WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So there are rumors out there that Texas and Oklahoma are threatening to go to the SEC. This could lead to a major realignment. As much as I'd like it to positively effect us, I doubt that it would. Interesting to think about though.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• The team put out a video of practice, and it was fun to get a first look at guys like Duax flying around. Green hit a 3, and Phyfe threw down a dunk. I keep trying to attach the link, but I'm struggling.https://twitter.com/UNImbb/status/14...263652867?s=20

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
        The team put out a video of practice, and it was fun to get a first look at guys like Duax flying around. Green hit a 3, and Phyfe threw down a dunk. I keep trying to attach the link, but I'm struggling.https://twitter.com/UNImbb/status/14...263652867?s=20
        Wait. Phyfe can dunk? Since when?

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
          So there are rumors out there that Texas and Oklahoma are threatening to go to the SEC. This could lead to a major realignment. As much as I'd like it to positively effect us, I doubt that it would. Interesting to think about though.
          Before I talk about my thoughts on joining a new conference, let me say that the ideal change for UNI isn't moving conferences, but would be for the MVFC to go into the FBS. Now I know why that doesn't work, I get it, but I think that's the best option on the table if a "move up" is something you want. Random, crappy bowl game on December 14th pays way more money and gets way more attention than any FCS game, and all you gotta do is get six wins, which is likely almost every year. That would also keep us in a not terrible basketball/volleyball/olympic sport conference. But again, that won't happen and I know why it won't, so it's not even worth thinking about.

I've thought about this before, a few years ago, and my opinion on it really hasn't changed, save for one thing. Short version, yeah, at best, there's really no change for us. In a no change scenario, however, things do get worse as there's more money that gets funneled into the super conferences and away from us. If the PAC, ACC, and B1G all add two Big 12 schools, the leftover two schools probably go to the AAC, and nothing much changes after that.

However, I do see an incredibly unlikely, miniscule, not-going-to-happen-but-possible, path into the MAC. It involves the eight Big 12 schools sticking together, and poaching four schools from the AAC and/or Mountain West (Most Likely Memphis, UCF, Cinci, and Houston, IMO). That conference is good enough to stay P5, although it'd be the weakest one. It'd leave the AAC gutted, however, and they'd go on a desperate rush to fill in both talent and non-overlapping TV markets. And whatever conference/s they'd raid, they'd need to fill some bodies. The way that UNI can get into the FBS, in my mind, is if the Big 12 raids the AAC, the AAC raids the MAC, specifically, taking Northern Illinois, and the MAC needs a bunch of new schools. Specifically, they feel the need to re-expand into the mid-west/plains TV market. Losing Northern Illinois means that there westernmost team would be Western Michigan. If they want access to Illinois, they might pick up the Redbirds, and if they want to pick up access to Iowa while they're in the area, they'd go with UNI.

Again, this is not going to happen. We are not going FBS, and we're not joining the MAC. For many, many, many reasons, some valid, some completely BS, but many reasons. This is just, imo, the most likely path. And that's because it's a 0.0001% possibility instead of a 0.000000001% possibility. I still think the best option for going FBS is taking the whole conference FBS, but that will not happen. Just like any advancement into the FBS, it will not happen.

Frankly, I'll be thrilled if we still have a University of Northern Iowa in a decade, rather than a University of Iowa-Cedar Falls. Any conference realignment that doesn't completely bone us is just icing on the cake.

Comment

• "University of Iowa-Cedar Falls"

What a horrible thought. Iowa State University-Cedar Falls would be a little less unbearable.

Comment

• Wonder what Jamie Pollard is thinking about right now? Other than the diamond forming in his lower region.

Will Jack Trice still be full if there is no last second collapse to Texas to watch? I'm certain that there will be a hit to TV money and MBB shares, eventually.

Comment

• He's spent every dime they're scheduled to get. If the bottom falls out, they're in unimaginable financial trouble. The money it would take for the university and state to bail them out would be the most controversial thing we've seen in a while.

Sidenote, Iowa is amazingly lucky that they clung on to the rest of the Big Ten 100 years ago. If they weren't an OG member, they'd be in the exact same boat.
                #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

Before I talk about my thoughts on joining a new conference, let me say that the ideal change for UNI isn't moving conferences, but would be for the MVFC to go into the FBS. Now I know why that doesn't work, I get it, but I think that's the best option on the table if a "move up" is something you want. Random, crappy bowl game on December 14th pays way more money and gets way more attention than any FCS game, and all you gotta do is get six wins, which is likely almost every year. That would also keep us in a not terrible basketball/volleyball/olympic sport conference. But again, that won't happen and I know why it won't, so it's not even worth thinking about.

I've thought about this before, a few years ago, and my opinion on it really hasn't changed, save for one thing. Short version, yeah, at best, there's really no change for us. In a no change scenario, however, things do get worse as there's more money that gets funneled into the super conferences and away from us. If the PAC, ACC, and B1G all add two Big 12 schools, the leftover two schools probably go to the AAC, and nothing much changes after that.

