WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the Valley News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post
    Covid is obviously a major cause of this but also I think that the current generation of students is much more concerned with student loan debt and repayment than some previous generations.
    It's also realizing that getting a degree doesn't automatically get you a better job these days. As someone growing up in the early 00s and 10s, I and everyone else my age was told "Just get a degree and you're set." Whether or not that was ever true, I don't know, but it definitely isn't now. So now people are looking at degrees that are more promising job-wise, which, frankly, just don't exist at UNI as plentiful as it does at Iowa or ISU. I'm sure there's reasons why that I'm just ignorant of, but I'm very confused as to why UNI doesn't offer more STEM degrees. It's "STEM" and "Other" for degrees, these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

Dancer was closed for remodeling but I have not heard if it has reopened or not. Occupancy has to be down significantly though.
      How long has Dancer been closed for remodeling?

Downward trend for Fall Semester Residence Hall Occupancy since 2016 for women, since 2017 for men according the the 2020-21 UNI Fact Book (pg. 36, download it at https://ir.uni.edu/uni-facts).

It only goes back as far as 2010 there, but women were trending downward from 2010 to a bump up for Fall '14 and Fall '15, then downward since. Men's residency was fairly stable until 2017, then dropped significantly (I can't get a link to an image to load, but there is a chart in the report that tells it well).
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

How long has Dancer been closed for remodeling?

Downward trend for Fall Semester Residence Hall Occupancy since 2016 for women, since 2017 for men according the the 2020-21 UNI Fact Book (pg. 36, download it at https://ir.uni.edu/uni-facts).

It only goes back as far as 2010 there, but women were trending downward from 2010 to a bump up for Fall '14 and Fall '15, then downward since. Men's residency was fairly stable until 2017, then dropped significantly (I can't get a link to an image to load, but there is a chart in the report that tells it well).
        I did a little bit of google searching at it sounds like what was planned in 2019 didn't actually start (there's a KWWL article talking about the plans: (https://kwwl.com/2019/04/15/uni-dorm...e-closed-down/).

According to the Northern Iowan it did close for the 2019-2020 year but it did not receive any renovations.

“We have to determine what we can do with Dancer Hall with its structure… which walls can be removed without compromising the structural integrity,” he said. “I would like to get an engineer inside of Dancer while it is closed to do a deep analysis to see what we can and can’t do.”
        It sounds like they have trouble filling the towers and they are typically the lowest re-contracting rates of the dorms on campus. The quads have all been undergoing renovations with Noehren expected to be completed this fall. Full article below:

UNI students returning to campus this fall were greeted by updates in university housing and dining offerings.  Dancer Hall is closed for the 2019-2020 academic year,  largely based on contracting rates, according to Glenn Gray, Executive Director of Residence. “Bender and Dancer…are typically the last two halls to fill on campus, and they also have...
        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

It's also realizing that getting a degree doesn't automatically get you a better job these days. As someone growing up in the early 00s and 10s, I and everyone else my age was told "Just get a degree and you're set." Whether or not that was ever true, I don't know, but it definitely isn't now. So now people are looking at degrees that are more promising job-wise, which, frankly, just don't exist at UNI as plentiful as it does at Iowa or ISU. I'm sure there's reasons why that I'm just ignorant of, but I'm very confused as to why UNI doesn't offer more STEM degrees. It's "STEM" and "Other" for degrees, these days.
          There is work going on within the Department of Technology to rebrand into a much more STEM based format and emphasize the programs in place along with work to create an exciting new graduate program that is much needed in the area. The Department of Technology has tried to work with Math, Computer Science, and the Physics Departments to organize into a STEM based college but as is common in places like a university or large business, no one wants to concede any "territory" to someone else. We have even reached out to the business college to talk about setting up curriculum around managing technical fields but they don't have any interest either.

It is sad to see a lack of willingness to change 100 year old thinking on boundaries in teaching. On the plus side Mark Nook is willing to lobby against ISU and Iowa in rebranding the Department of Technology. This has been something that has been needed for some time now. Also the preliminary plans for the ITC renovation will bring it out of the 70's Industrial Arts concept and make it into a top flight learning building that people will want to go to.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• It may be time to retire and demolish the towers and Campbell in favor of a more desirable type of set-up on the north side of Campus. No matter what you do, those buildings will always be tall, cramped, cement buildings with no air conditioning. They were built for a time that has come and gone. I think Iowa has the same concerns with Reinow and Slater Halls.

