WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN league schedule is out and, as expected, UNI, Drake and Loyola all got the most appearances with 5, Missouri State got 2 and Valpo and SIU each got 1.

Our games on the linear ESPN nets are:
    Drake
    at Drake
    at Loyola (Glad this isn't a home game, 3:00 on Super Bowl Sunday isn't going to be great for attendance)
    Missouri State
    Loyola

Combined with Diamond Head, that's 8 appearances on linear ESPN networks. That's pretty great.

CBS Sports Net schedule will be released today or tomorrow and the MVC-TV schedule (Bally Sports Midwest/NBC Chicago) tomorrow or Friday. Good chance that darn near half our games are going to be on regional/national linear TV.
    Last edited by BCPanther; 10-06-2021, 09:40 AM.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Drake is legit. Penn is the best true PG in the league and only Norris is even in the same discussion and Hemphill is an impossible matchup for everybody except Loyola including us. Yesefu didn't really come on until Penn got hurt and I think he's going to be a massive bust at Kansas because he's not going to have the ball in his hands and being a volume shooter isn't going to work there.

That said, AJ is, by far and away, the best offensive player in the league and letting Phyfe and Berhow settle back into their familiar roles with Born as a legitimate ball handler and 4th scoring threat makes us crazy efficient offensively.

My preseason poll would go:
      1-UNI
      2-Drake
      3-Missouri State
      4-Loyola (29 YO first time HC)
      5-Southern Illinois
      6-Indiana State
      7-Bradley
      8-Evansville
      9-Valpo
      10-Illinois State

POY-AJ Green
      COY-Ben Jacobson
      DPOY-Lucas Williamson

First Team-
      AJ Green
      Gage Prim
      Tyreke Key
      Roman Penn
      Lucas Williamson

Second Team-
      Isiah Mosley
      Marcus Domask
      Shaq Hemphill
      Austin Phyfe
      Braden Norris

FOY and NCOY are going to come from bad teams because there just aren't any minutes with most everybody back from the better teams.
      This year will be fascinating. We have as difficult a non conference schedule as I can remember, and the league is so tough right now. I expect us to be very good, but that top 4 is crazy deep and talented. Southern Illinois is a tough team, Bradley is always dangerous, and Indiana State will be a very interesting team to watch this year.

My biggest takeaway from our team this year is the need for Cole Henry to really step up so he can spell Phyfe. If he can't do that, we will be playing some really small ball an awful lot. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's definitely going to be a factor.

Comment

• My biggest takeaway from our team this year is the need for Cole Henry to really step up so he can spell Phyfe. If he can't do that, we will be playing some really small ball an awful lot. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it's definitely going to be a factor.

!00% accurate! Need more than 5 fouls to give at the #5. We know that the passing will be good. Phyfe needs minutes of rest for good post D. Cole needs to continue the D, rebound, make bunnies, and a few free throws please.
        Last edited by '70 Grad; 10-06-2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• While I agree that'll be important, we do have an absolutely lethal small ball lineup. That doesn't work all the time, and of course it sure would be nice if we had more than one good big, but it's not the end of the world if we don't.

Comment

• I don't know. I'd much rather make Prim and Brody try to guard on the perimeter than try to match their bulk on the defensive end. Outside of those two, there really aren't any true centers in the league. Phyfe and Hutson, maybe, but they're both more skilled than simply being back to the bucket guys.
            #MACtion

Comment

• D3 game added for Nov 14th against Dubuque...

To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Lulz. We are now relying on D3 schools to inform us when we're going to play. Man if this isn't the bottom....

Added to original post. I'm guessing there's one more out there and probably the first half of Thanksgiving week because 10 days off between Arkansas and St Bonaventure is not a great idea.

I'm thinking we pass on a game between Christmas and New Year's at this point but I guess we'll never know unless we start following D3 Twitter.

FYI, the first legal day for exhibition games is 18 days from now and we don't have a schedule.
                Last edited by BCPanther; 10-06-2021, 03:08 PM.
                #MACtion

Comment

• When is basketball media day?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irocon View Post
                    When is basketball media day?
                    Probably never? We don’t have staff to put on a media day and we don’t have a local beat writer covering the team.

Cant wait for the bewilderment of the AD when nobody goes to these games either, despite the team being awesome.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• There's no media guide, quick facts or prospectus. I'm just hoping somebody remembered to order uniforms.

Jim Nelson is taking basketball for The Courier, fwiw. I guess it falls on you when you're literally the only sportswriter they employ. I'm guessing he'll be doing road games from home though....
                      #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Probably never? We don’t have staff to put on a media day and we don’t have a local beat writer covering the team.

Cant wait for the bewilderment of the AD when nobody goes to these games either, despite the team being awesome.
                        Those kids and their damn cellular telephones...
                        #MACtion

Comment

• Looks like two more to get 13 non-conference.

Comment

• Our lack of staff and coverage is unimaginable. COVID is no excuse, now.

Comment

• I'm guessing we leave one on the table, which is just fine with The strength of the rest of it.
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Season after season the mid major level can't schedule for crap. I guess this will always be the case. We can't even get more than 1 power 5 to go one and done. Just a nightmare every season for as long as I can remember since moving to D1 in the late 70's.
                                Last edited by BrockLesnar; 10-06-2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X