WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Also the "Bowen Born was our PG, AJ really isnt a PG"
    That's not necessarily an inaccurate statement. Bowen when he was in there, which especially in the later parts of the year was 80-90% of the time, he was running the point more often than not.

Comment

The fact is AJ would probably be the best player they have had in recent memory
      I love AJ and think you could say he's better than 95% of their most recent players. But I don't think I could definitively put him at the top with guys like Haliburton, Brockington and Hunter in the mix. There's a lot of pro $$$ to be made by those 4 and Haliburton is already making good on his.

Comment

• Reading their message board, it is humorous to me how many posters are confident he would transfer to ISU because he wants to play for his dad, ignoring the fact he did that already for three years at UNI.

Comment

• Originally posted by QCPanther05 View Post
          For everyone saying the sky is falling because of NIL and the portal, take a breath. Let the market work itself out. This is brand new. Remember that the portal isn’t a one way street, just sucking midmajor stars into P5 schools. There will actually be more transfers “down” to midmajors from P5s than the reverse. And UNI will benefit from that. Midmajor players transfer up because they want to be on the big stage, but it will be the rare case that they will actually have meaningful success there. Guys will figure that out in a couple cycles and stay put. It will just take time.

But there will always be P5 players looking to transfer because of playing time. For every midmajor to P5 transfer, someone will be transferring down to make room for them. We’re going to get guys from P5 schools if we remain competitive and if the league is good. But, and this is where the rub is, UNI needs to go after those guys with as much zeal as they go after Cedar Falls High kids (by far my biggest gripe). Limiting our recruiting to the cedar valley is just not going to cut it anymore and it’s frankly embarrassing. Midmajors can benefit from this too. We can get those 3 star recruits who just want to play ball but can’t get on the floor at their P5. We just have to go after them.
          yeah like holy **** calm down people lol

We've largely kept our roster because of our culture with 2 notable exceptions with 1 being an extraordinary circumstance we aren't likely to see often. We and other mid majors will adapt.

I'm all for what benefits player freedom, and if it at the end of the day hurts us some times, than so be it.

Comment

I didnt read all the posts but there were probably 10+ where it was being discussed. That is 10+ too many.

The fact is AJ would probably be the best player they have had in recent memory and they view him as a role player. Its laughable
            As an ISU fan I'd be thrilled if we got him.

But we had a 1st team All Big 12 player this year in Brockington, who scored 17 PPG on good shooting numbers in maybe the worst offense I've ever seen. He also got 7 RPG. I wouldn't expect AJ to have that kind of season at ISU but getting him would be huge.

Comment

• Iowa State fans wanting to pick AJ after flooding the earth with tears over Hunter and how unfair it is

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                Iowa State fans wanting to pick AJ after flooding the earth with tears over Hunter and how unfair it is
                But thats different!! Duh!!

Comment

• I think we're going to have to change how we think as fans. Going forward, being a college fan is much more like being a fan of a minor league professional team. You support the club, but from year to year you don't really know what the roster is going to look like. There will always be some familiar faces, but sometimes the the better players will move up, or even laterally to a rival team.

Cuts aren't made as ruthlessly as in the minors, but they will also happen.

Comment

• Full transparency; I dont think anyone here is mad at AJ. He was here for 4 years, that was always the best case scenario. It is ISU we are annoyed with.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                      Iowa State fans wanting to pick AJ after flooding the earth with tears over Hunter and how unfair it is
                      Yeah that's annoying....but every fan base is guilty of that.

When you're on the receiving end you love it. When you're losing guys the system sucks.
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• I think at the end of the day Green turns pro. It's the first words he wrote. Yes, he'll most likely have to go undrafted and start in the G League, but he will still make bank and gain valuable experience far more so than compared to playing at any school.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                          I think at the end of the day Green turns pro. It's the first words he wrote. Yes, he'll most likely have to go undrafted and start in the G League, but he will still make bank and gain valuable experience far more so than compared to playing at any school.
                          I think that's the most likely scenario as well.

If he got a big NIL offer, maybe he transfers and puts some serious money in his bank account before possibly spending a season prepping for the NBA in the G League.

If he doesn't like the sound of his NBA feedback and does not have a really good transfer prospect (whatever that definition for him may be), he laces them up at UNI again. Hoping for that one.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

If he got a big NIL offer, maybe he transfers and puts some serious money in his bank account before possibly spending a season prepping for the NBA in the G League.

If he doesn't like the sound of his NBA feedback and does not have a really good transfer prospect (whatever that definition for him may be), he laces them up at UNI again. Hoping for that one.
                            I also would be glad to have 14 minutes a night out of Phyfe. We don't need some 10th guy from the p6. We're too proud to beg. Austin will make the difference between 4th place and only needing three in a row compared to 5th place and needing the next to impossible to happen just to get a damn sniff.

Comment

• The “P5 guys transfer down too” argument doesn’t hold water with me. The best of our guys transfer up. The worst of their guys transfer down. It isn’t an even exchange.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

If I had to bet, I’d bet the NIL offer. Right now it’s Wild West, with no market value having been set. There are insane amounts of cash being thrown around for no guaranteed return, at least in football. Upper level P6 in basketball is probably the same, at least to an extent. AJ will be a valuable enough “property” that someone may well throw him a ridiculous offer he can’t refuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X