WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Up: Loyola (Game 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must drive. Bowen should run offense and drive before passing to Phyfe. Flow and passing is great, but it seems to be all we want to do.

Comment

Phyfe taking out someone’s cardboard cutout they paid hard earned money for with that pass.

Comment

This is especially dissapointing considering Phyfe clearly outplayed Krutwig. No one else came to play besides him and Bowen.

Sidenote: Why have mask rules if Porter Morter gets away with literally never wearing it?

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Our offense invites turnovers.
          Guys constantly running into one another on the handoffs, big men dribbling the ball on the perimeter, bounce passes in traffic, too much time trying to find someone to pass to after picking up the dribble... "Flow" just doesn't flow.
          I have to agree.

The ball has to move at the basket more.

Teams have figured out you can pressure this offense out front with impunity...cuz there's very little going at the basket.

We're wasting possessions trying to pass the ball 26 feet from the basket with no threat to the D.

I like the 5 out but you can't run it all the time.

I think at times u can see the players frustration where someone goes to the basket in desperation.

We're making it too hard.
          Last edited by Blue42; 01-16-2021, 06:03 PM.
          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
            Another classic end of half for UNI. Three turnovers, a missed front end, booth reviews going against us, and six points allowed.

I wonder how many minutes into the half the Ramblers’ 25-4 run will start?
            I was wrong about the 25-4 run. It was 27-6.

Comment

We went up 2 with 12+ minutes left and gave up a 27-10 run to end the game. How we consistently play so poorly at the end of halves is just infuriating to me. It felt like half the possessions we didn't even get a shot up. We beat them in almost every category (Loyola overtook us in shooting % very late) except turnovers. It's game 11, the fact that we're still having turnover issues is just ridiculous and so frustrating.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Really need Kimmons back. He's doing the right thing and helping out with he's family. But if they can bounce back forth with Born and Kimmons at PG. We'll start winning.
                Silver lining in a beat down Austin owned Kruwig, Hopefully he's got more in the tank for the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIDebo View Post
                  Really need Kimmons back. He's doing the right thing and helping out with he's family. But if they can bounce back forth with Born and Kimmons at PG. We'll start winning.
                  Silver lining in a beat down Austin owned Kruwig, Hopefully he's got more in the tank for the rematch.
                  Kimmons will absolutely help, but Pickford only had 1 turnover. Phyfe had 6 and Berhow had 4. Maybe Kimmons coming back takes the ball out if Berhows hands a bit, but overall I don't know that Kimmons back helps the turnover situation too much. We figure the turnovers out, and we're gonna start winning a lot imo.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

It's incredible that they are 12 games in to the season and there appears to be no clue how to defend a pick and roll or a pick and pop. Other teams handle the high ball screen UNI runs with ease and UNI can't seem to figure out how to stop it. Guards get hung on the screen, Phyfe has to defend the ball too long and then they get killed on rotation as everyone has to help out. It's time to tell Pickford to start shooting open 3's and see what happens. He's the only guy that can defend the ball, but no one respects his shot and it's killing the offense. Turn it loose and maybe it will work out. Born needs to start letting it rip from deep as well. It's great he's getting into the lane, but his size is making it tough to get a clean look.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopfan View Post
                      Other teams handle the high ball screen UNI runs with ease and UNI can't seem to figure out how to stop it.
                      Maybe that’s why in practice we think our offense is good?

Comment

Of course scoring 8 points in the last 11 minutes of the game doesn’t help, but even with AJ you’re not winning games by giving up 44 points in a half. Work to do on both ends.

Comment

Law of averages said Loyola was going to get their's in the second half. They had open shots and just hit them. On the other hand, UNI had a ton of contested shots. The spacing on offense leaves a lot to be desired. I really had high hopes for this offense with Phyfe and Henry running it from the top of the key, but the pick and roll turns into ill-advised pocket passes many times. I wouldn't hate to see some different offensive sets at some point. And it's so odd to see Pickford running point. That is so far from his game it's silly. He is an offensive rebound, clean up the mess, glue guy. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's what he brings.

Bottom line: Green is out for the year, and isn't going to be bailing out the team with last second shots. This offense needs some creativity.

Comment

Didn't see the game, but let me take a wild guess: we kept shooting low percentage shots (three pointers) with no change in result with them.

If so, and after year after year of the same "plan," perhaps a reorganization of the offense is in order?

Self edit: Good news is that it was "only" 19 low percentage shots allowed this time around, but we hit a whopping 26% of them.
                            Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 01-17-2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X