WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I've currently got us penciled in for 12th in the Valley.
    Is that before or after ISU_Ames is added? Haha

Comment

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Is that before or after ISU_Ames is added? Haha

Ouch. What a weird time in college football.

Comment

• So, rumor is that the Big 12 is looking at UCF, Cincinnati and Houston from the AAC (plus BYU). That would completely GUT the AAC for basketball and leave Wichita in a tough position. What's the end game here for the AAC if this happens? Do they try to poach from the A-10 or something? Although I don't really know why any teams would want to move from the A-10 to AAC if they lose those 3 - plus UConn a year or two ago.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• They don't have anybody out there that fits their institutional profile (urban, commuter style schools that focus on tech).

Dayton, StL, VCU, Richmond will wait forever for a Big East invite.

Duquesne isn't leaving to be a bottom dwelling outlier.

You're probably looking at Charlotte, North Texas and Western Kentucky which decimates your chances at consistently having a team in the expanded playoff and puts Memphis in a spot where they're going to take any lateral offer they can find.

The AAC falls into the tier with the A10, Valley, Mountain West and WCC but they've done nothing but tell those leagues they're better so scheduling is going to be a nightmare and they'll deserve every bit of it.
          #MACtion

Comment

• Wichita State left a conference that had Loyola, UNI, Bradley, and Missouri State, and "upgraded" all the way to a conference that has Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane, and East Carolina. God this rules so hard. P6, baby.

Comment

• When Creighton left, everybody totally understood it. It made sense, the TV package was baked in, the money was going to roll and everybody wished them well knowing that we'd have all taken the exact same deal if we could have. Their fans were great and completely classy on the way out.

When Wichita left, we all knew they were making a huge mistake, joining a league full of teams that didn't want to be in together or in a league together. The TV package was short term and incredibly one-sided in ESPNs favor, they were getting a fraction of the money the football schools did and we all looked at them like they were crazy for leaving the stability. Their fans were total *******s and bragged about being too good for the Valley and being the first people on the history of the planet that couldn't find a good steak in Iowa.

Since then, Gregggggggggg revealed himself as a giant racist, narcissistic, insecure, asshat bully. Their league is falling apart in front of them and the little TV money they do get is going to be totally dependent on how much Memphis is going to be willing to share.

This is delicious.
              #MACtion

Comment

When Creighton left, everybody totally understood it. It made sense, the TV package was baked in, the money was going to roll and everybody wished them well knowing that we'd have all taken the exact same deal if we could have. Their fans were great and completely classy on the way out.

When Wichita left, we all knew they were making a huge mistake, joining a league full of teams that didn't want to be in together or in a league together. The TV package was short term and incredibly one-sided in ESPNs favor, they were getting a fraction of the money the football schools did and we all looked at them like they were crazy for leaving the stability. Their fans were total *******s and bragged about being too good for the Valley and being the first people on the history of the planet that couldn't find a good steak in Iowa.

Since then, Gregggggggggg revealed himself as a giant racist, narcissistic, insecure, asshat bully. Their league is falling apart in front of them and the little TV money they do get is going to be totally dependent on how much Memphis is going to be willing to share.

This is delicious.
                And I believe they have zero NCAA tourney wins since leaving the Valley...and a First Four play-in game loss to Drake.

It's pretty fantastic.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• I said a long time ago that without football Wichita is screwed, and it's finally proving to be true. Unless the Big East wanted them, they have options that are really no better than the Valley. They have great facilities and a boat load of money, but it can't buy everything.
                  To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Nothing fits the Big East's profile like a commuter school that produces Boeing assembly workers and Pizza Hut managers...
                    #MACtion

Comment

Nothing fits the Big East's profile like a commuter school that produces Boeing assembly workers and Pizza Hut managers...
                      Yea I agree it's not an ideal fit, but I really wouldn't be too surprised if a good basketball program and ton of money makes something crazy happen

Comment

• Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Yea I agree it's not an ideal fit, but I really wouldn't be too surprised if a good basketball program and ton of money makes something crazy happen
                        Realignment is unpredictable

However, the Big East - which was blown apart because of the issues surrounding not just football but public schools, schools with low academic standards, etc. - taking a school like Wichita would be potentially the biggest bombshell move in all of the realignment that has taken place.

Comment

• The Schools with a say in the Big East are still Villanova, St Johns, Providence, Georgetown and Seton Hall, and maybe UConn again. I don't see any reason why they would want Wichita State with them, yes Creighton turned out great for the conference, but as mentioned earlier Wichita doesn't check hardly any of the boxes that Creighton did for the Big East.

If the Big East adds teams you would think they would look at Dayton, St. Joesph's, or Loyola
                          Last edited by achrist70; 09-07-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                            The Schools with a say in the Big East are still Villanova, St Johns, Providence, Georgetown and Seton Hall, and maybe UConn again. I don't see any reason why they would want Wichita State with them, yes Creighton turned out great for the conference, but as mentioned earlier Wichita doesn't check hardly any of the boxes that Creighton did for the Big East.

If the Big East adds teams you would think they would look at Dayton, St. Joesph's, or Loyola
                            I don't think Loyola is super close to being an addition unless they think that the Chicago market is somehow going to flood open with a school the size of Loyola.

They had the run to the Final Four with Porter and then a handful of transfers along with Krutwig playing about 15 levels above his recruiting profile during his career. The only offers he had out of HS (that can be confirmed by multiple sites) were Loyola, UAB and Vermont. This past season they had a decent run again, however, now the coach from that team is gone as well as the star players (most notably Krutwig).

Loyola is certainly a radar team, but I think the Big East would want to see a few more seasons out of them before they make a decision.on them. Programs like Dayton, VCU, St Joes, etc. have longer histories of recruiting higher-end talent and maintaining. If they do it for another full recruiting cycle maybe they get a call.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

I don't think Loyola is super close to being an addition unless they think that the Chicago market is somehow going to flood open with a school the size of Loyola.

They had the run to the Final Four with Porter and then a handful of transfers along with Krutwig playing about 15 levels above his recruiting profile during his career. The only offers he had out of HS (that can be confirmed by multiple sites) were Loyola, UAB and Vermont. This past season they had a decent run again, however, now the coach from that team is gone as well as the star players (most notably Krutwig).

Loyola is certainly a radar team, but I think the Big East would want to see a few more seasons out of them before they make a decision.on them. Programs like Dayton, VCU, St Joes, etc. have longer histories of recruiting higher-end talent and maintaining. If they do it for another full recruiting cycle maybe they get a call.
                              The Big East has DePaul in the Chicago market already and Marquette just up the road in Milwaukee. Highly doubt Loyola would even tempt them. Something in Michigan, Western PA, Virginia would probably be ahead of them in interest. Even the Billikens in St. Louis or St. Thomas in the Twin Cities (in a few years) if they're looking midwest, not that that has ever been their interest-they've always been East Coast focused (thus the name).

Comment

• Well, AAC officially getting decimated. 2 more years and Houston, Cincinnati and UCF are gone. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out and how it'll effect other conferences.

BYU has announced that the Cougars along with Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF will join the Big 12 during the 2023-24 season, per release.

Comment

Working...
                                X