WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belmont to the Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Correct. I'm really excited about Belmont. The NET boost that they're going to help with for the entire league is going to lock us in to being a multi-bid league.

The other bonus with having them on board is that we can be SUPER selective on whoever 12 is and take our time getting there. Nothing wrong with playing 3 years with 11 until all hell breaks loose in realignment again for 25-26.
    Completely agree. It is a refreshing feeling to be in a position of power for a change instead of a reactive one. Great news.
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Belmont athletics announces move from Ohio Valley Conference to Missouri Valley Conference

For the second time in nearly a decade, Belmont will be making its home in a new conference.

In a Tuesday morning press conference at the Curb Event Center, school president Greg Jones and athletic director Scott Corley announced that the school would be joining the Missouri Valley Conference in fall 2022.

Belmont's move from the Ohio Valley Conference marks the fourth time a team has departed the conference this year.

Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State left the OVC for the ASUN earlier this year and Austin Peay announced its move from the OVC to the ASUN last week.

Belmont will become the 11th member team of the MVC joining Loyola-Chicago, Drake, Missouri State, Indiana State, Northern Iowa, Evansville, Valparaiso, Bradley, Southern Illinois and Illinois State.

Belmont will compete in the MVC in every sport outside of football and men's tennis. The school does not offer football. The MVC does not have men's tennis, so the school will seek affiliate membership in a conference outside of the MVC. Drake and Illinois State sponsor men's tennis and compete as affiliate member of the Summit League.

Comment

Staying at 11 for now is smart. In a way, we can pull a chair out for WSU without having to make any formal offer. If they ask to come back, fine. If not, we will carefully entertain other offers without needing to be in a rush.

And we aren't left scrambling to get back to 10 if MSU (or someone else) were to suddenly leave.

Comment

And we get another Arch Madness game! Three games on Thursday now!
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Northern Kentucky is an interesting name.

Right across the river from Cincinnati.

They seem to have a big appetite to move up.
            "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Correct. Per Matt Norlander, Belmont joins next season (22-23) and the league is sticking with the double round robin and 20 league games.
              Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this very likely mean Arch Madness is pushed back a week? We go from 18 league games to 20, and with an odd number of teams there will be nights off for teams - so unless they're planning on 3 game weeks, were adding 2 weeks to the league schedule. Maybe they could find a way to condense it so they're only adding one week to the schedule, but regardless, I don't know if you want to be playing that extra week in December unless you have to.
              To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this very likely mean Arch Madness is pushed back a week? We go from 18 league games to 20, and with an odd number of teams there will be nights off for teams - so unless they're planning on 3 game weeks, were adding 2 weeks to the league schedule. Maybe they could find a way to condense it so they're only adding one week to the schedule, but regardless, I don't know if you want to be playing that extra week in December unless you have to.
                The tournament has to stay where it is to keep that CBS slot so it's staying the first weekend in March.

They'll put that game back between Christmas and New Years and then play two the first week of December would be my guess. Everyone will also get one stretch of 4 games in 8 days like we used to when the calendar was short (Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday). Also wouldn't surprise me if we play the final game of the season on Monday night instead of Saturday like we used to.

VB/WBB scheduling is going to be interesting as well. You figure Missouri State is the orphan and midweek games have to be part of the plan. I'm actually more curious on how that's going to work than I am about MBB.
                Last edited by BCPanther; 09-28-2021, 01:12 PM.
                #MACtion

Comment

And we get another Arch Madness game! Three games on Thursday now!
                  I wondered about that. If you need 8 teams remaining on Friday AND all 11 get in, then 5 need to drop to 2 on Thursday:

GAME 1: 11vs 10
                  GAME 2: 8 vs 9
                  GAME 3: Game1 vs 7

That would mean that if you're 10th or 11th, your path to the championship becomes:
                  Win TWICE on Thursday, then Fri, Sat, Sun. That's just an impossible path.

No way. It's gotta be the top 10 get in and #11 misses the Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

I wondered about that. If you need 8 teams remaining on Friday AND all 11 get in, then 5 need to drop to 2 on Thursday:

GAME 1: 11vs 10
                    GAME 2: 8 vs 9
                    GAME 3: Game1 vs 7

That would mean that if you're 10th or 11th, your path to the championship becomes:
                    Win TWICE on Thursday, then Fri, Sat, Sun. That's just an impossible path.

No way. It's gotta be the top 10 get in and #11 misses the Arch.
                    You're overthinking it.

Now only the Top 5 get byes.

