WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
    Just did some poking around on that weekend of Dec 11/12. If we're going to add a game (and I have no inside info) there appear to really be 4 options where you could see it happening without making some kind of giant stretch. 3 of them I like, the 4th, well, meh.

    Buffalo
    Miami (OH)
    Ohio
    Western Illinois
    Are you saying these would be home games? Or we'd take a road game just the same?
    As a season tix holder, I like home games.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

      Are you saying these would be home games? Or we'd take a road game just the same?
      As a season tix holder, I like home games.
      They would almost certainly have to be home games. I can't imagine us taking another road game.
      #MACtion

      Comment


      • The Maui Invitational announced they are moving the tournament to Las Vegas due to Hawaii's strict COVID policies.

        Good chance that the Hawaii Bowl and Diamond Head get moved as well. Sucks from an experience standpoint for the guys but staying away from that long flight and ending up in Vegas or similar is better for the long term.
        #MACtion

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          The Maui Invitational announced they are moving the tournament to Las Vegas due to Hawaii's strict COVID policies.

          Good chance that the Hawaii Bowl and Diamond Head get moved as well. Sucks from an experience standpoint for the guys but staying away from that long flight and ending up in Vegas or similar is better for the long term.
          I'd say the first one will be an easier win. Much easier Marshal to Vegas than Marshal to Hawaii. Another location even closer like Denver or Omaha would be great.
          Last edited by BrockLesnar; 10-02-2021, 03:26 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years
            Fan of all things UNI here folks. Never any negativity ever.
            Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
            Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
            UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

            Comment


            • For the love of God, can everyone please stop quoting him? We have the power to make that nonsense disappear.
              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
              Victory for U-N-I!

              Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
              - George Halas

              Comment


              • Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
                For the love of God, can everyone please stop quoting him? We have the power to make that nonsense disappear.
                What’s funny is it’s that easy to get rid of something like that. If a person who has so little going on in life that they come to a UNI message board just to poke at ppl doesn’t get the attention they’re so desperate for, they will go find the next person, group, or thing to go waist time on. I get a little bit of enjoyment out of it if I’m being honest. It’s like walking into a waiting room and Muray or something like it is on. I find it annoying but I also look at it with a smile on my face that I clearly could be doing worse in life. The best thing for ppl to do is simply ignore and not tell ppl how stupid they are. If you just don’t give in and respond to the stupidity then they don’t have anything to go on about.

                Comment


                • I thought I'd re-evaluate the season. This is just for fun. I do this before every season. I know the schedule isn't ready. I'll just assume 12 non-conference games. I project 28-8 with a round of 16 loss in the Tournament. Yeah, one game worse than my previous assessment. That would be due to a projected loss at Arkansas. So, 23-7 regular season, 3 wins at the Arch. A 10 seed in the Dance going, 2-1.
                  Last edited by BrockLesnar; 10-05-2021, 07:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Sounds good to me.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                      I thought I'd re-evaluate the season. This is just for fun. I do this before every season. I know the schedule isn't ready. I'll just assume 12 non-conference games. I project 28-8 with a round of 16 loss in the Tournament. Yeah, one game worse than my previous assessment. That would be due to a projected loss at Arkansas. So, 23-7 regular season, 3 wins at the Arch. A 10 seed in the Dance going 2-1.
                      I'm probably overly optimistic, but I'm going to say we go 8-3 in the non conference. 3 losses between Vermont, Arkansas, Bonnies, Richmond and the Diamondhead Classic. Conference play, I'll say 14-4. That gets us to 22-7, if we win two in St Louis that's certainly an at large imo. Call me biased, I truly think we're the team to beat. Drake and Loyola lost their two best players and we gained a former POY. We're probably better than the 2019-2020 team (we lose Dahl, Haldeman and Isaiah, but add Born, Heise and Anderson, plus hopefully health from Pickford, and two years of growth/experience for Green, Carter, Phyfe, Berhow, etc). Yes, the league as a whole will be a lot better than 2019-2020, but still...

