WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we can get a split at the 5 spot of Phyfe, Hutson, and then Betz/Henry in some kind of split where we see

Huston 15-20
    Phyfe - 10-15
    Henry - 5-10
    Betz - 5-10

We should be in pretty damn good shape.

Any minutes from Phyfe are going to be completely game-changing. We saw it last season. We got maybe 13 minutes from him, but it made a world of difference.

If we can get it to where Phyfe and Hutson can run 30-35 of those minutes we are in even better shape.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
      If we can get a split at the 5 spot of Phyfe, Hutson, and then Betz/Henry in some kind of split where we see

Huston 15-20
      Phyfe - 10-15
      Henry - 5-10
      Betz - 5-10

We should be in pretty damn good shape.

Any minutes from Phyfe are going to be completely game-changing. We saw it last season. We got maybe 13 minutes from him, but it made a world of difference.

If we can get it to where Phyfe and Hutson can run 30-35 of those minutes we are in even better shape.
      I think this is pretty accurate based on what we know today. If Phyfe can come back to be Phyfe pre-COVID, I think you see Phyfe at 20 minutes with Huston getting 10-15 and rotating based on matchups with Cole and James. James still brings the post position away from the basket so he still has a place in the rotation pulling the 5 out to the 3pt line. Cole still has upside and will continue to improve (and will improve with Phyfe in practice).
      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• I might be in the minority, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tytan lose some minutes - especially if Phyfe can pull ~10 min/game. I really struggle with Tytan, I understand that he played out of position quite a bit last season, but he is just so inconsistent. He looks like a 2nd Team All Valley guy one night, then a guy who shouldn't see more than a handful of minutes the next night. He's a great kid and a hell of a teammate, but I think adding Hutson, Pock and Rubin, plus possibly getting Phyfe back will pull his minutes down. I'm sure he gets his minutes early on, but as the young guys/newcomers get their footing, I expect him to be in the 15-20 minute range. Regardless, I hope he spends all offseason in the weight room and putting up shots.
        To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• yes almost definitely Phyfe will have lower minutes this would be a best case scenario. I think it would be a deadly combo with a distributer like RJ and a scorer like Born but I think it leaves us very vulnerable on the defensive end height wise. I also really want to give RJ more time but with Bowen still with us I just can't see him getting loads of minutes as a freshmen.
          Last edited by PantherGuy4LIFE; 04-03-2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gboom23 View Post
            That seems like a pretty fair starting point with what we know right now. I would put Phyfe in the 8-10 range, but that’s a total guess and I don’t even know if any knows where that’s going to land. I could see Betz/Henry still getting some of that extra big-man time, and it could be a situation where one of them plays depending on the matchup. Some games Henry will play and Betz sits, some vice versa.

I think Born would be better in the 25-30 range than the 30-35 range, and that may give RJ Taylor a chance to see some more time. Is it possible they see time together?

