WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assistant Coach Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
    Bringing up Bobbi Petersen just proves this point more, Bobbi took over a highly successful program from Iradge Ahrabi-Fard and maintained it well. This is the same as Coach Farley, yes Mike Dubar never made the playoffs in the four years before Farley but was never worse than 7-4 and we all know what T.A. did at UNI. It's easier to be successful at a program with great tradition. There are only two coaches in UNI history with higher winning percentages Melvin Fritzell who was the coach in 1933 and L.L. Mendenhall who was the coach in 1922-24. I think that along with the fact that Jacobson has had success against Power 5 programs is why people think he is better coach than Farley.

I also think what Ryan Jacobs has done with our softball program has been impressive.

I agree with you on Dave McCuskey, he is a forgotten wrestling legend.

As for all time UNI coaches I don't think that Chris Bucknam is mentioned enough.
    McCuskey, Patten, Bucknam (a fun course instructor, btw), Mudra.

Mudra took over a program that had been D-II not long before he got to UNI and not very successful. UNI football became a I-AA power and contender under him.

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Don Briggs

Comment

• Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
        I think that along with the fact that Jacobson has had success against Power 5 programs is why people think he is better coach than Farley.
        I don't know which is the better coach, I know neither has done much lately to my satisfaction, and yes I remember winning the MVC regular season two years year. But I would point out that Farley has had quite a bit of success against power 5 programs, just not wins against #1 teams. Also the whole argument about playing at different levels is negated when you consider half the teams in the MVFC would be in the top half of FBS football if the whole conference suddenly played a complete FBS schedule. You know, where half the games are at home. Jacobson doesn't have to play Duke or Gonzaga every year with them being wholly vested in beating UNI. Farley has to play the best team in the history of FCS football every year and is always competitive against them, with them knowing UNI is likely their biggest obstacle to another NC most years. NDSU would be top 15% of FBS football every year. It's a little like playing in the PAC10 in the 60's and 70's and never winning the conference or making the NCAA tourney because, UCLA.

Like Fan, I didn't see the game yesterday, I never know until game day if UNI games will be on my tv package. I do know there are 4-5 ESPN channels in my package along with several other all sports channels. These channels broadcast (or stream or whatever) thousands of sporting events each month that I have absolutely no interest in. As a matter of principal I will not pay an additional fee to gain access to a 5th or 6th ESPN channel in order to watch sporting events (UNI) that I am interested in. I watched most UNI football games this year on Chicago Sports, but the UNI athletics site always said the games were only on ESPN+, so the AD doesn't even bother to find out if the games will be televised and pass that along to fans.

Here are my expectations for UNI athletics: Football - make the FCS playoffs every year and advance to at least the final 8, Basketball - make the NCAA tourney 50% of years and then a lot depends on how terrible the seed is, but usually win the first round game and occasionally the second round game, Volleyball - make the NCAA tourney most years and advance to the sweet 16 most years, Wrestling - top 15 finish at NCAA tournament.

Those are some pretty high expectations for a little school with a very limited budget like UNI, but they are things we have done regularly in the past. I'm leaving out a lot of sports because trying to follow them is just too much work. I will always support and cheer on all UNI teams regardless of how close they come to my expectations.

GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• Stan Sherriff. Without him and his wild vision for a Dome, UNI is not what it is today

Comment

• Originally posted by Khan4Cats View Post
            Stan Sherriff. Without him and his wild vision for a Dome, UNI is not what it is today
            Scroll down near the bottom of the page to the photo of the dedication ... Sheriff has a Quint from "Jaws" vibe going ...

Click here for a Brief Chronology of the UNI-Dome Introduction By the late 1960s, students, faculty, and administrators at the University of Northern Iowa understood that the university needed to improve both its athletics facilities and its performing arts facilities. The building now known as the UNI-Dome can be seen as a result of both of these perceived needs. On one hand,
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post

Had this same issue at first too. If you scroll up on the same page you may notice that your username has been auto-filled into a spot for an email change (and subsequent confirmation of "new email"). I think I either deleted everything from those spaces or just re-entered my current email in both and it worked.
              Can confirm this worked, thanks!