Thursday becomes
                    8 v 9 at 3:00 (winner gets #1 at noon on Friday)
                    7 v 10 at 5:30 (winner gets #2 at 6:00 on Friday)
                    6 v 11 at 8:00 (winner gets #3 at 8:30 on Friday)

If/when we add 12 then you get a 5 v 12 game and Thursday is a 4 game day like Friday.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Belmont might be a good add for MBB and WBB, but they appear quite bad of late in volleyball.
                      (10-65 the past 3 seasons and off to a 4-9 start this season)

not that the conference is really looking at anything beyond MBB (and maybe baseball) when considering schools to add.
                      Last edited by vbfan19; 09-28-2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                        Belmont might be a good add for MBB and WBB, but they appear quite back of late in volleyball.
                        (10-65 the past 3 seasons and off to a 4-9 start this season)

not that the conference is really looking at anything beyond MBB (and maybe baseball) when considering schools to add.
                        Meh.

MBB drives this conference and nothing else is close. Baseball is second and Belmont has baseball and it's not a bad program. Might not be world beaters but they'll be fine in the Valley. The fact they have volleyball is all that matters.

I'm, generally, pro Murray State though i don't think it happens anymore. I think I'm also fine with that.

There seems to be some hurt feelings on their end with the Valpo add a couple of years ago. I can't say I blame them. They really should have been the add at that time. Commissioner Jeff Jackson said today that the public/private split has been made clear to him that it is important. The potential issue there is Valpo (a private) replaced Wichita (a public). If they were all honest about it the split would be "spends on football vs no football/doesn't spend on football" and that may have hurt Murray at that point.

SIU was pretty against Murray at that point as well, I think a regional issue in terms of recruiting and competition.

Right now it sounds like Murray isn't super interested. There is a rumor they didn't want to engage with the Valley early last week, and then 36 hours later Belmont news broke. They don't want to bein the OVC anymore but they are mad at the Valley so they are looking elsewhere - I'll bet the SLC is a potential home and they'll make an attempt at the new ASUN even though that league is gigantic and I think done expanding.

Some beat guys, with connections, have mentioned that academics are a concern for the Valley. That seemed crazy to me but as I looked into it Murray is clearly a "step below" the Valley in terms of academics/rankings/graduation rate. They are also a southern regional university. All of the Valley is national or midwest regional, and Belmont is a national coming in. Their freshman scores coming in are lower for tests/gpa, their 4 year graduation rate is 31%, etc. Given how involved school presidents are in these things it makes sense that academic profile matters.

I'm fine with 11 until the right 12 comes around, if at all.

If we are looking at options come the 25/26 s-show there are some regional schools that could make interesting targets
                        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Correct. Per Matt Norlander, Belmont joins next season (22-23) and the league is sticking with the double round robin and 20 league games.
                          I'm curious if all eleven make it to Arch Madness. Perhaps, start it on Wednesday night 10 vs 11? Thursday night 10 vs 11 winner vs 7 plus the 8 vs 9 game? Friday the quarters, Saturday semis, Sunday the final. It would seem rather cold to leave out the 11th place team.
                          Last edited by BrockLesnar; 09-28-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Meh.

MBB drives this conference and nothing else is close. Baseball is second and Belmont has baseball and it's not a bad program. Might not be world beaters but they'll be fine in the Valley. The fact they have volleyball is all that matters.

I'm, generally, pro Murray State though i don't think it happens anymore. I think I'm also fine with that.

There seems to be some hurt feelings on their end with the Valpo add a couple of years ago. I can't say I blame them. They really should have been the add at that time. Commissioner Jeff Jackson said today that the public/private split has been made clear to him that it is important. The potential issue there is Valpo (a private) replaced Wichita (a public). If they were all honest about it the split would be "spends on football vs no football/doesn't spend on football" and that may have hurt Murray at that point.
                            The OVC is dead. Murray has no options even half as good as the Valley. They should be begging to get in. I can understand the frustrations from a few years ago, but still being upset and having it cost the future would be inexcusable imo. If they don't come to the Valley, I have a hard time seeing it be their choice, the rest of your post highlights some things I've never seen before though, maybe the Valley just doesn't want them.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

I'm curious if all eleven make it to Arch Madness. Perhaps, start it on Wednesday night 10 vs 11? Thursday night 10 vs 11 winner vs 7 plus the 8 vs 9 game? Friday the quarters, Saturday semis, Sunday the final. It would seem rather cold to leave out the 11th place team.
                              Post #54 sums this up perfectly. They add one game on Thursday and the rest of the tourney runs basically the same as it always has.

Comment

Originally posted by BrockLesnar View Post

It doesnt need to be that complicated. Top 5 get 1st round byes. Bottom 6 play Thursday. 4 games Friday like normal.
                                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                                X