WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

I'm still confused why people are surprised that seniors are returning for a 5th season. This is literally the time of their lives. Unless they will move onto the NBA, its a no brainer to return.
    I am super stoked at the 21-22 roster but keep in mind other teams will return seniors as well and will also be stacked. It will be a very interesting season with much more seasoned rosters/lineups on the court night in and night out.
    I would guess any former player would have done just about anything for one more year and would tell all of these guys to take advantage of it. These guys have the next 40 years of their lives to work and be adults. Enjoy every second you can in college, especially if you are part of a team that has as much potential as this one should.

Comment

• Originally posted by FOTY View Post
      I know I’m likely the odd person out on this... and it pains me to say.

We will have essentially the exact same team we saw the first few games last season, less our top assistant plus a few true freshman (who will likely play little or sparingly). I don’t recall any of us being overly impressed. Granted, there is the theory AJ was playing injured. On paper we should be really, really good. That said, I’ll hold my optimism until I see some success on the court the first few games.
      For a bit more context, though, not only was AJ playing injured, we also unexpectedly lost Berhow for that weekend, and Pickford (in hindsight) was very much out of basketball shape, which wasn't completely remedied until the last few weeks. Three of our five starters had issues of varying degrees, and we still had three good games against NIT and NCAA teams. Add in that underclassmen were most of our biggest contributors who looked even better as the year went on (and now get a normal offseason/preseason, which can't be understated how big that is), and there's certainly reason to be optimistic.

Like you said, that's just on paper. That's why they play the game, yada yada yada, but next season is certainly looking better than it was last night, when Carter was gone and no one knew if AJ was sticking around.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
        One thing that really jumps out at me is all the experience we'll have next year. A former POY, two fifth year seniors who've each played 90+ career games, another guy who has started 84 at UNI, two sophomores who each started 20+ games their freshman season, plus another guy who finished last year very strong and may be starting next season. That doesn't even include Mar who has played 100 D1 games, and guys like Kimmons, Anderson and Duax who are young and have a ton of potential. As others have said, the thing that could really put this team over the top is another big coming in (which I think is unlikely) or Betz/Henry taking a big leap forward next season.
        I whole heartedly agree with this. We are so deep and talented everywhere else on the roster, and we'll be experienced to boot next year...it just feels like a wasted opportunity to really go all in on this team if we fail to bring in a bruiser.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

For a bit more context, though, not only was AJ playing injured, we also unexpectedly lost Berhow for that weekend, and Pickford (in hindsight) was very much out of basketball shape, which wasn't completely remedied until the last few weeks. Three of our five starters had issues of varying degrees, and we still had three good games against NIT and NCAA teams. Add in that underclassmen were most of our biggest contributors who looked even better as the year went on (and now get a normal offseason/preseason, which can't be understated how big that is), and there's certainly reason to be optimistic.

Like you said, that's just on paper. That's why they play the game, yada yada yada, but next season is certainly looking better than it was last night, when Carter was gone and no one knew if AJ was sticking around.
          You mentioned AJ, Berhow and Pickford. Throw in Kimmons admittedly not having his head in the right place due to things at home, then you had a couple true freshman each averaging well over 20 mpg in their first college games against very good competition - all 3 team we played that week made the NCAAs/NIT. Thinking about it now makes me surprised those 3 were all very close games.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
            Kyle Green to ISU is official. We will see if there are any dominoes and what coach we get

Iowa State is the only Big 12 team to hire the father/uncle/brother/mother of a great player, but not get the player!

Comment

• Home-and-home this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopfan View Post

Pickford was the best player on the floor in the one game in STL this year. Hopefully he has a healthy offseason and is able to spend time working on his shot. The minutes he spent as the primary ballhandler will make him a better player next year and give the team more versatility. If he becomes more of a consistent threat from 3, it opens up the floor for everyone else, especially Phyfe. If Pickford can make a similar improvement with his shot to what Isaiah Brown did before his last year on campus, he could be a really strong 4th or 5th option all year. Whether or not his offensive game improves, he's still the best on ball defender on the team and should have a significant role next year.
                I'll take Pickford improving his shot as much as Marvin did from junior to senior year, even the 15 footer will make him much more effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Is it just a coincidence that Carter enters the transfer portal, then on the day coach Green leaves, Carter takes his name out of the transfer portal? Is there more to this story?
                  Maybe would have left if AJ was going with Kyle and just got a jumpstart on the portal in case any of his preferred options were planning to act early?

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                    Hopefully Greg Lansing is on speed dial.
                    Yes, Lansing would be a natural. Good at play calling and recruiting. He's from Iowa and could get some Indiana recruits too.

Comment

• Today is a good day. I was expecting things to shake out completely differently.

***Also, if you haven't put a few certain people on ignore. It will make this day even sweeter.
                      Click my profile -> My settings -> Account -> Scroll to bottom and type names in of names to ignore.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        Noah Carter has removed his name from the transfer portal and will return.

Today. Today is a good day.
                        Awesome! I did look earlier at it and didn't see him. We're going to the dance

Just my guess

Starters

Born
                        Green
                        Berhow
                        Carter
                        Phyfe

2nd unit

Kimmons
                        Heise
                        Anderson
                        Betz
                        Henry

The rest
                        Duax plays right away
                        Pickford
                        Mar
                        Courbot redshirts
                        Wolf redshifts
                        Krogman
                        Daniel
                        One open ride left.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

The rest...
                          ...Duax plays right away
                          Pickford...
                          I wouldn't be surprised if Pickford/Carter took turns being the sixth man, matchup depending. Pickford was playing reaaaaaaaaaaal good basketball towards the end there, and like others have mentioned, if he even gets...hell, like, 5 more feet on his jumper, then there's just going to be no way to guard that starting lineup. Add in all the other stuff that he does well, which is basically everything else, and there's no way that he isn't getting minutes. Otherwise, yeah, that's what it's probably going to look like until we get some reports from training camp.

Honestly, while I do think he would end up playing as a freshman, but I wouldn't be opposed to Duax redshirting. He's good, and doesn't need the redshirt, but getting an extra year of him when we really don't need him to contribute this year, would pay off big in the future. I know that fourth year is no sure thing anymore, but as today has shown, even when Panthers transfer, they don't transfer lol. It's worth the risk, imo.

Comment

• I feel the Berhow news is being underweighted a little. Amongst everything else, this is really good too.

Comment

• If Pickford is healthy there is no way that he doesn't play, he is a great defender, and is always around the ball. Like mentioned earlier at the end of the season no one was playing better. He's not going to get you 15 points but that also isn't his role.

I also wonder if Krogman and Daniel will stick around, they aren't going to get any time at UNI, but could probably contribute nicely at a lower level.

Comment

• I bet Drake gets the preseason favorite nod, and I'd prefer it that way. We have kinda crapped the bed as favorites in recent years

Obviously Loyola will if Krut and Lucas return, I just don't see it happening. They'd be much better served to go make some money, their stock isn't getting any higher.

Comment

Working...
                                X