WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball Schedule

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 appearances on MVC-TV (Bally Sports Midwest, NBC Sports Chicago)

Home against Valpo. At Indiana State.

Update: fewest in the league. C'mon man...
    Last edited by BCPanther; 10-08-2021, 10:55 AM.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
      To be clear, yes, a game against UND and WIU is objectively good for at large chances, assuming you win and play well. Metrics LOVE blowouts, regardless of the quality of competition.
      Pre-season Athlon has WIU 4th and UND 7th in the Summit. I'd pass on those two. You would want the Jacks picked first or Bison picked 2nd. I think your question is good, though. If we don't win at the Arch and are 24-9 with two D3 teams we're going to be short. I'd project it would take 25-8 with two Division 3 teams on the schedule. Like mentioned above the adds of Belmont and Murray State reduce the non-conference nightmare. We've really struggled to get games since the end of the MVC/MWC Challenge, bracket buster, and the Hyvee Classic. Although I'd rather not play non-division 1 level, I'm ok with those schools on our schedule. Otherwise, we're only at 28 regular season games. Our hands are tied season after season.
      Last edited by BrockLesnar; 10-08-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• I was moreso comparing buy games against those teams vs buy games vs D3 Iowa schools. One can provide literally no value regardless, while the other can be a nice metrics boost if ya play well.

Comment

• Finally a post on the website that we've finalized the games with Vermont, Dubuque and Wartburg.

So one step forward and then this gem:

Game times are still being finalized by the Missouri Valley Conference and network affiliates.
          Except the league released all of them last week with big press releases and tweets and a big deal made by most other member schools.

There's no way it can take 2 1/2 months to hire an SID.

Oh, and it was also the first men's basketball website update since September 15th. We're really hyping this thing up. When Jake leaves after this year, David should be fired immediately.
          Last edited by BCPanther; 10-11-2021, 02:34 PM.
          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            Finally a post on the website that we've finalized the games with Vermont, Dubuque and Wartburg.

So one step forward and then this gem:

Except the league released all of them last week with big press releases and tweets and a big deal made by most other member schools.

There's no way it can take 2 1/2 months to hire an SID.

Oh, and it was also the first men's basketball website update since September 15th. We're really hyping this thing up. When Jake leaves after this year, David should be fired immediately.
            You think coach is getting a power 5 offer?

Comment

• Might be able to get a 13th non-conference game in between Dec 5-14, or a couple of days before Thanksgiving, but it takes two to tango. So, we might have to settle for 12 out of conference games.
              Last edited by BrockLesnar; 10-13-2021, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• I'm a bit concerned about our post position beyond Phyfe. Our options are Henry, Betz, and Carter. With Betz and Cater I like their shooting and passing, but don't think they stop a bigger center. With Henry he's a good passer with decent size to rebound, but lacks in low post moves to score. The Courbat kid is a fourth backup option that is likely a red shirt.
                Last edited by BrockLesnar; 10-13-2021, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                  I'm a bit concerned about our post position beyond Phyfe. Our options are Henry, Betz, and Carter. With Betz and Cater I like their shooting and passing, but don't think they stop a bigger center. With Henry he's a good passer with decent size to rebound, but lacks in low post moves to score. The Courbat kid is a fourth option that is likely a red shirt.
                  I'm actually fine with our post defense. Partly because there are so few offensive post threats. How many are there in the Valley - Brodie, Primm, any others I'm forgetting? Plus if we're having trouble guarding their big man while Phyfe is out, I'd think we're going to have some nice matchups offensively. I do think Henry/Betz could handle guarding bigs while Phyfe gets a breather too.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• I hope Betz is able to pull a Buss-like turnaround this season. He hasn't provided much yet and we need some depth behind Austin.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

You think coach is getting a power 5 offer?
                      I have no inside info, but if UNI’s season turns out the way everyone wants, (deep NCAA run, etc.) then his name will be in the mix. If the season falls flat for any reason, including injuries, then Jake’s job opportunities fall flat with them. He may still get some D1 interest, but won’t have the leverage of a good season to contend for what he considers to be an ideal job. He needs leverage to contend with the other hot prospects at season end.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

I'm actually fine with our post defense. Partly because there are so few offensive post threats. How many are there in the Valley - Brodie, Primm, any others I'm forgetting? Plus if we're having trouble guarding their big man while Phyfe is out, I'd think we're going to have some nice matchups offensively. I do think Henry/Betz could handle guarding bigs while Phyfe gets a breather too.
                        Correct. Outside of Prim, there isn't really another big that scares you on the offensive end. Brodie does a really nice job of using his body to get position but he doesn't have the greatest touch around the rim, he thrives on putbacks and being a pretty good passer for a big guy. I think we'll also see a lot of Carter playing the 5 because there isn't a big in the league that can guard him on the perimeter and, outside of Prim and Brodie, you can handle the other guys defensively with a combination of Carter, Pickford and Berhow.

Also, I knew that Drake was taking a big chance by having everybody back but I didn't realize how big. They'll lose Wilkins, Penn, Murphy, Hemphill, Akinwole (transfer that is going to get big minutes), Jackson and Brodie off this team. Um, yikes.
                        #MACtion

Comment

The Maui Invitational announced they are moving the tournament to Las Vegas due to Hawaii's strict COVID policies.

Good chance that the Hawaii Bowl and Diamond Head get moved as well. Sucks from an experience standpoint for the guys but staying away from that long flight and ending up in Vegas or similar is better for the long term.
                          Heard anything about the Diamond Head Classic moving? I suppose UHawaii really wants to keep their home court...

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post

Heard anything about the Diamond Head Classic moving? I suppose UHawaii really wants to keep their home court...
                            Last I heard, they were trying to get an exemption because the arena is quite a bit bigger than where they play Maui with a much newer ventilation system.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Also, I knew that Drake was taking a big chance by having everybody back but I didn't realize how big. They'll lose Wilkins, Penn, Murphy, Hemphill, Akinwole (transfer that is going to get big minutes), Jackson and Brodie off this team. Um, yikes.
                              DeVries is all in on this year, no doubt. However, that probably doesn’t scare him much due to the transfer portal. He and his staff have been very adept at finding quality players who’ve fit in well.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

DeVries is all in on this year, no doubt. However, that probably doesn’t scare him much due to the transfer portal. He and his staff have been very adept at finding quality players who’ve fit in well.
                                Drake will lose half of their current 16 man roster at season's end, but they have seen this before.

Comment

Working...
                                X