WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the Valley News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the Valley News

Jeff Goodman is reporting that Greg Lansing is likely out at Indiana State after the season. Interesting move. I always like to see people with Iowa roots do well so this is kind of a bummer.

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
    Jeff Goodman is reporting that Greg Lansing is likely out at Indiana State after the season. Interesting move. I always like to see people with Iowa roots do well so this is kind of a bummer.
    Dumb move by the AD there if true. ISU blue is a tough job, but I think Lansing is definitely one of the top coaches in the league regardless.

Comment

I hope Indiana State finishes last every year for the next decade. What he does for that salary and within that budget is as well as you can possibly do there.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        I hope Indiana State finishes last every year for the next decade. What he does for that salary and within that budget is as well as you can possibly do there.
        Yeah that's a bad move. He had a pretty damn good year.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Agreed. Very good coach and really seems like a good person too. This is kind of a head scratcher.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Dumb. Larry Bird must have contacted the administration about doing some pro bono work. The rumors were out there last year about Lansing as well and he may have got the boot then, but no one was going to start over in the middle of a pandemic. Instead, he gets another year, they exceed expectations and he still gets the boot? Yep - makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
              Instead, he gets another year, they exceed expectations and he still gets the boot? Yep - makes sense.
              Yeah, kind of weird how coaches can be very successful and folks who only understand sports from the standpoint of ESPN still call for their jobs, eh?

Comment

Greg Lansing's ex-wife Angie is Associate Athletic Director at Indiana State and was the interim Director of Athletics for the Sycamores from January through April of 2016 (a year before Greg Lansing's automatic roll-over contract was cancelled. just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                  Agreed. Very good coach and really seems like a good person too. This is kind of a head scratcher.
                  I don't feel that strongly and does seem like a decent guy who runs a clean program. But he's a .500 coach and I don't think they've sniffed making NCAA since his first year. Not really shocking at some point a school would decide to go a different direction. No guarantees you'll get someone better but if winning the Valley and/or making the NCAA is a goal you're haven't met that goal in 10 years.

That's not factoring in anything around his salary/basketball budget and how much there is a financial commitment by ISU that those goals are reasonable. But if those aren't their goals it's a bad sign of Valley.

Comment

The Lansing news is official. And the reaction to it has been universally negative. It will be interesting if some of their guys transfer.

Comment

Up to this weekend I was not a fan of Loyola's Porter Moser. That all changed this weekend when Moser had a great take on Greg Lansing at Indiana State. “Last night I heard the chants and I heard today, ‘Keep Greg Lansing’. I just have a hard time swallowing that. Why is it even an issue? The guy is almost the all-time leading winner in the history of their school, he’s battling for a championship,” Moser said.

Comment

Some coaching stuff to think about in the coming weeks. According to The Athletic, a source told the writer there's a 2% chance Porter Moser is back at Loyola next season. They seem to think DePaul and Boston College are the two most likely landing spots in addition to any openings in the Midwest if he leaves.

Another interesting one may be Minnesota for Moser or Devries. Pitino is most likely out and I could see them looking at either of those guys.

Comment

I've seen whispers of Ben too for Minnesota but I don't think it has any legs, especialy given how this season would be percieved. Mostly just random fans.

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
                            I've seen whispers of Ben too for Minnesota but I don't think it has any legs, especialy given how this season would be percieved. Mostly just random fans.
                            I've seen that too. Not an awful idea by his agent to float it to keep him relevant.

The chances of him moving with his son going into his senior year of high school and being the returning starting quarterback at CF? Darn near zero.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Wasn’t he the likeliest candidate awhile back for that job? Possibly when they ended up hiring Pitino?

Comment

Working...
                              X