A STEM-Buisness leadership program would seem like a slam dunk for a university our size. Hopefully the tenured doofuses get their heads out of their rears and wake up to the new reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

There is work going on within the Department of Technology to rebrand into a much more STEM based format and emphasize the programs in place along with work to create an exciting new graduate program that is much needed in the area. The Department of Technology has tried to work with Math, Computer Science, and the Physics Departments to organize into a STEM based college but as is common in places like a university or large business, no one wants to concede any "territory" to someone else. We have even reached out to the business college to talk about setting up curriculum around managing technical fields but they don't have any interest either.

It is sad to see a lack of willingness to change 100 year old thinking on boundaries in teaching. On the plus side Mark Nook is willing to lobby against ISU and Iowa in rebranding the Department of Technology. This has been something that has been needed for some time now. Also the preliminary plans for the ITC renovation will bring it out of the 70's Industrial Arts concept and make it into a top flight learning building that people will want to go to.

Good to hear Nook is trying. I’m an old M.T. grad and felt there was so much potential in that program. My personal opinion is that the school develop an apprenticeship program with Deere to help drive targeted employees for Deere, as well as curriculum/education for the school/students. I’m positive other area businesses would jump on board to something like this as well..especially now with knowledgeable personnel hard to come by. I know Hawkeye has entry level apprenticeship programs for machining. Why can’t they set something similar up for engineering, supervising, or technical positions? I could care less about the degree’s “title”, and I’m sure the students would agree if that meant they could get a leg up on a career following school.

Easier said than done, I’m sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                It may be time to retire and demolish the towers and Campbell in favor of a more desirable type of set-up on the north side of Campus. No matter what you do, those buildings will always be tall, cramped, cement buildings with no air conditioning. They were built for a time that has come and gone. I think Iowa has the same concerns with Reinow and Slater Halls.

A STEM-Buisness leadership program would seem like a slam dunk for a university our size. Hopefully the tenured doofuses get their heads out of their rears and wake up to the new reality.
                I lived in Campbell freshman year and would not want my own kids to live there now. It wasn't terrible... but it sure wasn't comfortable. And times have just changed so much to think about going back to that type of setup/living style.
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• What do the housing units south of the Quads look like? These were built after my son graduated so I'm not familiar with the configuration. Are they more like apartment style living?
                  "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Cats View Post
                    What do the housing units south of the Quads look like? These were built after my son graduated so I'm not familiar with the configuration. Are they more like apartment style living?
                    Yes, Like Roth but nicer I think kinda but not 100% sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

I lived in Campbell freshman year and would not want my own kids to live there now. It wasn't terrible... but it sure wasn't comfortable. And times have just changed so much to think about going back to that type of setup/living style.
                      Ah Campbell. A friend worked the night desk there in the mid-'80s ... one could access the tunnel system under the campus from one of the doors behind the desk back then, the legend has it.
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Yes, Like Roth but nicer I think kinda but not 100% sure
                        They are more apartment than ROTH. If memory serves, ROTH uses a common family / kitchen with attached bedrooms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Cats View Post
                          What do the housing units south of the Quads look like? These were built after my son graduated so I'm not familiar with the configuration. Are they more like apartment style living?
                          They are beautiful, always wanted to do a year there but couldn't stomach the price. It's 2-3x as much as a decent apartment off campus.

Apartment style with tons of nice amenities. Definitely a longer hike to class from there but Roth is way worse.

I did Campbell from '13-'14 and loved it. Except for about a week stretch when temps were hitting like 110 degrees no AC.

I remember kids would exaggerate seasonal allergies so they could get an AC unit in their room
                          Last edited by MNpanthers; 05-05-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

I lived in Campbell for three years and loved it! The community there was fantastic. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think traditional dorms with communal bathrooms are better than fancy suite+style dorms. Students benefit from affordable housing and a strong community. Unfortunately it's not what incoming freshmen think they want.

Comment

• Man, this thread is making me feel really old. I lived in Bartlett back in the early '90's when Campbell was a ladies only dorm.

Comment

• Originally posted by anderjao View Post

I lived in Campbell for three years and loved it! The community there was fantastic. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think traditional dorms with communal bathrooms are better than fancy suite+style dorms. Students benefit from affordable housing and a strong community. Unfortunately it's not what incoming freshmen think they want.
                                Yea, I enjoyed Campbell as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X