WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Right.. Which is why for lack a better word "wasting" a scholarship on him is frustrating as a fan. Fringe D1/MVC player who almost certainly would have walked on.

Regarding next year. (Assuming Phyfe isnt playing), post is a big hole. I'm sorry but we can't claim to being trying to compete and start Betz again. Whether that is Rubin? I am not sure. I still have some hope that Henry develops into the player I thought he could be but hasn't happened yet.

Also will be interesting to see how the minutes go with Heise back. Duax obviously still needs his.

Trey I still have high hopes for but at the same time, if we are trying to compete, seems like a good candidate for a role reduction unless there is a big improvement. (which is certainly possible)

And obviously excited to see how a very highly touted class fits in. Taylor seems like Born 2.0

"Should" be a very deep team
    Other than the size comparison I don't think Born and Taylor are similar players.
    RJ is a classic pg who pressures the defense with his ball handling and he distributs the ball very well. His scoring comes more organically from midrange jumpers and at the foul line. Bowen is a scoring pg. He hunts his shot and obviously the 3 ball is a big part of his game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Duax's dad played football here and he's wanted to play at UNI for literally his entire life.
      His mother went to UNI as well. I’m not saying it’s likely he leaves. I’m saying it’s likely he’ll be contacted by other schools to gauge interest. This whole thing is a free for all.

Comment

Duax's dad played football here and he's wanted to play at UNI for literally his entire life.
        Outside of Born, Duax likely has the most polished offensive game of any returning player. As of right now, he's the only guy who can put it on the floor and get to the paint. If his shot develops at all during the offseason, he should be 2nd option immediately next year along with being the best defender on the team.

Assuming Phyfe is back and healthy, I would guess he's the starter and a lineup with him, Born, Campbell, Heise and Duax could be quite good. Unfortunately you probably have to play Tytan with Austin because neither Tytan or Cole are a threat outside of 8 feet right now. It's easy to say this team will be a threat next year, but there are potentially 5 new pieces to integrate and figure out how they fit together.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangetennis View Post

Other than the size comparison I don't think Born and Taylor are similar players.
          RJ is a classic pg who pressures the defense with his ball handling and he distributs the ball very well. His scoring comes more organically from midrange jumpers and at the foul line. Bowen is a scoring pg. He hunts his shot and obviously the 3 ball is a big part of his game.
          As posted in the Bradley game thread, Bowen is being actively encouraged to enter the transfer portal.

Comment

I believe he committed here fairly early too. If I remember right, he didn't have any higher offers when he committed, but was getting plenty of looks from bigger schools.
            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

As posted in the Bradley game thread, Bowen is being actively encouraged to enter the transfer portal.
              Who is actively encouraging Bowen to enter the portal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post

Turds. The answer is turds.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

His mother went to UNI as well. I’m not saying it’s likely he leaves. I’m saying it’s likely he’ll be contacted by other schools to gauge interest. This whole thing is a free for all.
                  I think guys are wisening up to the fact that transferring not it’s all it’s crack up to be. I think the transfer portal will be less of a threat once kids catch on that it rarely works out for the better. The numbers will eventually bear that out, but there just isn’t enough data yet to strongly show it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

So thats all you are going to say? lol

Is he telling them to f off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post

I'll say it... The A$$ clowns....
                      Last edited by BrockLesnar; 03-04-2023, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• From Born's perspective I think it would make more sense to give it another year when expectations are higher of you being the best player on a good team and then take that extra year given to you to figure out what your top priorities going forward are.

That being said any player that gets approached by different teams for whatever reason offering you an opportunity that makes sense, I'm not going to begrudge people for exploring those opportunities. I also think QC is right where we're going to start seeing a balancing out where players realize lateral and slight movements aren't always the best or most opportune moves so while the movement may be higher than in the past it will start to subdue. And our culture can help to maintain poaching.

We certainly are going to have some work integrating everyone who comes back and who's re entering the line up. Heise was a 35 minute guy on our championship team, and Duax was a 30+ minute guy this year. Guys are still going to want to eat even if we can get some buy in on sacrificing going forward. Even if Betz/Daniel/Peksari minutes are out there's still going to be so much more coming in that you have to account for that's going to create complexities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Username View Post
                          From Born's perspective I think it would make more sense to give it another year when expectations are higher of you being the best player on a good team and then take that extra year given to you to figure out what your top priorities going forward are.

That being said any player that gets approached by different teams for whatever reason offering you an opportunity that makes sense, I'm not going to begrudge people for exploring those opportunities. I also think QC is right where we're going to start seeing a balancing out where players realize lateral and slight movements aren't always the best or most opportune moves so while the movement may be higher than in the past it will start to subdue. And our culture can help to maintain poaching.

We certainly are going to have some work integrating everyone who comes back and who's re entering the line up. Heise was a 35 minute guy on our championship team, and Duax was a 30+ minute guy this year. Guys are still going to want to eat even if we can get some buy in on sacrificing going forward. Even if Betz/Daniel/Peksari minutes are out there's still going to be so much more coming in that you have to account for that's going to create complexities.
                          He has a good chance at a pro career in Europe. I know with the war over there it is unsettling, but hopefully it can workout. Perhaps, a G league team at least gives him a tryout too.

Comment

• We're still a WIP in the post, but Rubin and more improvement from Betz and Henry should help. Andersen has now developed enough to play in the post. He really gained a ton of experience this past season. If Anderson gets better at the foul line and beyond the arc he will be in the First team 2024 conversation.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post
                              I'll say it... The A$$ clowns....
                              That's troubling to hear as I think Born would give that some very serious consideration. I don't follow ISU much at all but I think Born fills a few ISU needs - i.e. experienced PG play, outside shooting, and FT shooting. Of course, both of Born's parents are ISU alums, Waukee is relatively nearby, play in a high-major D1 conference and competition, and the ISU NIL likely exceeds UNI's.

We have quite a bit to sell too though. We'll be talented, deep, and experienced - a top contender for the MVC title, especially if Phyfe plays. I'm sure he's made great relationships here at UNI and he strikes me as a loyal and level-headed kid.

I have a bad feeling Born might just take ISU up on the offer though, if true. We'll see (absolutely no inside knowledge, speculation only).

Comment

• I don't think there is an offer from Iowa State to Born, pretty sure it's just wishful thinking by the online crowd. And not even a unanimous wishful thinking like AJ was, I even saw one take that was "Born is 3rd or 4th on my UNI mock draft."

Which, **** these big school money grubbing mother ****ers anyways for having this conversation in such a cavalier manner in the first place, they don't know how lucky they got with all the recent conference moving...but I don't think I disagree with that take. Bowen's a below average defender in the MVC already (just, statistically, he is), he'd be about as useful on that side of the ball as traffic cones in the Big 12. If I'm Iowa State, I'd rather have Tytan or Duax as a spark on either side of the ball going forward.

Now, we're a different story, and I'm more than happy to have Born as our first option. Different schools at different levels have different needs, night in night out. Born's talent level was always there in high school, everyone knew he'd be one hell of a shooter, he's just too short to do well in higher conferences. None of that has changed. Born is definitely more likely to leave than AJ ever was, but I also think he's much less likely to get that big offer. At least, that's what I'm thinking with what we know now.

Side note,

ISU NIL likely exceeds UNI's.
                                I don't think you need to put "likely," it most certainly does lol.
                                Last edited by sevelev711; 03-05-2023, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X