WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undercutting vs Boxing Out and Over-the-Back vs Offensive Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undercutting vs Boxing Out and Over-the-Back vs Offensive Freedom

I think we all remember this play: With 43 seconds left in the game UNI has a one point lead over West Virginia. WVU has the ball, shoots, misses, and with 17 seconds on the clock WVU guard Emmitt Matthews jump over UNI's Spencer Haldeman and tips in the missed shot. Here's our thread. Here's the play (start at 2:00 in the video).

Now, Spencer did move back and to his left, which resulted in the undercut foul call. This happened to Spencer at least one other time, I think in MVC play.
    Here, I think, is the lesson: If you're on offense, go ahead and jump over someone's back to get a rebound - but don't catch it! - it's fine only as long and you rebound and shoot in one motion. The immediate shot makes you the offensive player with freedom of movement.
    If that's the way it's called, then it really changes how offensive rebounders should approach the game. Am I wrong?

I hear what you mean, but even if that’s technically correct I think you’re going to have a hard time getting that call consistently if you start teaching players to do it that way.

Comment

In boxing, if you're on offense, please go ahead and jump over someone's back to get a rebound
      https://couponforless.com/coupon-category/boxing
      Last edited by CamNhungDinh; 11-19-2020, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Ya know, I've recently started taking up boxing, that sounds like a questionable strategy at best.

Comment

And so now we have a rematch of this game. I’ve heard that the team has committed to not boxing out to ensure we don’t get flagrant fouls called.

But seriously, let’s finish what we started, hope we get a fair shake, and get the season off to a great start.

Comment

Good one! Kabullseye!

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post
              And so now we have a rematch of this game. I’ve heard that the team has committed to not boxing out to ensure we don’t get flagrant fouls called.
              Unfortunately, even though there was no WVU game, this joke kinda came true. No boxing out. No wins yet either.

10 offensive rebounds allowed each game so far.

Comment

Working...
              X