WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get rid of offense or coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
    I honestly can’t tell if the “fire coach Jake” crowd is trolling or serious.

There is a lot I can say, but I’ll leave it at this. No program in the Valley (as it is currently constructed) has had as much success in winning league titles, Arch Madnesses and NCAA success as UNI. This will be just Jakes second year coaching a playin team in 15 years. There is no reason UNI should be the beat program in the league over 15 years. We dont have the biggest fanbase or the most resources or the best facilities (although all of those things have improved under Jake). We don’t have the coolest location or most amazing campus or the richest tradition. Our competitive advantage is Jake. If you’re really gonna fire a guy for one bad season with your best player out with injury after three games, his backup also out, and playing under weird pandemic circumstances....especially at a school like UNI....lets just say I’m glad you aren’t the AD, and good luck finding someone who will do better and be as consistent over time.
    This is right, but I also think it's part of the problem. Once Creighton and eventually Wichita left, a lot of us fans expected to own the conference. We expected to be THE team. I for one am guilty of thinking it should be a lot easier to win the league and get the bid in STL. That's not happening, which makes the struggles even more frustrating.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

To be clear, I am not in the fire Jake camp. I know we aren't going to do better and love what he does and represents to the university. But I am 100% frustrated at they way we have handled some challenging situations for the last 5 years or so.
      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

There is a lot I can say, but I’ll leave it at this. No program in the Valley (as it is currently constructed) has had as much success in winning league titles, Arch Madnesses and NCAA success as UNI. This will be just Jakes second year coaching a playin team in 15 years. There is no reason UNI should be the beat program in the league over 15 years. We dont have the biggest fanbase or the most resources or the best facilities (although all of those things have improved under Jake). We don’t have the coolest location or most amazing campus or the richest tradition. Our competitive advantage is Jake. If you’re really gonna fire a guy for one bad season with your best player out with injury after three games, his backup also out, and playing under weird pandemic circumstances....especially at a school like UNI....lets just say I’m glad you aren’t the AD, and good luck finding someone who will do better and be as consistent over time.
        Well thought-out and well played Grainer!

Comment

Southern Illinois has won as many tournament championships as UNI (five each).

Aside from our Sweet Sixteen year, what have we done other than get shelled at the NCAA tournament under Jacobson?

He's basically had two wins at UNI which have duped people into thinking that we're led by a "coaching genius," one of which directly led to, the next day, to the million dollar salary that we all know and love.

He only looks the part-I'll give him that-but, no, we could do much better for far less money.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

Aside from our Sweet Sixteen year, what have we done other than get shelled at the NCAA tournament under Jacobson?

He's basically had two wins at UNI which have duped people into thinking that we're led by a "coaching genius," one of which directly led to, the next day, to the million dollar salary that we all know and love.

He only looks the part-I'll give him that-but, no, we could do much better for far less money.
            Now you're being willfully obtuse, or just plain stupid. Either way, this is the first, last, and only time I'll respond to you, as I'm done giving attention to trolls.

In the 2014-15 season we reached a high of #10 in the AP rankings, won the MVC tournament, and won a game in the NCAA tournament.

During the following season we beat #1 North Carolina, beat #5 Iowa State on a neutral court, again won the MVC tournament, and again won a game in the NCAA tournament.

Last season we won the regular season conference championship outright, won at a ranked team in Colorado, and had a puncher's chance to make it into the tournament as an at-large bid. Obviously we'll never know what would have happened there.

Go drown yourself in the river that flows under your bridge.

Comment

This post might be the biggest joke I have seen on this board. I hope you’re trolling.

Comment

This post might be the biggest joke I have seen on this board. I hope you’re trolling.
                Admittedly, my last two sentences may be debatable, even though he's only had two big wins (Kansas and North Carolina) and had his salary upped immediately after the Kansas win

However, my first two sentences are demonstrable. Are you saying that those things aren't true, sir?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

Now you're being willfully obtuse, or just plain stupid. Either way, this is the first, last, and only time I'll respond to you, as I'm done giving attention to trolls.

In the 2014-15 season we reached a high of #10 in the AP rankings, won the MVC tournament, and won a game in the NCAA tournament.

During the following season we beat #1 North Carolina, beat #5 Iowa State on a neutral court, again won the MVC tournament, and again won a game in the NCAA tournament.