Overall, having depth will be a much welcomed change compared to this past year.
            I'd stay away from two small guards. It's better to pair them with big ones. Born/Heise, Taylor/Campbell etc. It's tougher for Taylor/Born to score with an opponent of 6' 4" on them.
            Last edited by BrockLesnar; 04-03-2023, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Yes but I can see Jake making a last second play involving an RJ assist to Bowen. U know assuming we would have the last shot, but other than that I don't see them playing on the court at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherGuy4LIFE View Post
                Minutes:
                Assuming we lose nobody to the transfer portal and Phyfe is healthy. You pretty much have to play Wes Rubin and Kyle Pock or risk losing them to the portal, especially Rubin. It is hard to take away minutes from any of these players which honestly is a great problem to have. All in all this could be our season.
                Jacob Hutson-15
                Austin Phyfe-15
                James Betz-0
                Cole Henry-0
                Chase Courbat-0
                Titan Anderson-25
                Wes Rubin-10
                Micheal Duax-25
                Kyle Pock-10
                Landon Wolf-15
                Nate Heise-25
                Ege Peksari-0
                Trey Campbell-20
                Bowen Born-30
                RJ Taylor-10
                Drew Daniel-0
                Derek Krogmann-0
                Hunter Jacobson-0
                Charlie Miller-0
                Looks pretty good. Everyone better shoot a lot of free throws this off-season. There's going to be a battle for minutes.
                So much depends on Phyfe's health.
                In 2020, Austin's best contributing year, he was the #-16 player in the nation in eFG%.
                In 2021, he was the #-168 player in the nation in eFG%, which is still really good.
                If he is healthy and fully back, I think he'll have more than 15 minutes. If not, then lower and Hutson higher. Together, they add to 35-40 minutes, I would think.
                Also, keep in mind that Bowen played most of the year with a sore leg. With another year of experience and healthy, really should keep around 30. And perhaps higher once we hit the survive-and-advance part of the season up to 35 minutes.
                I agree on Tytan (it's with a y) and Duax keeping a lot of minutes. Both have quickness for D, rebounding, and scoring.

Titan Anderson-25
                Micheal Duax-25
                Nate Heise-25
                Landon Wolf-15
                Wes Rubin-10
                Kyle Pock-10
                Ege Peksari-0
                Trey Campbell-20
                ​
                All those guys will be competing for positions 2-4. Some more on the 2 side of things like Trey and Ege, but...
                Anyway - How long 'till November???

Comment

• There will be match ups where we can play them together, and maybe if we are forced to press we can.

Comment

• I agree Sivert If we can as a team make 80% of our free throws or more we will be exponentially better.

Comment

• I feel like if we bring in that 6'10 dude from North Texas we may finally have a tall team for a change.

Comment

• BoRn AnD HeIsE lEaViNg FoR sUrE aNd EgE FoR sUrE 10000000% GoInG bAck To TuRKeY

https://twitter.com/Coach_Gameli/sta...795015681?s=20

Comment

• Who are the two on the couch closest to the camera? Awesome picture and love to see the team together like that.
                          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                            Who are the two on the couch closest to the camera? Awesome picture and love to see the team together like that.
                            Ike is an assistant and then it appears to be a child lol

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                              BoRn AnD HeIsE lEaViNg FoR sUrE aNd EgE FoR sUrE 10000000% GoInG bAck To TuRKeY

https://twitter.com/Coach_Gameli/sta...795015681?s=20
                              My first thought ... clearly somewhere in the upper Midwest ("No shoes inside, guys."). And, they're gonna need a lot more chips.
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherGuy4LIFE View Post
                                Minutes:
                                Assuming we lose nobody to the transfer portal and Phyfe is healthy. You pretty much have to play Wes Rubin and Kyle Pock or risk losing them to the portal, especially Rubin. It is hard to take away minutes from any of these players which honestly is a great problem to have. All in all this could be our season.

Jacob Hutson-15
                                Austin Phyfe-15
                                James Betz-0
                                Cole Henry-0
                                Chase Courbat-0
                                Tytan Anderson-25
                                Wes Rubin-10
                                Micheal Duax-25
                                Kyle Pock-10
                                Landon Wolf-15
                                Nate Heise-25
                                Ege Peksari-0
                                Trey Campbell-20
                                Bowen Born-30
                                RJ Taylor-10
                                Drew Daniel-0
                                Derek Krogmann-0
                                Hunter Jacobson-0
                                Charlie Miller-0
                                If Austin retires and Peksari returns to Turkey it changes some.

Only a guess:

Born
                                Campbell
                                Heise
                                Duax
                                Anderson

Hutson
                                Taylor
                                Wolf
                                Pock
                                Rubin

Betz
                                Henry
                                Courbat
                                Daniel
                                Krogman
                                Miller
                                Jacobson

A lot better if Austin can play. Hope Peksari returns too.
                                Last edited by BrockLesnar; 04-04-2023, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X