WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*2020 offseason thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    Aaron Cook is going to be transfering from SIU. That's a biiiiiiig blow to the conference, with him staying, I could honestly have seen SIU making a little noise early on, maybe even have a non-conference that resembled UNI a bit, something like 9-2 with a P5 win. Would've been great for the MVC to have three teams getting some early attention (assuming that UNI and Loyola would). Now, I don't know.
    Indiana State, Valpo, Drake and Missouri State all have a chance to be Top 100 type teams. UNI and Loyola should both be Top 50. SIU was going to be fighting to stay out of Thursday no matter who came back.

Next year is going to be the strongest Valley year since 2013. League is older, deeper and generally more talented than at any point since both Wichita and Creighton were in the league.
    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

They return 3 total players who actually played any real minutes last year.
      Careful with that as we only return 4 with regular minutes, although two were 1st team All-Conference, a third was snubbed and the fourth was freshman of the year and will be a senior looking to finish with a bang. Twan and Noah both played parts but a chunk of their points were against the D-III and Evansville.

Comment

Missouri State just announced today that Tyrik Dixon and Ford Cooper are transferring out, now, too. Drake also announced that Antonio Pillipovic was transferring out. Not a huge piece to Drake but he played significant minutes behind Robbins. Maybe I haven't paid as close of attention to how many people transfer to and from the programs in the past, but it seems like the Valley is getting hit hard this year.
        Last edited by PantherAlum09; 03-31-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I thought Pililopovic played really well when Robbins had to come out in the 2nd of the Arch Madness game.

And now I need to drink more to forget that game happened

Comment

What's going on at SIU? Bit of an exodus out of Carbondale.

Wasn't expecting that as seemed they had some momentum building.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
              What's going on at SIU? Bit of an exodus out of Carbondale.

Wasn't expecting that as seemed they had some momentum building.
              Mullins brought guys in last minute for his first year at SIU.
              After the season they had time to actually develop relationships and it was rushed on all sides

The mass exodus now gives him the ability for it to be his roster, and his roster, alone. Having said that, I have some concern moving forward.

Mullins seems to be taking the Hinson approach and not recruiting anyone over 6'5. They have 1 center, 1 power forward, and then everyone else that is listed as a PG or SG and under 6'5. This year about half their roster is looking to be JUCO kids in their first year with the program and transfers from schools like EIU.

They overachieved for about 10 days last season, which put a patch over a season that otherwise was not great, and were bailed out by how bad the bottom 3 or 4 happened to be.

Missouri State is turning into exactly what many thought it would turn into with Dana. He's not a great X and O guy. I don't think he's super likable. It was clear what his plan was from day 1 in Springfield - recruit the most athletic kids he could, thinking he could out athlete the conference, and move on to a bigger job within 2 or 3 years. He failed and now they are left with the fall out of that, and a big buy out for him, with him having no chance at a bigger job and bailing them out of his contract.

As long as Drake has Robbins they'll be okay. I do wonder, looking at their recruiting, what the long term situation for Drake is. Caught the worst conference in 20 years in year 1, and back to a bit of reality in year 2. If you look at recruiting they are completely ignoring Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. The only offers they have to Iowa kids are Darian's kid's and his kids best friend. They have 1 offer to a kid from Minnesota - after that it is entirely Illinois and Virginia kids that they have no shot at landing. Robins is going into his third year, and it wouldn't shock me if he isn't at Drake for his senior season.

Comment

The DMR has a "recruiting mailbag" article today. It said all 4 Iowa D1 schools have reached out to Carton, and Iowa St seems to be the most aggressive. Also it mentioned 2 other transfers we've been in contact with - Calvin Wishart (from Minnesota) from Georgia Southern and Nigel Hawkins from UTEP. Both were sophomores this season, but Hawkins entered the transfer portal in December, so he has 2.5 years of eligibility left. The head coach at Georgia Southern left, so Wishart may be able to get immediate eligibility?
                Last edited by CyCarp; 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                  The DMR has a "recruiting mailbag" article today. It said all 4 Iowa D1 schools have reached out to Carton, and Iowa St seems to be the most aggressive. Also it mentioned 2 other transfers we've been in contact with - Calvin Wishart (from Minnesota) from Georgia Southern and Nigel Hawkins from UTEP. Both were sophomores this season, but Hawkins entered the transfer portal in December, so he has 2.5 years of eligibility left. The head coach at Georgia Southern left, so Wishart may be able to get immediate eligibility?
                  Interesting. Both listed as PG (Wishart 6'1", Hawkins 6'4") by VerbalCommits.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                    Interesting. Both listed as PG (Wishart 6'1", Hawkins 6'4") by VerbalCommits.
                    Tbf Verbal Commits still has Ty Anderson listed as a 5'10" PG, they don't exactly player information like that except for the bigger players.

Comment

FWIW, Wishart is listed at 6'2" in his Georgia Southern profile and Hawkins 6'4" in his UTEP profile.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Does anyone know what our chances are for getting either one of these transfers we're looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post
                          Does anyone know what our chances are for getting either one of these transfers we're looking at?
                          Not zero at this point

Comment

Per the teams Twitter account, I'm guessing this has to do with scheduling, maybe...?

Something special is happening! Tune in tomorrow starting at 10 am! #UNIFight

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                              Per the teams Twitter account, I'm guessing this has to do with scheduling, maybe...?

Something special is happening! Tune in tomorrow starting at 10 am! #UNIFight
                              Seems awfully early to have a complete schedule, last year we didn't get the full thing until mid-May. Didn't even get the Colorado game reported until mid-April. Not to mention all the stuff going on.

I can't imagine that it's a scheduling thing unless it's a massive get, like a home and home with a respected P5 or something. I'm hoping but also not at all expecting it to be a DJ Carton (or for an amazing amount of salt, Robbins) commitment announcement.

One thing's for sure, it'll either be really cool or really underwhelming.

Comment

Yea, I have a feeling it'll be something pretty underwhelming, but it's fun to think big. When we played UNC (not saying it would be that big) I'm pretty sure it was announced before the full schedule. I have a hard time seeing it being a commit, because I don't think we're in a signing period, and a team announcing it when the LOI isn't signed doesn't seem right, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X