Last season we won the regular season conference championship outright, won at a ranked team in Colorado, and had a puncher's chance to make it into the tournament as an at-large bid. Obviously we'll never know what would have happened there.

Go drown yourself in the river that flows under your bridge.
                  Of course you're done, even though you said in this post what I was basically saying. Nuttin doin from the Jacobson brigade.

Comment

Southern Illinois has not played in an NCAA Tournament in 14 years.

Since then, UNI has 4 NCAA appearances, more than any school currently in the league.

4 NCAA Tourney wins, tied with Loyola for most in the league.

4 Arch Madness titles, most in the league.

3 MVC Titles, most in the league.

3 Valley POY’s, an All American, and 3 Arch Madness MVPs.

Had the third winningest season in school history just last year before our roster was gutted this year.

Everybody hates losing, what has happened this year really sucks and is not acceptable regardless of circumstance, but we have the best program in this league and there is a lot more winning in our future.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Couple of things here:

I apologize if I'm wrong but A Fan In Lean Years seems a lot like Mudrafan.

I think we are all frustrated with how this season is going, I don't think however, it is unreasonable to look at how we run our offensive sets. I also think we are over looking two key things: First of all our defense has not been any better this year. Secondly, we have missed on some recruits that have caused us to scramble to find replacements, and sometimes when you miss on a 1st tier type player there aren't 2nd tier players to be had and you get 3rd tier type player who can develop but not right away. Along with that when you are playing as many young players as we are it will be a struggle.

Finally, as it has been said who exactly is UNI going to get to come and replace Jacobson?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                        Couple of things here:

I apologize if I'm wrong but A Fan In Lean Years seems a lot like Mudrafan.
                        I'm losing count, but I believe that that's the sixth guess as to whom I am. Can't get one by you, can I?

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

we have the best program in this league and there is a lot more winning in our future.
                          The conference standings seem to suggest otherwise.

Comment

The conference standings seem to suggest otherwise.
                            Good point smooth brain. I guess Duke and Kentucky have trash programs as well then.
                            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

TBH, there's always a thread about firing Jake every few years, so this doesn't surprise me. No, we're not a program who wins every single year. But we have still been a very successful program. A lot has gone wrong this year, both from a team standpoint and obviously things beyond the teams control. If you want to throw in the towel now, go for it. As I said before, this type of thread come up ever few years. One time that sticks in my mind where a similar thread came up was in either '15 or '16 when we were having a awful start to the conference schedule, then we turned it on and won the conference tourney. I'm not saying that's going to happen this year, but next year we're going to be real good - especially if a Berhow comes back. The guys are playing through a lot right now. No preseason POY, the backup PG out, a lot of freshman and sophomore minutes, plus Mar who is new to the system. It sucks. I get just as frustrated as anybody, but the program is not exactly in the dumps after this year.
                              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                                TBH, there's always a thread about firing Jake every few years, so this doesn't surprise me. No, we're not a program who wins every single year. But we have still been a very successful program. A lot has gone wrong this year, both from a team standpoint and obviously things beyond the teams control. If you want to throw in the towel now, go for it. As I said before, this type of thread come up ever few years. One time that sticks in my mind where a similar thread came up was in either '15 or '16 when we were having a awful start to the conference schedule, then we turned it on and won the conference tourney. I'm not saying that's going to happen this year, but next year we're going to be real good - especially if a Berhow comes back. The guys are playing through a lot right now. No preseason POY, the backup PG out, a lot of freshman and sophomore minutes, plus Mar who is new to the system. It sucks. I get just as frustrated as anybody, but the program is not exactly in the dumps after this year.
                                I agree with this for the most part. They definitely haven't had luck on their side this year, but I definitely don't think the program is in the dumps. However, the frustrations with the offense especially aren't really new to this year. I just think it's been exacerbated by the fact they don't have a guy like A.J. to bail them out when there's a poor possession. I think it was telling that Coe's offense looked more fluid last night. That should not happen. They were getting better shots many times, and that's just not something you should expect when it's a D1 vs. D3. No matter how bad a year that D1 team is having. I still think the potential for this team is big, but I absolutely understand why people are frustrated with seeing some of the same things over and over when it's clearly not working.

Comment

Working...
                                X