However, I do see an incredibly unlikely, miniscule, not-going-to-happen-but-possible, path into the MAC. It involves the eight Big 12 schools sticking together, and poaching four schools from the AAC and/or Mountain West (Most Likely Memphis, UCF, Cinci, and Houston, IMO). That conference is good enough to stay P5, although it'd be the weakest one. It'd leave the AAC gutted, however, and they'd go on a desperate rush to fill in both talent and non-overlapping TV markets. And whatever conference/s they'd raid, they'd need to fill some bodies. The way that UNI can get into the FBS, in my mind, is if the Big 12 raids the AAC, the AAC raids the MAC, specifically, taking Northern Illinois, and the MAC needs a bunch of new schools. Specifically, they feel the need to re-expand into the mid-west/plains TV market. Losing Northern Illinois means that there westernmost team would be Western Michigan. If they want access to Illinois, they might pick up the Redbirds, and if they want to pick up access to Iowa while they're in the area, they'd go with UNI.

Again, this is not going to happen. We are not going FBS, and we're not joining the MAC. For many, many, many reasons, some valid, some completely BS, but many reasons. This is just, imo, the most likely path. And that's because it's a 0.0001% possibility instead of a 0.000000001% possibility. I still think the best option for going FBS is taking the whole conference FBS, but that will not happen. Just like any advancement into the FBS, it will not happen.

Frankly, I'll be thrilled if we still have a University of Northern Iowa in a decade, rather than a University of Iowa-Cedar Falls. Any conference realignment that doesn't completely bone us is just icing on the cake.
                  The big bowls pay well. The mid-December bowls can actually create debt for a program:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/n...he-bonus-check

I remain convinced that there are Regents whose goals include choking UNI out of existence.
                  Last edited by ronfitch; 07-22-2021, 09:42 AM.
                  "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• In other words, fake news. https://www.politifact.com/article/2...news-channels/

Which winning percentage is better: 61% or 65%?

Comment

• With this Tx & OK re alignment talk, I continue to believe that sports conferences will be split up among sports. SEC for football B12 for basketball, MVC for spring sports. Baseball dejur

Comment

• Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                        With this Tx & OK re alignment talk, I continue to believe that sports conferences will be split up among sports. SEC for football B12 for basketball, MVC for spring sports. Baseball dejur
                        Wrestling has been doing that for years. Outside of a handful of teams and conferences, the majority are outside of their regular conferences.
                        Which winning percentage is better: 61% or 65%?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                          With this Tx & OK re alignment talk, I continue to believe that sports conferences will be split up among sports. SEC for football B12 for basketball, MVC for spring sports. Baseball dejur
                          No chance. TV Networks have to have content. We're a couple years away from having 2 SEC Networks. They have to fill the rest of the calendar other than football and basketball. Come on down softball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, etc.

Realistically the Big Ten should change it's name to the FOX Conference and the SEC should become the ESPN League.

Now that NIL is going to shift where booster money goes, the TV nets become even more powerful because that's the money that's going to build facilities and keep athletic departments afloat. That's why your Kentuckys, Vanderbilts and South Carolinas are going to welcome Texas and OU with open arms. Sure, it reduces your chances to win in a meaningful way but it keeps the money flowing.
                          #MACtion

Comment

• The trickle on this likely means very little to anyone outside of the leaves taking the B12 teams as the league stops existing

SEC takes UT and OU to get to 16
                            B10 takes Kansas and Okie State to get to 16
                            The Pac 12 taxes Baylor, Tech, and TCU along with BYU to get to 16

Kansas State and Iowa State end up either MWC or AAC - and the thought of Iowa State kicking off at 10:30p local time at SJSU makes me giggle. Though for UNI that is probably not great as ISU has leveraged all of their money for YEARS against the B12 contract and that money going away means the state will bail them out and do it at the expense of UNI.

The only way this ends up having any impact on UNI or the MVC is the AAC tries to get to 16 and WSU is given an ultimatum of "start football or kick rocks" and WSU decided they want nothing to do with football. The Big East won't touch WSU. The A10 likely doesn't care for for that footprint and a program that is no longer what it was with Marshall in charge with Baker, Van Vleet, Early, etc. WSU wants nothing to do with the WAC or SLC.

Them having to grovel back to the Valley would be fun.
                            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                              The trickle on this likely means very little to anyone outside of the leaves taking the B12 teams as the league stops existing

SEC takes UT and OU to get to 16
                              B10 takes Kansas and Okie State to get to 16
                              The Pac 12 taxes Baylor, Tech, and TCU along with BYU to get to 16

Kansas State and Iowa State end up either MWC or AAC - and the thought of Iowa State kicking off at 10:30p local time at SJSU makes me giggle. Though for UNI that is probably not great as ISU has leveraged all of their money for YEARS against the B12 contract and that money going away means the state will bail them out and do it at the expense of UNI.

The only way this ends up having any impact on UNI or the MVC is the AAC tries to get to 16 and WSU is given an ultimatum of "start football or kick rocks" and WSU decided they want nothing to do with football. The Big East won't touch WSU. The A10 likely doesn't care for for that footprint and a program that is no longer what it was with Marshall in charge with Baker, Van Vleet, Early, etc. WSU wants nothing to do with the WAC or SLC.

Them having to grovel back to the Valley would be fun.
                              Big Ten presidents and chancellors would light themselves on fire before taking Oklahoma State and their academics. If they want to expand again, Kansas does make sense, and other options would be Iowa State, Mizzou or Virginia.

Comment

• There's just not enough room for everyone from the Big 12. I think they'll have to soldier on. From a financial standpoint, I just don't see how some programs even come out alive.

But unless they are dumb as rocks, every program has been planning for this very moment for 10 years. It just makes me wonder for all the teams doing huge facility upgrades recently, did they not see the writing on the wall? Or does this all play out alot tamer than we all thought?

Comment

Working...
                                X