WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Around the Valley News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Cats View Post
    Since both Iowa and Iowa State already have a College of Engineering, the Board of Regents would most likely not allow UNI to have it's own program. They would call it "duplication of services" and deny the program's start-up.
    Right, I agree, but I personally don’t really care about the college or degree “titles” as much as the meat of programs offered. We can keep it under “Manufacturing Tech” degrees, but just retool them. If we can skip past most of the politics (not sure that’s entirely possible), and go straight to the manufacturing companies to get a “go-live” approach to an entry level engineering degree, I think you can gain a lot of attention from both the companies and kids looking for careers that land jobs out of college. What do the companies need? What would be the best approach to get them most ready to hit the floor running? You could get enough companies to sign on to hire “X” amount of graduates each year or some other similar agreement. The graduates would have the skills the manufacturing companies helped design so they would be ready to help right away without as much upfront training. Win-win.

There are plenty of avenues to take that get companies invested in the colleges. Let companies design the path and they will also drive the demand, which will, in turn drive success in the college, whatever the “degree name” happens to be. I think community colleges think more in-step with community demand and that is something UNI needs to tap into more. Our community is rich in manufacturing and that is also very reciprocal throughout the country if it is done right. Not an easy approach, but one worth pursuing, IMHO.

Comment

• It’s being reported Drake is joining a major November tourney in Orlando. Teams are Kansas, North Texas, Alabama, Iona, Miami, Dayton, Belmont, and maybe one or two others which escape me. Good for them. With Krutwig gone, they’re probably the Valley’s most marketable team right now. It’s a chance for the MVC to make some non-conference noise, and Drake needs to take advantage of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
        It’s being reported Drake is joining a major November tourney in Orlando. Teams are Kansas, North Texas, Alabama, Iona, Miami, Dayton, Belmont, and maybe one or two others which escape me. Good for them. With Krutwig gone, they’re probably the Valley’s most marketable team right now. It’s a chance for the MVC to make some non-conference noise, and Drake needs to take advantage of it.
        So Drake is supposed to get some kind of reward for playing in the same caliber tournament that most of the league has consistently played in for 15 years?

Okay, great. Good for them. Love the Drake. Yay.
        #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

So Drake is supposed to get some kind of reward for playing in the same caliber tournament that most of the league has consistently played in for 15 years?

Reward if they win, sure. Drake has needed to schedule up. Their program is on an upward trajectory, so here’s a chance to boost it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

The guy who's one month sober after the court ordered him to get sober gets rewarded, I don't touch a drop for all 23 years of being alive and no one gives a rooty tooty. That's just how it goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

The guy who's one month sober after the court ordered him to get sober gets rewarded, I don't touch a drop for all 23 years of being alive and no one gives a rooty tooty. That's just how it goes.
              Well, not exactly. You get the rewards of not having to be in court/get punished for something; having the respect and admiration of friends and family for not ever having a drinking problem and having the ability to brag about never taking a drink on message boards, twitter, anywhere you want. The 'reward' for them is recognition they overcome an obstacle (ie alcoholism or addiction) and encouraging it to continue.

In this case, I'm not sure it's an analogy that fully works. DeVries was not responsible for Drake's previous history of low-scheduling, but it looks like he's changing that and getting them to the point where they are invited to events. Good for them and good for the Valley to be seen in more.
              Last edited by BobCat; 05-21-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobCat View Post

Well, not exactly. You get the rewards of not having to be in court/get punished for something; having the respect and admiration of friends and family for not ever having a drinking problem and having the ability to brag about never taking a drink on message boards, twitter, anywhere you want. The 'reward' for them is recognition they overcome an obstacle (ie alcoholism or addiction) and encouraging it to continue.

In this case, I'm not sure it's an analogy that fully works. DeVries was not responsible for Drake's previous history of low-scheduling, but it looks like he's changing that and getting them to the point where they are invited to events. Good for them and good for the Valley to be seen in more.
                I find the gripes about Drake's scheduling pretty entertaining. God forbid a new coach come in and schedule games his team can win, build some confidence and a fan base. What an idiot! He could have come in and scheduled tougher games, had their brains beat in and have a fan base that's as excited as the current UNI Football fan base.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobCat View Post

This is spot on correct. Those of you tossing out negative comments should stop and realize that anything good Drake does is good for the Valley, and all the other members. Rethink your definition of the word logic and get back to us.

Comment

Working...
                  X