3 ppg 6.8 mpg

They return 3 total players who actually played any real minutes last year.

Mullins went all in on JUCOs to try to save this season. I doubt it works, but we will see. He has no inside presence left. Domask is a hybrid and plays more outside. Demele isn't much of an inside presense. The two seniors they will have are not players that should see the floor.

They are in trouble this year.

Last edited by clenz; 03-30-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X