WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get rid of offense or coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Points 1 and 2 just point out something I heard from an ex player during a tourney broadcast, and I completely agree. A lot of college basketball teams are overcoached. Basketball is designed around athleticism, not necessarily the ability to remember and execute 400 set plays, like some kind of robot. Also, even in a normal year, Drake’s record wouldn’t be much different, since DD has been very good at molding his system around his recruits. Lack of Covid wouldn’t change that.
    This may be one of Coach Jake's down falls.
    A number of guys have come into the program with a very impressive HS resume and an ability to be a playmaker, only to seemingly regress during their time at UNI. Obviously there are other factors surrounding college kids but guys like Pickford, McCloud, Carlson, Friedman, Rank, McKowen all come to mind. There are countless others who I wouldn't say regressed but they didn't seem to improve at all either over the course of 4-5 yrs on campus.
    It seems like creativity and improvisation are coached out of players when they reach campus and some guys can adapt to that while others can't.
    Last edited by orangetennis; 01-28-2021, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

This may be one of Coach Jake's down falls.
      A number of guys have come into the program with a very impressive HS resume and an ability to be a playmaker, only to seemingly regress during their time at UNI. Obviously there are other factors surrounding college kids but guys like Pickford, McCloud, Carlson, Friedman, Rank, McKowen all come to mind. There are countless others who I wouldn't say regressed but they didn't seem to improve at all either over the course of 4-5 yrs on campus.
      It seems like creativity and improvisation are coached out of players when they reach campus and some guys can adapt to that while others can't.
      A few of those guys you mentioned had some other issues -

Pickford - injuries sophomore and junior years, playing out of position this year because 2 PGs are out
      McCloud - couldn't shoot to save his life. Teams would beg him to shoot the 3, which crowded the middle and wouldn't allow him to drive. After leaving spent 1 year at a D3 before giving up the game, not to mention the rift his dad send to have with coaches, I just don't think he enjoyed playing anymore tbh.
      Rank - was undersized at his position. The guy was tough nosed but just didn't really have a position imo.
      Friedman - never really seemed mobile enough to make the transition. You could say maybe that's on the coaching staff, but bigs are always a gamble.

Brooks was so long ago I don't really recall his career that well. I will say, Carlson was a head scratcher for me. His sophomore postseason was crazy good, but maybe those few games were more him overachieving than the other times where h underachieving? Expectations were so high for him, it was very frustrating to watch his final 2 years here. We have had some, although not too many guys who didn't do much early then really played well at the end of their career - Singleton and Dahl come to mind.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Don’t get me wrong on the above. There’s definitely a time and place for set plays in the game, and Jake’s new offense seems to be more about flow and motion than rigid set pieces. I’m also not part of the “fire Jake” crowd. In UNI’s case, my take is “overcoached” relates more to how long it seems some of our more mediocre teams, or those that gelled really late, take to finally get the offensive and defensive schemes the staff wants to run. Seems like every year we hear about this, but with several players who were in the same system the year before. If they’re that complex, it may be time to tweak or rethink some things. It would be interesting to get an ex-players’ take on this, or from another coach. Those of us in the cheap seats can only speculate like arm chair QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
          We have had some, although not too many guys who didn't do much early then really played well at the end of their career - Singleton and Dahl come to mind.
          Nate Buss.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post

Nate Buss.
            A man that was ahead of the times!

Comment

It stands for Defense, Stabilize, Reset and Offense. It’s a four-step process for mitigating loss in your business and planning for intentional action that will ensure your business vidmate
              SHAREit is a very much popular app using which you can transfer very large digital files from one device to another at a lightning fast speed for free.
              Last edited by vicycleeight; 02-24-2021, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks to the spam bot for reminding me about this. In hindsight, this is a bit of a ridiculous thread. This happened in the weirdest year for sports in the modern age, and also sandwiched in-between two MVC championships, which it's important to keep in mind, we only ever had two prior to that. All this, of course, with facilities that are only a little bit ahead of the new high school they're building.

Comment

Did implementing political correctness along with designated consequences create a gentler, kinder world? Why or why not? Donkey Kong
                  This is not just a port of Donkey Kong!It's actually supposed to be a game version of

Comment

I think this is my new favorite spam message. In fact, I want this on my tombstone. Don't delete it please.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                      I think this is my new favorite spam message. In fact, I want this on my tombstone. Don't delete it please.
                      I'm not touching that one. It's art.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                      X