Fun fact, the length of this thread went from ten pages to eight after the change haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                I don't know which is the better coach, I know neither has done much lately to my satisfaction, and yes I remember winning the MVC regular season two years year. But I would point out that Farley has had quite a bit of success against power 5 programs, just not wins against #1 teams. Also the whole argument about playing at different levels is negated when you consider half the teams in the MVFC would be in the top half of FBS football if the whole conference suddenly played a complete FBS schedule. You know, where half the games are at home. Jacobson doesn't have to play Duke or Gonzaga every year with them being wholly vested in beating UNI. Farley has to play the best team in the history of FCS football every year and is always competitive against them, with them knowing UNI is likely their biggest obstacle to another NC most years. NDSU would be top 15% of FBS football every year. It's a little like playing in the PAC10 in the 60's and 70's and never winning the conference or making the NCAA tourney because, UCLA.

Like Fan, I didn't see the game yesterday, I never know until game day if UNI games will be on my tv package. I do know there are 4-5 ESPN channels in my package along with several other all sports channels. These channels broadcast (or stream or whatever) thousands of sporting events each month that I have absolutely no interest in. As a matter of principal I will not pay an additional fee to gain access to a 5th or 6th ESPN channel in order to watch sporting events (UNI) that I am interested in. I watched most UNI football games this year on Chicago Sports, but the UNI athletics site always said the games were only on ESPN+, so the AD doesn't even bother to find out if the games will be televised and pass that along to fans.

Here are my expectations for UNI athletics: Football - make the FCS playoffs every year and advance to at least the final 8, Basketball - make the NCAA tourney 50% of years and then a lot depends on how terrible the seed is, but usually win the first round game and occasionally the second round game, Volleyball - make the NCAA tourney most years and advance to the sweet 16 most years, Wrestling - top 15 finish at NCAA tournament.

Those are some pretty high expectations for a little school with a very limited budget like UNI, but they are things we have done regularly in the past. I'm leaving out a lot of sports because trying to follow them is just too much work. I will always support and cheer on all UNI teams regardless of how close they come to my expectations.
                I respect the hell out of you Gonzo but your expectations are out of whack. You're basically asking every program that you follow to have the best years in program history on a regular basis, they're things we haven't done on a regular basis

Football has been the final 8 three times in the last 13 years (2011, 2015, 2019)

Men's Basketball has won two games in the tournament once but has won at least one in the last 3 appearances (2010, 2015, 2016) and has won a game in 4 of 8 all time appearances which, frankly, 8 other teams in our league would kill for.

Volleyball has been to the Sweet 16 twice and it's getting to be a long time ago (1999 and 2001)

Wrestling has finished in the Top 15 once since 1997 (15th in 2014)

The key for us going forward is finding more money. We convince ourselves that it's so great to be the 'school that always does more with less' but wouldn't it be great to see what our staffs could do if they had the most money in the league? That's why it's so important to join the PSC, support the league TV contracts, buy tickets, spread the word on what a great place UNI is and how great it could be with more people buying in.
                #MACtion

Comment

• So, any updates on what is happening with our assistant coach opening? I'm actually a bit surprised it's gone on for this long with no word.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Scroll down near the bottom of the page to the photo of the dedication ... Sheriff has a Quint from "Jaws" vibe going ...

https://scua.library.uni.edu/univers...ories/uni-dome
                    Yes, but his Quint vibe has NOTHING on that suit coat that T. Wayne Davis in the 5th picture down.

Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 04-15-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post
                      So, any updates on what is happening with our assistant coach opening? I'm actually a bit surprised it's gone on for this long with no word.
                      Gotta let the P6 staffs fill up first.
                      #MACtion

Comment

• [QUOTE=ronfitch;n707849]

This checks out.

Comment

• [QUOTE=A Fan In Lean Years;n707896]

Yes, but his Quint vibe has NOTHING on that suit coat that T. Wayne Davis in the 5th picture down.

We can agree on that! Looks like he should be on a lot selling Gremlins and El Caminos

Comment

• Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

If you’re familiar with the movie Jaws, that sport coat looks like the loud, 70s stuff worn by the town’s mayor.

Comment

• That coat looks like a QR code, but that was a little before their time. Now if you put his coat with Stan's pants you have got one snazzy outfit.
                              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

If you’re familiar with the movie Jaws, that sport coat looks like the loud, 70s stuff worn by the town’s mayor.
                                Sadly, yes, I am familiar with it. I was so captivated by the film as a teen that I saw it 14 times in the theater! I kid you not.

Comment

Working...
                                X