WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FOTY View Post
    I know I’m likely the odd person out on this... and it pains me to say.

We will have essentially the exact same team we saw the first few games last season, less our top assistant plus a few true freshman (who will likely play little or sparingly). I don’t recall any of us being overly impressed. Granted, there is the theory AJ was playing injured. On paper we should be really, really good. That said, I’ll hold my optimism until I see some success on the court the first few games.
    I think something else to consider is that we played three really strong teams looking back. Two NIT teams (Saint Mary’s and Western Kentucky)and a tourney team (Utah State). Not to mention Western Kentucky won their conference regular season. All of this with a banged up AJ and missing Berhow. We were playing the freshmen a ton of minutes in those first few games. I also think the defense was nothing compared to what it looked like by the end of the year.

I know we have high expectations for this team but it was quite the tough start.

Comment

I know I’m likely the odd person out on this... and it pains me to say.

We will have essentially the exact same team we saw the first few games last season, less our top assistant plus a few true freshman (who will likely play little or sparingly). I don’t recall any of us being overly impressed. Granted, there is the theory AJ was playing injured. On paper we should be really, really good. That said, I’ll hold my optimism until I see some success on the court the first few games.
      Two big things really hurt us last season imo. 1. We lost 2 of our 3 main ball handlers, which left us with a true freshman running the point all season. Yes, Bowen was the FOY and he played tremendous, but that wasn't an ideal situation to be in. 2. We only played 6/7 guys most the season and outside of Pickford, Berhow and Phyfe, everybody was an underclassman. There was a lot of learning in the fly in a season that was 6-8 games shorter than a normal season. I think that's going to pay big dividends going forward. I wish the guys had a full season to figure things out, because there were some glimpses of real good basketball.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• I really did not expect Berhow and Pickford to return, that is an incredibly pleasant surprise.

To recap in an offseason where we’re sure to see an incredible amount of movement we were able to keep a player who a good chunk of the reason he’s here is because of his dad who went to a bigger in state school and our best player stayed.

Get back our 2nd best player for a 5th year and a 4th with this team who didn’t get to play with AJ at all this year.

A player who was dealing with issues at home and probably had every reason to leave.

a player who was big for us this year and in a season with turmoil could have left.

A 5th year senior who has seen his last two seasons decimated by covid and hasn’t made the tournament.

Big win in my opinion, though I will admit Pickford who deserves his shot may eat into Anderson’s minutes.

Comment

We will have essentially the exact same team we saw the first few games last season, less our top assistant plus a few true freshman (who will likely play little or sparingly). I don’t recall any of us being overly impressed. ...
          I don’t think Bowen or Nate are the same players they were in the first couple games.
          Mar also wasn’t really ready to play and only did because AJ was out and the NCAA said the year won’t count. As a 3-star recruit, hopefully he’ll find a role, but Tytan seems like a better present player and a such a good future player that it will be worth giving him minutes. Unless Mar is more ready next year and Tytan redshirts just to balance the classes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post

I am so damn glad Jake is our coach and not you. Glad to have Noah on the roster, he gives a whole different look size and skill wise from anyone else.
            I am so damn glad I put Mudrafan on ignore. Doesn't keep me from seeing his mean-spirited, idiotic drivel when someone else quotes it, but at least there is a degree of separation.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post

I don’t think Bowen or Nate are the same players they were in the first couple games.
              Mar also wasn’t really ready to play and only did because AJ was out and the NCAA said the year won’t count. As a 3-star recruit, hopefully he’ll find a role, but Tytan seems like a better present player and a such a good future player that it will be worth giving him minutes. Unless Mar is more ready next year and Tytan redshirts just to balance the classes.
              IMO, our best chance to be really good is Tytan to have a big role. Pickford will have a role with his physicality but it shouldnt be a huge role.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post

There is a lot of love for Tytan and I’m absolutely here for it. I love his energy, defense and tenacity, but if they are going to have him on the wings that shot has to get quite a bit better from the outside. I know his percentages don’t look too horrible from last year, but his release is awfully slow and even though he hit a couple he had some others that were downright ugly from 3. From what I remember his FT shooting wasn’t great either.

I don’t want this to sound like I’m bashing him at all. He was asked to play post all through high school, and I think it’s slowed his development offensively honestly.

