WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Proposed NCAA MBB Rules Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Proposed NCAA MBB Rules Changes

2021 Proposed NCAA MBB Rules Changes
    1. Anti-Flopping. Class B technical foul with no warning.
    2. Technology. In game stats and video can be used by coaches in game. Decided and implemented by conferences in conference play.
    3. Foul-Out change for 2022 NIT. 6 fouls in a game or 4 in a half and you’re out.
    4. Merging Called Time Out with Media Time out.
    5. Optional tenths of second displayed on shot clocks. Up to the facility.

I'm all for #1 if it's blatantly obvious. #4 seems logical, I thought they did something with this a couple years ago? #5 is a no brainer if schools want to do it. I would think it'll take a long time before all smaller schools do it, considering the extra cost for what's really just a minimal benefit. The other two, meh.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
      I'm all for #1 if it's blatantly obvious. #4 seems logical, I thought they did something with this a couple years ago? #5 is a no brainer if schools want to do it. I would think it'll take a long time before all smaller schools do it, considering the extra cost for what's really just a minimal benefit. The other two, meh.
      #5 for me seems like asking for the game to take longer. "Let's review to make sure the shot clock started on time"

In theory it shouldn't make any difference but........

Comment

Anti-flopping sounds great but it has been warned and then a technical for a while and it doesn’t get called. The problem is real time identifying whether it was block or charge just seems really hard. Changing the consequences will do nothing to change that.
        Better to make it a booth review for the ref a the table to do and apply at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
          Anti-flopping sounds great but it has been warned and then a technical for a while and it doesn’t get called. The problem is real time identifying whether it was block or charge just seems really hard. Changing the consequences will do nothing to change that.
          Better to make it a booth review for the ref a the table to do and apply at that point.
          I agree. This is way to subjective for the on court officials and it either leads to it never getting called or bad calls getting made.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

In fencing, the foils have pressure sensors to record touches.
            So just make a pressure pad the guys wear on their chest. And it records pressure and change in velocity, so then the refs can calculate whether the pressure applied was sufficient to cause the movement the defensive player experienced.

Comment

I don't like any of them. You're almost assuming officials can't make judgements. What's worse is the officials might start relying on technology to make tough calls. The oh well, the re-play will bail me out mentality will take over.

Comment

Without moving the rims up to 15 feet, any other change is ancillary and insignificant.

Anyone know WHY they initially picked 10 feet at the height? The answer will surprise you, given what we know today.
                Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 05-18-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Wasn't it because that was how high Naismith was able to put them up in his gym, there was a track or something above

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                    Wasn't it because that was how high Naismith was able to put them up in his gym, there was a track or something above
                    Not what I heard, but my info. could be urban legend too.

Edit: Upon reading more, it does look like it was more arbitrary than deliberate.

Either way, I still call for the 15 foot rim.
                    Last edited by A Fan In Lean Years; 05-18-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

Edit: Upon reading more, it does look like it was more arbitrary than deliberate.

Yeah....that's not gonna happen.

Comment

Ok, and then maybe football with no offensive linemen and wrestling with no touching your opponent with the palms of your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

Ok, and then maybe football with no offensive linemen and wrestling with no touching your opponent with the palms of your hands.
                          I just get tired of dunk after dunk after dunk in the NBA. Not even a sport any longer.

Comment

I just get tired of dunk after dunk after dunk in the NBA. Not even a sport any longer.
                            That’s because 6’3 isn’t considered a tall player anymore. Nor are the 6’7 players still weighing in at 180lbs. Athletes and training methods have evolved dramatically. Watching guys take it to the rim is also far better than watching a bunch of guys chucking up three’s, shot after shot. I’d prefer to see the three become a far harder shot. Leave the rim as is.

Comment

The NBA is not dunk after dunk after dunk. The athletes are far better at that level so the game is different than college ball but if you know what you're watching you can appreciate it. Now, ESPN shows highlights of dunk after dunk after dunk and that gets annoying. I can understand if you prefer the college game over the NBA from a spectator standpoint but don't pretend it's not a sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X