WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the Valley News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post
    He's gone, and it's gonna be very interesting to watch how Loyola goes forward with hiring a new coach.

Do they shell out big bucks to try and keep their upward momentum?
    No.

They have a tiny arena and a virtually nonexistent fanbase. They had an awesome run, but I’d guess that run is over.
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• It's official and he's the new head coach at Oklahoma. Good for him.

Comment

• 6 years around $2.5m per. As others have said, he's made this off 1 recruiting class, if I'm Oklahoma, I'm kind of skeptical. It'll be interesting to see how this looks in a few years.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• They'd be foolish to call it a day and not go all in. I've never done/needed to do risk calculations on "trying to be a midmajor basketball powerhouse vs cost," but I gotta imagine the risk is worth it, especially since you're not building from nothing.

Comment

• Does Krutwig come back and transfer to OU for another season at age 43?

Comment

• Everybody seems to think Drew Valentine is going to get the Loyola job. He's well thought of.
              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                6 years around $2.5m per. As others have said, he's made this off 1 recruiting class, if I'm Oklahoma, I'm kind of skeptical. It'll be interesting to see how this looks in a few years.
                He didn’t make a FF off one recruiting class. Krutwig and Williamson were FR on that team. The core of that team was a group of 6’4 to 6’6 athletes who could guard and score against the P5 teams they faced. They had length and athleticism you don’t usually see on a mid major team. Throw in a really good player in Clayton Custer too, although he was one of a group of good players, not a standout. Two freshman played a role, but they didn’t lead them to a FF. That said, it will be interesting to watch, so your main point is legit.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

He didn’t make a FF off one recruiting class. Krutwig and Williamson were FR on that team. The core of that team was a group of 6’4 to 6’6 athletes who could guard and score against the P5 teams they faced. They had length and athleticism you don’t usually see on a mid major team. Throw in a really good player in Clayton Custer too, although he was one of a group of good players, not a standout. Two freshman played a role, but they didn’t lead them to a FF. That said, it will be interesting to watch, so your main point is legit.
                  As BC said, Porters record without Krut and Williamson is not good. Maybe he just learned how to recruit and coach after 6 years of below .500 play? I don't know, it's a bit if a red flag to me, but we shall see. Also, interesting to hear a little about what Loyola offered, money was actually a lot closer than one might think. Seeing that surprises me a bit that he did leave. It's gonna be a much shorter leash at Oklahoma, quite a gamble...

Sources also told CBS Sports that Loyola Chicago’s offer to Moser to get him to stay was for 10 years and escalating from $2.2 million going forward. Perks, like season tickets to Cubs games, etc., in the package.

Huge offer for a mid-major, really. He’ll fly to Norman shortly.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Sources also told CBS Sports that Loyola Chicago’s offer to Moser to get him to stay was for 10 years and escalating from $2.2 million going forward. Perks, like season tickets to Cubs games, etc., in the package.

sorry to pick....but...
                    Huge is an understatement. Absolutely unbelievable package they put together.

Comment

As BC said, Porters record without Krut and Williamson is not good. Maybe he just learned how to recruit and coach after 6 years of below .500 play? I don't know, it's a bit if a red flag to me, but we shall see. Also, interesting to hear a little about what Loyola offered, money was actually a lot closer than one might think. Seeing that surprises me a bit that he did leave. It's gonna be a much shorter leash at Oklahoma, quite a gamble...

Holy cow. That's a massive package for a Valley coach. The leash will definitely be shorter at Oklahoma, however, it is a football school first and foremost, but basketball still gets significant resources. If you are going to leave, I wouldn't say this is a bad spot. I think that package speaks to what BC had mentioned awhile back regarding the amount of money that Loyola could throw if they wanted. That had to be supplemented by alumni and such, right?

Comment

• With Porter gone, I wonder how long before Sister Jean enters the transfer portal?

Comment

• The money that Loyola is sitting on in boosters, alumni, endowment and real estate would make most of the Big East blush.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                            The money that Loyola is sitting on in boosters, alumni, endowment, and real estate would make most of the Big East blush.
                            I'm a Loyola alum and have to say you're spot on. Loyola is the second biggest landowner in the city of Chicago behind only the City of Chicago. You can imagine the land value of both their Watertower Place campus and their Lakeshore Campus (remember, there is very little private property that touches Lake Michigan in the city limits). Most of the lakefront is protected from development. Even outside the city, the Medical School Campus and the Seminary are either on valuable land or have a large footprint.
                            SpayVac pZP vaccine is the only contraceptive vaccine demonstrating single-dose, long-term effect in over abundant wildlife.

Comment

• And just like that first thing I see when I wake up this morning. They moved quick :

Comment

• I know things aren’t alway perfect at UNI. However watching Porter leave Loyola, Lansing fired at isub,Yesufu transferring from Drake, DJ Horne leaving Illinois St etc, it does make me appreciate the stability of the program. Win lose or draw we have a quality coach and good kids who will be competing at a very high level. The fact that we have never had kids jumping ship shows to me that the program is being run the right way, and the players are being treated with respect.
                                "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Working...
                                X