WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DJ Carton Transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A Born-Carton-Green-Berhow-Phyfe lineup puts up 100 points a game."

Substitute Carter for Carton and you could still cause headaches for the defense with a 4-out offense. Put Austin on the block where he belongs and the others on the arc. Very difficult to double-team. Phyfe shoots 60%, the others 40% (which is an effective 60% from 2, right?). If you make 60% of your field goals overall, isn't that 1.2 points per possession? (Not sure how to account for offensive rebounds.)

Comment

Originally posted by rhoho View Post
      Who knows if Jake or anyone on the staff has even reached out to him. I like our chances if we can just get a word in with him and let him know what he would be looking at. Exposure with him and AJ together, Conference titles, top 25 rankings= sportscenter highlights every game, NCAA tourney births= more expsoure
      It's not always the coaches reaching out to start contact.....fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

It's not always the coaches reaching out to start contact.....fwiw.
        This is accurate.
        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
          While normally I wouldn't expect UNI to be in the running for a guy like Carton...if a kid like him wants to get back home and play in a program with a very good, supportive culture, I could see him taking a close look.

Especially given what Jake has going with a large collection of Iowa kids who Carton surely knows who are starting to build something pretty interesting in Cedar Falls

Not saying it's gonna happen...but if it ever were I think it's now.
          This potential transfer wouldn’t get past the initial question. Jacobsen would never move Green off of pg for the greater good of the team. He hasn’t done it the first two seasons and wouldn’t do it here either...unless Green and his dad himself offered this as a potential solution. From Carton’s standpoint, anything shy of a lay down for him simply wouldn’t work so this doesn’t work on either side. The old adage “this town isn’t big enough for the both of us” would be fitting. I said UNI would never make the NCAA tournament with Green at pg and I stand by that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
            I really wonder what appeal Drake has to him...
            Coach and style. Close to home. More manageable situation for him

Comment

Originally posted by rhoho View Post
              No way he goes to Drake. I would say UNI has a better shot than D+. If he came to UNI, UNI would be a top 10 team next year in my opinion. Dayton of this year
              I’m rooting like hell for this to happen because if you are game, I’d love to make a bet with you that you simply cannot refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                I'm already setting myself up for disappointment, dreaming about the lineups that he could be a part of. A Born-Carton-Green-Berhow-Phyfe lineup puts up 100 points a game. Gives up probably 90 points a game, but still. You could also work it so that Green and Carton both get a decent amount of rest, staggering their bench minutes so that there's no time when both are off the floor.
                Just wow. First off. Lineups don’t work like that. You don’t just take your top 5 offensive threats and throw them out there. That’s not how athletics work. Secondly, you have three pg’s listed (since Jacobson seemingly doesn’t understand green is better suited as a wing. Finally, born doesn’t have a college body yet and won’t for a while. It’s highly likely he redshirts. I don’t see him ever playing quality minutes with any of those names listed with the possible exception of carton who is extremely unlikely to be in CF for reasons already mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Just wow. First off. Lineups don’t work like that. You don’t just take your top 5 offensive threats and throw them out there. That’s not how athletics work. Secondly, you have three pg’s listed (since Jacobson seemingly doesn’t understand green is better suited as a wing. Finally, born doesn’t have a college body yet and won’t for a while. It’s highly likely he redshirts. I don’t see him ever playing quality minutes with any of those names listed with the possible exception of carton who is extremely unlikely to be in CF for reasons already mentioned
                  Your comments on Born are so wrong I don't know where to start.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Wow, yeah, blocking Mudra was a smart idea, I didn't even know he made that comment until I saw it quoted just there. Don't recall who told me about that, but props to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

This potential transfer wouldn’t get past the initial question. Jacobsen would never move Green off of pg for the greater good of the team. He hasn’t done it the first two seasons and wouldn’t do it here either...unless Green and his dad himself offered this as a potential solution. From Carton’s standpoint, anything shy of a lay down for him simply wouldn’t work so this doesn’t work on either side. The old adage “this town isn’t big enough for the both of us” would be fitting. I said UNI would never make the NCAA tournament with Green at pg and I stand by that statement.
                      I love it when Mudra drops in like a rainbow for us to enjoy...
                      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

AJ playing point has never worked...except this year when we won a conference title outright.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                          AJ playing point has never worked...except this year when we won a conference title outright.
                          Pffft. Semantics. Lots of teams go 25-6...
                          #MACtion

Comment

We had the 3rd most wins in program history this year. Won the MVC title for the first time in a decade. And had one of the best offenses in the entire country with our 1k point scoring Valley MVP Sophomore PG and Mudra thinks we are garbage with a bleak future.

lmao
                            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                              We had the 3rd most wins in program history this year. Won the MVC title for the first time in a decade. And had one of the best offenses in the entire country with our 1k point scoring Valley MVP Sophomore PG and Mudra thinks we are garbage with a bleak future.

lmao
                              There's a reason a lot of people have him on ignore. Makes things much better on here.

Comment

This article from the Register says we did reach out to Carton, but it does not sound promising. Sounds like Iowa State is a more likely landing spot.

​​​​​​https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ed/5103715002/

It also mentions a couple of other transfers that we are looking at:

​​​​​​Calvin Wishart, the Georgia Southern guard who's originally from Delano, Minnesota, and UTEP guard Nigel Hawkins.

Comment

Working...
                                X