WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 1: Western Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Are we really killing at large hopes after 1 game? What if we win the next 2 and beat Wisconsin? What if WKU goes on to win the next 2? This is frustrating, but come on guys.
    Unfortunately, yes, because the deck is so stacked against anyone outside the power 6.

Not saying its impossible, but we took a major hit today from an at-large berth perspective. Not say its right or fair but its true.

Comment

• Last time we allowed 93 points in regulation was January 1999. I agree WKU is good but that was a brutal defensive performance.

Comment

• Basketball season really kind of snuck up on me this year, what with the pandemic and the associated changes in my routine, changes to the sports calendar, big election year, etc. I had planned on watching the game today, but I didn't sleep well last night, so I might have to watch it on DVR.

Anyway, thought this might be a tough one without Berhow, so my expectations for this tournament aren't too high. If nothing else we'll be able to build some depth that we might not otherwise would have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
          The announcers were discussing Bassey as a NBA lottery lottery pick. In the same conversation with Garza. I think they, with some luck, can have a deep run into the tourney.
          They loved WKU’s freshman guard too. He’s a hell of a player. They drove right past us on several occasions. Have to clean that up.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

Unfortunately, yes, because the deck is so stacked against anyone outside the power 6.

Not saying its impossible, but we took a major hit today from an at-large berth perspective. Not say its right or fair but its true.
            I'll just agree to disagree. This was likely a Q1 game. It's not going to be the reason we don't get in. This loss will look much better than the losses to Illinois St, SIU and Indiana St last year, and we were still going to get an at large if we would have made it to Sunday at the Arch.

Overall, I'm not really deterred by the loss. If anything, seeing Bowen and Carter show up like this makes me feel even better about the offense. Tywhon just has to be better. He doesn't need to make the big play, he just needs to play smart and rebound. A few of his turnovers were head scratchers, trying to force things when there was nothing there - AJ had a couple like that also. Not being able to get anything going inside hurt, but that's probably the best big we'll see all year. Once Phyfe gets involved the sky is the limit offensively. I do think the defense will get better, it has to. The next two are pretty big, we can't really afford to lose either.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I'll just agree to disagree. This was likely a Q1 game. It's not going to be the reason we don't get in. This loss will look much better than the losses to Illinois St, SIU and Indiana St last year, and we were still going to get an at large if we would have made it to Sunday at the Arch.

Overall, I'm not really deterred by the loss. If anything, seeing Bowen and Carter show up like this makes me feel even better about the offense. Tywhon just has to be better. He doesn't need to make the big play, he just needs to play smart and rebound. A few of his turnovers were head scratchers, trying to force things when there was nothing there - AJ had a couple like that also. Not being able to get anything going inside hurt, but that's probably the best big we'll see all year. Once Phyfe gets involved the sky is the limit offensively. I do think the defense will get better, it has to. The next two are pretty big, we can't really afford to lose either.
              You’re not wrong in that the loss in itself probably doesn’t hurt too bad. Its just that we don’t get very many opportunities to get good wins. We missed one today and maybe more because we probably wont have the opportunity to play West Virginia. Its not just about who you lose to its about who you beat.

Comment

• Not having Berhow was the difference between winning and losing today. The turnovers killed them. We just got a preview of what COVID will do to teams week to week. Born looked really good for his 1st Game against a pretty decent team.
                Last edited by DWadle1983; 11-25-2020, 06:19 PM.
                "Lot of people talked about Ohio State or Georgetown or Michigan State or whoever, [or] Maryland in our bracket. When the brackets came out, the first team I looked at was Northern Iowa," Kansas Coach Bill Self.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydog0784 View Post
                  Anybody else inclined to start Carter at the 4 (unless playing a really big team) when Berhow returns?

A 4 guard lineup with an extremely potent offensive team is pretty attractive...

Can we hold our own defensively & rebounding? Thoughts?

I’m a big Carter fan but disagree. I like having him being the first off the bench but playing starter minutes. Can give us a spark a few minutes in no matter what is going on with the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by FOTY View Post

I’m a big Carter fan but disagree. I like having him being the first off the bench but playing starter minutes. Can give us a spark a few minutes in no matter what is going on with the game.
                    I agree. I'm not as high on Carter as most. He does not handle the ball well enough to play guard consistently and gets caught in between due to his size defensively. Once teams stop leaving him open for 3 I'm not sure what he'll be able to provide.
                    Of course, if he's out there with two of AJ, Berhow and Born they'll have to leave someone open, so what do I know!?
                    Last edited by orangetennis; 11-25-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post

You’re not wrong in that the loss in itself probably doesn’t hurt too bad. Its just that we don’t get very many opportunities to get good wins. We missed one today and maybe more because we probably wont have the opportunity to play West Virginia. Its not just about who you lose to its about who you beat.
                      You're right, last year the big thing we had to hang our hat on was the Colorado win. This year, unless something comes out of nowhere, we really only have 1 more chance for that and it's at Wisconsin (Richmond would be a good one too, but not a huge win). Hopefully the guys just roll off about 8 in a row.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• That was a close game (93-87) - BUT we shot 20-39 (51%!) from 3 as a team. If we shoot those shots and make 41% (not horrible), that would be 16-39 and a final score of 93-75, which doesn't look too good.

