WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*2020 offseason thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by panther-state View Post

True. Honestly I can buy into this year being a "fluke" and they'll be back as a tourney-caliber team next year. Just surprised to see them all the way in the top 20
    Exactly, they've got 4 HS All American's coming in this year. Plus, they didn't have their best player for most of last year and it was a 'down' year talent-wise for Roy.

Leave a comment:

• panther-state
    replied
    Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post

One of those sub .500 teams is UNC, they could go winless and still be ranked in the top 25 the next year so I don't read to much into it.
    True. Honestly I can buy into this year being a "fluke" and they'll be back as a tourney-caliber team next year. Just surprised to see them all the way in the top 20

Leave a comment:

• GoPanthers85
    replied
    Originally posted by panther-state View Post
    Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 50 rankings

Iowa #4

UNI #48

14 teams with less than 20 wins last season are ranked ahead of us, including 3 teams that were under .500 last year...makes sense.
    One of those sub .500 teams is UNC, they could go winless and still be ranked in the top 25 the next year so I don't read to much into it.

Leave a comment:

• sevelev711
    replied
    That's fine, we'll just have to learn 'em.

Leave a comment:

• panther-state
    replied
    Jeff Goodman's Preseason Top 50 rankings

Iowa #4

UNI #48

14 teams with less than 20 wins last season are ranked ahead of us, including 3 teams that were under .500 last year...makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

According to 24/7, UNI is among the nine offers he received in high school and the only place he visited (UNI also offered to his teammate, who ended up at Wolford).

His first year at UMass, he played in 29 games and started four of those. Sophomore year, he missed the first five of the season for personal reasons, played in the next six (starting the last two) and then entered the transfer portal.
    Out of HS he looked like a top priority for us, at least for a while. Many on here were really hoping to get him, myself included. I think the fact that we still have a ride open and haven't offered says a lot.

Leave a comment:

• ronfitch
    replied
    Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
    Interesting note, Sy Chatman received an offer from Illinois St this week. A guy we had ties to out of HS, but according to some people, had a bit of a personality problem at UMass. I guess the personality issue theory still makes sense, because I haven't heard about about us talking to him and Illinois St is... well, Illinois St.
    According to 24/7, UNI is among the nine offers he received in high school and the only place he visited (UNI also offered to his teammate, who ended up at Wolford).

His first year at UMass, he played in 29 games and started four of those. Sophomore year, he missed the first five of the season for personal reasons, played in the next six (starting the last two) and then entered the transfer portal.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Interesting note, Sy Chatman received an offer from Illinois St this week. A guy we had ties to out of HS, but according to some people, had a bit of a personality problem at UMass. I guess the personality issue theory still makes sense, because I haven't heard about about us talking to him and Illinois St is... well, Illinois St.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    This year should rival the Sweet 16 and Tuttle teams, next year should surpass it as the best team in school history.

Leave a comment:

• DecadePanther
    replied
    We are going to be extremely good this year and there's a lot to be excited about! And while I was thinking about it I thought about the 2021-22 season. That team will be LOADED with talent!

Leave a comment:

• UNIdad
    replied
    Originally posted by JD720 View Post
    It's a pay article, but The Athletic as UNI at #1 in their mid-major poll (not counting Gonzaga as a Mid Major of course).

https://theathletic.com/1845242/2020...ge-basketball/

Football and basketball are looking great in these preseason polls.

Leave a comment:

• JD720
    replied
    It's a pay article, but The Athletic as UNI at #1 in their mid-major poll (not counting Gonzaga as a Mid Major of course).

https://theathletic.com/1845242/2020...ge-basketball/

Leave a comment:

• sivert
    replied
    Perhaps they don’t want to play us at all.
    But it is also possible that the sticking point is the loss of a home game.
    My thinking is that we traveled pretty well to Des Moines, so we would travel the shorter distance to IaCity. If we compromised on playing away only in exchange for having 4000 tickets available to our fans until a certain date.
    Our 4K would out yell their 10k. It would be like NET credit for an away that felt neutral.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Don't worry guys, Iowa already has a gauntlet in their non conference...

Southern
    NC Central
    South Dakota
    Chattanooga
    Kansas City
    Iowa State
    Northern Illinois
    Alabama St

No off campus MTE
    Gavitt Games
    B1G/ACC

Leave a comment:

• Wxcpanther
    replied
    Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

without a return trip?? No thank you.
    Honestly, I'm ok with a one off. It's a moot point though because ending the Big Four Classic made it very clear Iowa has no interest in playing UNI, period. Home, neutral, or away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X