                      Also, am I the only one who's not sold on Drake? Yes, they only lost Yesufu, but without him, they're not even close to an NCAA team last year. Heck, they may not have been an NIT team without him. Sure they had some other injuries last year and they add a stud in Devries, but I still need to see more from them.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

                        I'm probably overly optimistic, but I'm going to say we go 8-3 in the non conference. 3 losses between Vermont, Arkansas, Bonnies, Richmond and the Diamondhead Classic. Conference play, I'll say 14-4. That gets us to 22-7, if we win two in St Louis that's certainly an at large imo. Call me biased, I truly think we're the team to beat. Drake and Loyola lost their two best players and we gained a former POY. We're probably better than the 2019-2020 team (we lose Dahl, Haldeman and Isaiah, but add Born, Heise and Anderson, plus hopefully health from Pickford, and two years of growth/experience for Green, Carter, Phyfe, Berhow, etc). Yes, the league as a whole will be a lot better than 2019-2020, but still...

                        Also, am I the only one who's not sold on Drake? Yes, they only lost Yesufu, but without him, they're not even close to an NCAA team last year. Heck, they may not have been an NIT team without him. Sure they had some other injuries last year and they add a stud in Devries, but I still need to see more from them.
                        Drake is legit. Penn is the best true PG in the league and only Norris is even in the same discussion and Hemphill is an impossible matchup for everybody except Loyola including us. Yesefu didn't really come on until Penn got hurt and I think he's going to be a massive bust at Kansas because he's not going to have the ball in his hands and being a volume shooter isn't going to work there.

                        That said, AJ is, by far and away, the best offensive player in the league and letting Phyfe and Berhow settle back into their familiar roles with Born as a legitimate ball handler and 4th scoring threat makes us crazy efficient offensively.

                        My preseason poll would go:
                        1-UNI
                        2-Drake
                        3-Missouri State
                        4-Loyola (29 YO first time HC)
                        5-Southern Illinois
                        6-Indiana State
                        7-Bradley
                        8-Evansville
                        9-Valpo
                        10-Illinois State

                        POY-AJ Green
                        COY-Ben Jacobson
                        DPOY-Lucas Williamson

                        First Team-
                        AJ Green
                        Gage Prim
                        Tyreke Key
                        Roman Penn
                        Lucas Williamson

                        Second Team-
                        Isiah Mosley
                        Marcus Domask
                        Shaq Hemphill
                        Austin Phyfe
                        Braden Norris

                        FOY and NCOY are going to come from bad teams because there just aren't any minutes with most everybody back from the better teams.
                        Last edited by BCPanther; 10-05-2021, 07:39 PM.
                        #MACtion

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

                          Drake is legit. Penn is the best true PG in the league and only Norris is even in the same discussion and Hemphill is an impossible matchup for everybody except Loyola including us. Yesefu didn't really come on until Penn got hurt and I think he's going to be a massive bust at Kansas because he's not going to have the ball in his hands and being a volume shooter isn't going to work there.

                          That said, AJ is, by far and away, the best offensive player in the league and letting Phyfe and Berhow settle back into their familiar roles with Born as a legitimate ball handler and 4th scoring threat makes us crazy efficient offensively.

                          My preseason poll would go:
                          1-UNI
                          2-Drake
                          3-Missouri State
                          4-Loyola (29 YO first time HC)
                          5-Southern Illinois
                          6-Indiana State
                          7-Bradley
                          8-Evansville
                          9-Valpo
                          10-Illinois State

                          POY-AJ Green
                          COY-Ben Jacobson
                          DPOY-Lucas Williamson

                          First Team-
                          AJ Green
                          Gage Prim
                          Tyreke Key
                          Roman Penn
                          Lucas Williamson

                          Second Team-
                          Isiah Mosley
                          Marcus Domask
                          Shaq Hemphill
                          Austin Phyfe
                          Braden Norris

                          FOY and NCOY are going to come from bad teams because there just aren't any minutes with most everybody back from the better teams.
                          This all seems reasonable, and hopefully your optimism about a first place UNI finish is correct. My hope is we don’t have a slow start to the season where several seemingly winnable games are lost and people start talking about players settling in to their roles, learning the defensive scheme, etc. That’s happened a few times under Jake. No reason for that this year, whatsoever.

                          Comment


                          • We have good non-conference games. I see losses to Arkansas, the Bonnies, and BYU. The league got better and I see 4 MVC losses. I'm hopeful we resolve issues at the Arch for the automatic bid.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

                              Born as a legitimate ball handler and 4th scoring threat makes us crazy efficient offensively.
                              Honestly this part should give us the most excitement. Born's shooting ability with AJ on the court... giggity.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                                Honestly this part should give us the most excitement. Born's shooting ability with AJ on the court... giggity.
                                His excellent ball handling is probably the most important skill he brings to this particular team. Also allows AJ to play off the ball some.
                                UNI FIGHT

                                Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X