WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the Valley News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

I am interested in seeing how this plays out. He was very good but he was also taking a ton of shots per game and not making a high %. That likely will not fly at KU.
    I give the move a D+.....

Comment

• If you have an individualistic offense, pass and whoever gets chance to drive and score, do it, Yesefu is going to shine.
      If not, he'll be a good practice partner.

Comment

• They are discussing leaving the Valley for a better conference on Drake Nation. Delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

I am interested in seeing how this plays out. He was very good but he was also taking a ton of shots per game and not making a high %. That likely will not fly at KU.
          He’ll have others around him at KU who are threats to both drive and bomb away from outside. That will create some space for him. He’ll be fine, and won’t be expected/needed to put up 30 a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherFan View Post
            They are discussing leaving the Valley for a better conference on Drake Nation. Delusional.
            To be fair one person brought it up and everyone else seems pretty realistic about how its not going to happen. We often talk about going to another conference on this message board and its just as delusional. No one wants UNI football and we are not a basketball program that deserves a invite.

if and when drake or UNI go to a different conference it will be because another major shift in conference realignment. people can complain all they want but if teams continue to improve we can be a 2 bid league more often than not.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
              To be fair one person brought it up and everyone else seems pretty realistic about how its not going to happen. We often talk about going to another conference on this message board and its just as delusional.
              I'm glad someone else noticed the similarities.

Or perhaps the NCAA should just pull the plug on the 2021/2022 basketball season (similar to how people want them to pull the plug on the current FCS football season)

Comment

• It's an interesting thought exercise, who has the better chance of upgrading conferences, UNI or Drake, with the built in knowledge that the most likely is still only 0.01% chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                  It's an interesting thought exercise, who has the better chance of upgrading conferences, UNI or Drake, with the built in knowledge that the most likely is still only 0.01% chance.
                  Drake because they don't have the boat anchor that is FCS Scholarship Football.
                  #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                    Yesufu to Kansas
                    Holy cow, that’s quite the upgrade!

I do tire of the growing lack of loyalty (just take the two D+ examples Robbins and Yesefu for example). Not heavily recruited, a team gives you a shot, then you bolt as soon as you can get something better to a coaching staff that didn’t give you the time of day a year ago. How about rewarding the team who gave you your shot???? But well, um, now that I read that, it’s not much different than coaches moving up the ranks. Well crap...

I still don’t like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNI Ka-Bullseye View Post

I do tire of the growing lack of loyalty (just take the two D+ examples Robbins and Yesefu for example). Not heavily recruited, a team gives you a shot, then you bolt as soon as you can get something better to a coaching staff that didn’t give you the time of day a year ago. How about rewarding the team who gave you your shot???? But well, um, now that I read that, it’s not much different than coaches moving up the ranks. Well crap...

I still don’t like it.
                      Robbins’ uncle was on the staff at Minnesota, which partially explains his move.

A couple of semi-related items:

- The DMR is reporting Iowa is actively involved in recruiting Robbins, which makes sense. They also said there’s a rumor tying Robbins’ uncle to an opening at Vanderbilt, which potentially ties in Robbins. Vanderbilt is also a great academic institution if he’s factoring that in.

- Same article said Iowa State didn’t recruit Yesufu due to their continued pursuit of Hunter, the 5 star PG from Milwaukee. Yesufu and Hunter are basically the same player, and Iowa State needs to promise Hunter he’ll have the ball in his hands. He’s the whole key to their roster this year. Yesefu’s offers included several name schools from all over the country. The two best basketball schools of the bunch were USC and Wisconsin. They also said there was word Gonzaga was looking strongly at him.

Comment

I still don’t like it.
                        Add Rayvonte Rice and Joey King to that list too. Drake can't catch a break sometimes.

Comment

I still don’t like it.
                          I totally understand this mindset, but I also like to think about it from the athlete's perspective. All of these guys have a dream of playing D1 basketball at the highest level and eventually playing professionally. If they work hard enough and get good enough to play at that level, I don't blame them one bit for doing that. Have you guys seen the housing and facilities Kansas has for their players? It's incredible. And like Ka-Bullseye mentioned, coaches are typically looking to coach at the highest level, so it cuts both ways. I don't fault kids for trying to improve their situations to get to their ultimate goals.

Comment

I still don’t like it.

Seems like we are on the verge of having a semi-pro league in which players get paid and may be "traded" or have "free agency." Perhaps then, college sports can go back to being college sports. However, there is still that pesky problem of inflated coaches' salaries.

Comment

• I'm sure it would be exciting to play at Kansas or Duke or whoever, so I understand that part However when I look at what Drake and UNI have coming back I would think some of these guys would see that they could be part of something just as special, by staying in place. In some ways I think it could be more special to take a school to new heights.
                              "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Tyreke Key has been participating in offseason workouts with Indiana State. If he were to come back that totally changes what their expectations would be for the year.

The new coach's recruiting has been incredibly underwhelming as he's bringing 5 or 6 guys from the D2 school he was coaching.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X