WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*2020 offseason thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

Bahahaha no way what UNI is doing on its Twitter feed is worse than an entire university switching its entire marketing campaign to D+
    I'd agree with this.

That became national news - they paid 6 figures for that thing. Defended it on/in national news agencies like NBC News, Sports Illustrated, etc. and then quickly made it go away without even saying a word.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

I'd agree with this.

That became national news - they paid 6 figures for that thing. Defended it on/in national news agencies like NBC News, Sports Illustrated, etc. and then quickly made it go away without even saying a word.
      What did Drake do?

Comment

Originally posted by hediondo19 View Post

What did Drake do?
        https://www.adweek.com/creativity/dr...s-big-d-12277/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/d-drakes-new-marketing-ca_b_703952

Comment

10 years. Has it been that long already?

Gone but never forgotten

I'd say the fact a decade later and people still make fun of this - while this simulation will be forgotten about within the week - tells the difference.

Comment

So that's where the D+ name came from!

Ooof!

Comment

Also as more proof it was national

CBS News
              https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drake-u...failing-grade/

Huffington Post
              https://www.huffpost.com/entry/d-dra...ng-ca_b_703952

Washington Post
              http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cam...lf_as_a_d.html

Denver Post
              https://www.denverpost.com/2010/09/1...d-ad-campaign/

Yahoo
              If you were going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a higher education, would you want the end result to be known as a "D+" education? Probably not. And therein lies the problem some have with Drake University's new marketing campaign. Touting the ways it can help students  "be transformed by an experience [...]

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                Aaron Cook to Gonzaga. Wow
                Conference loses another high level player. Unfortunately probably the way of the future.
                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post

Conference loses another high level player. Unfortunately probably the way of the future.
                  He only played 6 games last year. He's a good player but I struggle to figure out what his role is at Zaga. 6-2 guy that isn't a great shooter doesn't seem to fit what they do.
                  #MACtion

Comment

One, lol, didn't realize that the D+ thing was a real thing that they tried.

Two, the massive amount of transfers in the MVC this offseason really make me appreciate the consistency that we have here. When's the last time we've even had a transfer from UNI who went to a """better""" school?

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

He only played 6 games last year. He's a good player but I struggle to figure out what his role is at Zaga. 6-2 guy that isn't a great shooter doesn't seem to fit what they do.
                      Gonzaga one of the best programs in the country. Pretty sure if they want the kid, he would have been an asset to the Mo. Valley.
                      "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

No doubt a big blow for the Valley.

The transfer market is so crazy. Iowa fans mock Toppin because "He couldn't do in the Big Ten". But then the 3rd best underclassmen center from the Valley becomes available and all of a sudden he's the best player available (he is a very good player and a big blow dont get me wrong). But Fans hear the word transfer and that player gets 5 times better. It is dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by domedays View Post

Gonzaga one of the best programs in the country. Pretty sure if they want the kid, he would have been an asset to the Mo. Valley.
                          An asset? Sure.

Played sparringly as a freshman.
                          Had a decent sophomore year and made the most improved team (largely because he went from 10 mpg to 30 mpg - though his per 40 and eff numbers were almost identical
                          His JR year were actually worse numbers per 40, eff, and especially shooting than his sophomore year and didn't make any all conference teams.

Was off to a real nice start this year, sure.Then you realize his numbers were against Illinois Weslyan, UTSA, Delaware, Okaland, San Fransisco, and Murray State before they figured it out.

UTSA 11th in CUSA
                          UD 4th in the CAA
                          Oakland 6th in Horizon
                          USF 5th in WCC
                          Murray State went 7-6 outside of the OVC - including a loss to Evansville

He would have been a nice piece for SIU, and it would be great for programs to keep players like that. A kid leaving for on a graduate season from a bad program, with a coach that didn't recruit him, and has had over half his roster turn over (even ignoring him) this year is mostly meh overall. He wasn't going to keep them from being a Thursday team.

The number of transfers this year looks bad - thus far Robbins is the one guy that actually seems to be of significance. The rest seem to be bench guys who never saw the court outside of Conrey minutes, and they all seem to be going lower conferences.
                          Last edited by clenz; 04-08-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                            The rest seem to be bench guys who never saw the court outside of Conrey minutes, and they all seem to be going lower conferences.
                            6 Valley transfers have committed so far - to Minnesota, Gonzaga, Tulsa, Tennessee Tech, McNeese St, and Hutchinson Community College. 11 other guys are in the portal yet and I don't know that anybody else transfers up. Maybe Tyrik Dixon, but I doubt it.
                            Last edited by CyCarp; 04-08-2020, 03:58 PM.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

NCAA expected to approve immediate transfer eligibility. Will be interesting to see if Mar plays or takes the year.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                                NCAA expected to approve immediate transfer eligibility. Will be interesting to see if Mar plays or takes the year.
                                Tbh I'd both expect and hope that he takes the year. Injuries plagued him his whole career, it'd be great for him to take a full year to heal up, so that his one year is a good one. Not to mention that next year, we're not gonna need someone like him. There's already gonna be a question mark on playing time, right now there's already, what, 11 players who have a shot of getting decent playing time, two of which are guaranteed to get over 35 minutes a game? We'd need him more the next year when we lose both Trae and Tywhon.

Comment

Working...
                                X