WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
    I'm not saying it's 100% required, but I think it's helpful to have a demographically diverse coaching staff. All players on the team should have someone they can go to who might understand what they are dealing with.

Again, I think you go out and get the best coach you can --- but if our staff looks like the four members of a barbershop quartet, you know it will be used against us in recruiting.
    This right here. You put it much more gracefully that I could think to. This absolutely has to be a minority hire.
    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

This right here. You put it much more gracefully that I could think to. This absolutely has to be a minority hire.
      Only half-joking here, but if Kwadzo is unlikely for the reasons written above does anyone know what Deon Mitchell is up to these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Ah. Yeah. Valid point. Jordan Ashton is in coaching.

Almost think this will be a non-uni hire. But who knows

Comment

• I mean if we're throwing out former players with no recruiting background (to my knowledge anyway), but would be great in a mentorship role - my vote goes to Marvin Singleton. But again, I think this position needs to be filled by someone with coaching and recruiting experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by unipanthers8907 View Post
            I mean if we're throwing out former players with no recruiting background (to my knowledge anyway), but would be great in a mentorship role - my vote goes to Marvin Singleton. But again, I think this position needs to be filled by someone with coaching and recruiting experience.
            People are missing this.

Hiring a former player from a certain area/background just for the sake of doing so is really dumb. I mean REALLY dumb.

Kwadzo at least has coaching experience, and experience working in player development with the Wovles. He still has zero experience in college or recruiting.

There is no indication that Singleton is doing anything basketball related at all.

Deon has been a Technical Recruiter/Manager for a staffing company in Austin, Texas for 3 years now. Hiring him to coach because he is from a different recruiting ground than Iowa, and played here, is silly.

EDIT - found Marvin on LinkedIn
            He is the Footwear Team Lead at a Dick's store in the MSP area. He goeced one season as an assistant at Totino-Grace HS in Minneapolis before that. And before that was a mix of trying to play pro basketball, an intern at Mudd, and I'm guessing other smaller stuff to make money. Not exactly a D1 assistant resume, at least not at the level UNI is/wants to be.

Last edited by clenz; 04-12-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Marvin is an assistant coach at Totino Grace, who I believe won a state title. I think he is also coaching in the AAU ranks

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

People are missing this.

Hiring a former player from a certain area/background just for the sake of doing so is really dumb. I mean REALLY dumb.

Kwadzo at least has coaching experience, and experience working in player development with the Wovles. He still has zero experience in college or recruiting.

There is no indication that Singleton is doing anything basketball related at all.

Deon has been a Technical Recruiter/Manager for a staffing company in Austin, Texas for 3 years now. Hiring him to coach because he is from a different recruiting ground than Iowa, and played here, is silly.

EDIT - found Marvin on LinkedIn
                He is the Footwear Team Lead at a Dick's store in the MSP area. He goeced one season as an assistant at Totino-Grace HS in Minneapolis before that. And before that was a mix of trying to play pro basketball, an intern at Mudd, and I'm guessing other smaller stuff to make money. Not exactly a D1 assistant resume, at least not at the level UNI is/wants to be.

I simply asked, in a half-joking manner, what Deon was up to these days.

Thanks for taking the time to find out, but you don't have to have so many drops of general abrasiveness with your morning coffee

Comment

• Why not go get somebody from Michigan? Pair that recent commitment with this to try to create some momentum there.

The entire roster was from one of two states last year; that has to change. Someone with Minnesota ties would make sense too, but I'd like to think the current guys can keep that open. They still have Sonnen from there.

Wisconsin would make sense too as that pipeline has dried up. Same with Texas.
                  Yeah, a D+ effort out of me on the day I created the name for this account. I didn't think I would use this account more than once.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

I simply asked, in a half-joking manner, what Deon was up to these days.

Thanks for taking the time to find out, but you don't have to have so many drops of general abrasiveness with your morning coffee
                    I don't drink coffee.

If that's the case though

Let's go see what Carlton Reed, Travis Brown, Eric Coleman, John Little, Michael Williams, etc. are up too and can come fill a coaching role.

Comment

• How about hiring a top recruits Dad or brother?

Comment

• Lets see if Michael Jordan has any interest

Comment

• Originally posted by enkamania View Post
                          How about hiring a top recruits Dad or brother?
                          Honestly, a better option than hiring someone just because they played here and grew up in a "real" city and not in rural Iowa.

Comment

• Originally posted by enkamania View Post
                            How about hiring a top recruits Dad or brother?
                            Maybe Noah Carter’s dad is looking for a job?

Comment

Honestly, a better option than hiring someone just because they played here and grew up in a "real" city and not in rural Iowa.
                              True. And most posts here are joking. But also virtually all our hires are former players so not like there's no precedent

Comment

I don't drink coffee.

If that's the case though

Let's go see what Carlton Reed, Travis Brown, Eric Coleman, John Little, Michael Williams, etc. are up too and can come fill a coaching role.
                                Maybe you should start drinking coffee...

Getting back on track though, are there any preliminary, serious names that we are or could be linked to?

Comment

Working...
                                X