Three Point shooting - great - also good ball movement to find open shooters and for shooters to make their own shot.
                        Turnovers - not good
                        Defense - terrible - WKU drove to the bucket at will.
                        Rebounding - not good - got out rebounded 39-30.

Upside... 101/200 minutes were freshmen/sophomores.
                        Bowen's first game against a very quick team he played 24 minutes, shot 3-7 from 3, 2-5 from 2, 3-3 FT. 4 assists, 1 TO. He outplayed Kimmons, who also played well at the point. Both reliably brought the ball down the court, which freed AJ up. That should help him play 38 minutes a game.
                        Nate's first game was pretty respectable.
                        Betz must do some things in practice offensively that are not working in games. Cole Henry never got his warm-up off, which surprises me a little.

The two big areas for improvement are defense and running the offense inside. Both of those seem to have a pretty steep learning curve and with more than half the minutes today by Fresh/Soph, we should be encouraged that these will come.

Berhow will be back with the team when?

Comment

• I'm a little concerned about our post play and depth. Not specifically because of today's stinker but more that there's been almost zero mention of Cole Henry leading up to the start of the season (which leads me to believe that he's not ready to contribute this year) and the seeming lack of development from Betz.
                          We heard a lot about Betz athleticism during his recruitment, were told not to worry that he came from a small school and didn't have huge numbers as a prep, that once he focused exclusively on basketball that he'd thrive. I know it's the very beginning of his sophomore season but I'm not seeing it. I'm worried that Phyfe will have to play too many minutes this year and can never get into foul trouble due to our lack of post depth. We'll need to recruit a big man who's an offensive threat this year because Courbat isn't it and when Phyfe leaves we'll have a huge hole in the middle!

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
                            That was a close game (93-87) - BUT we shot 20-39 (51%!) from 3 as a team. If we shoot those shots and make 41% (not horrible), that would be 16-39 and a final score of 93-75, which doesn't look too good.
                            I mean you're not wrong, but I mean, you can play that game any way you want. If we gave up 3 less offensive boards then the game goes into OT, if we turn it over four less times, etc etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
                              I'm a little concerned about our post play and depth. Not specifically because of today's stinker but more that there's been almost zero mention of Cole Henry leading up to the start of the season (which leads me to believe that he's not ready to contribute this year) and the seeming lack of development from Betz.
                              We heard a lot about Betz athleticism during his recruitment, were told not to worry that he came from a small school and didn't have huge numbers as a prep, that once he focused exclusively on basketball that he'd thrive. I know it's the very beginning of his sophomore season but I'm not seeing it. I'm worried that Phyfe will have to play too many minutes this year and can never get into foul trouble due to our lack of post depth. We'll need to recruit a big man who's an offensive threat this year because Courbat isn't it and when Phyfe leaves we'll have a huge hole in the middle!
                              Yea, it's hard to disagree. Although I don't think it's fair to judge based on yesterdat. Hopefully we see more today from Betz. I don't really recall Jake talking about Henry hardly at all. I thought he was a pretty good get when we signed him, but apparently he's not even close to helping. One final thing on yesterday. It sure would have been nice if the waiver was approved and we had Mar's defense...

Comment

• Went through this whole thread, a little surprised there were no comments about how much stronger AJ looked yesterday. There were a whole bunch of plays he made yesterday that he just wasn't strong enough to make a year ago, on both ends of the floor. I think we don't need to overreact about how Betz played or how Henry didn't, because of the match up. Betz is a little stouter than Henry, so he got the nod. Wouldn't surprise me to see Cole today, Jake discussed on the pregame show yesterday that Cole is really good as a ball handler (which we already knew) and does a good job running the offense. Trae's athleticism, physicality, and communication on defense would have made the difference in the game yesterday. Also have to keep in mind with turnovers, 12 of the 17 were in the first half. They went into the locker room, made adjustments, and fixed it. This team will be just fine, especially with Trae back in the lineup and Noah likely packing a scoring punch off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X