My guess is Tytan is shooting more than ever before this offseason.

Comment

• Not to bring up a sore point, but I sure would have liked to see Pickford one or two more times at the end of the season. He really looked to be finally returning to shape and looking like the player we thought he could be.
                  "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

• Originally posted by domedays View Post
                    Not to bring up a sore point, but I sure would have liked to see Pickford one or two more times at the end of the season. He really looked to be finally returning to shape and looking like the player we thought he could be.
                    We could have seen him against Drake one more time if the damn MVC was competent...

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post
                      Pretty confused by the Carter situation. Not a fan of the idea to go into the portal just fishing for interest. I understand that unfortunately that may be the new thing but I find it shady if thats what was going on. That could very well turn into a new way for guys to get recruited in the middle of their college career if thats what was going on. Having said that, who knows what was going on or why he did it and pulled out so quickly. I for one thought the possibility of losing Carter was a pretty big deal. He's such a solid player and does a lot of things pretty well. His ability to hit shots is and was a game changer at times and I only expect more with his development. Really happy to have Carter back on the team with the rest of the guys who decided to come back. This team (as it appeared last year) could be very, very good.
                      Is it just a coincidence that Carter enters the transfer portal, then on the day coach Green leaves, Carter takes his name out of the transfer portal? Is there more to this story?

Comment

• I remember those first few games when the announcers where discussing AJ hoping to be drafted in the NBA, but needed to clean up his turnovers. If you guys remember, during those first few games, he turned the ball over quite a bit. When he was out due to his hip, it all made sense. I am sure he was in pain, not as focused as he could have been and a tad slower to fix a misstep. I am very hopeful for a great team to be back next year.

I bought season tickets last year for the very first time. I sure hope I actually get them this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Username View Post
                          I really did not expect Berhow and Pickford to return, that is an incredibly pleasant surprise.

To recap in an offseason where we’re sure to see an incredible amount of movement we were able to keep a player who a good chunk of the reason he’s here is because of his dad who went to a bigger in state school and our best player stayed.

Get back our 2nd best player for a 5th year and a 4th with this team who didn’t get to play with AJ at all this year.

A player who was dealing with issues at home and probably had every reason to leave.

a player who was big for us this year and in a season with turmoil could have left.

A 5th year senior who has seen his last two seasons decimated by covid and hasn’t made the tournament.

Big win in my opinion, though I will admit Pickford who deserves his shot may eat into Anderson’s minutes.

I'm still confused why people are surprised that seniors are returning for a 5th season. This is literally the time of their lives. Unless they will move onto the NBA, its a no brainer to return.
                          I am super stoked at the 21-22 roster but keep in mind other teams will return seniors as well and will also be stacked. It will be a very interesting season with much more seasoned rosters/lineups on the court night in and night out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Is it just a coincidence that Carter enters the transfer portal, then on the day coach Green leaves, Carter takes his name out of the transfer portal? Is there more to this story?
                            I feel like this is reaching.

it’s not just Carter, it’s Berhow, Pickford, and Kimmons as well. These guys probably have a pretty big bond.

Comment

• Originally posted by domedays View Post
                              Not to bring up a sore point, but I sure would have liked to see Pickford one or two more times at the end of the season. He really looked to be finally returning to shape and looking like the player we thought he could be.
                              Pickford was the best player on the floor in the one game in STL this year. Hopefully he has a healthy offseason and is able to spend time working on his shot. The minutes he spent as the primary ballhandler will make him a better player next year and give the team more versatility. If he becomes more of a consistent threat from 3, it opens up the floor for everyone else, especially Phyfe. If Pickford can make a similar improvement with his shot to what Isaiah Brown did before his last year on campus, he could be a really strong 4th or 5th option all year. Whether or not his offensive game improves, he's still the best on ball defender on the team and should have a significant role next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

I'm still confused why people are surprised that seniors are returning for a 5th season. This is literally the time of their lives. Unless they will move onto the NBA, its a no brainer to return.
                                I am super stoked at the 21-22 roster but keep in mind other teams will return seniors as well and will also be stacked. It will be a very interesting season with much more seasoned rosters/lineups on the court night in and night out.
                                You’re probably right, I just didn’t know what seniors across the nation were going to do in these wishy washy times.

we’ll have to see the final numbers the start of next year

Comment

Working...
                                X