WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belmont to the Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Trying to figure out why this arbitrary public private balance matters to certain people.
    It's not so much the private-public part as the football part in my opinion. Basketball is the premier sport for the MVC, but the schools with football, scholarship at least-which are all of the publics, place a large amount of resources there as well. That has irked many of the private no football or non-scholarship schools. When Wichita was in the conference is was an unbalanced 4 private/6 public but since Wichita was non-football the balance was still there. Note that when they left, the replacement was a private, non-scholarship football school. That was a leading strike against Murray at that time. Coming now as essentially a package with Belmont makes sense.

Right now, only 5 of the 11 MVFC schools are actually in the MVC. There is definitely a worry that the non MVC schools bolt to join up in a new conference and leave the other 5 in limbo. Adding a 6th MVC/MVFC school would help with stability as far as that.

Comment

I think the Dakotas trying to go power play and make it Summit League football would be fascinating. Maybe wouldn't end well but it would sure be fascinating.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        I think the Dakotas trying to go power play and make it Summit League football would be fascinating. Maybe wouldn't end well but it would sure be fascinating.
        Interesting. First I’ve heard of that. Does their on field success and money give them more leverage over the other members, or is everything more or less equal? Also, could they potentially use that leverage to try to get invited to the MVC for men’s basketball? That would be a big step up for them, but if the MVC can truly be picky, adding any Dakota school is semi-dumb, especially any of them except SDSU. It does nothing for you demographically compared to some other choices, and also adds little competitively (with the possible exception of SDSU).

Comment

Western Illinois has a bottom 50 budget and plays in what's basically the West Gym in a city you can't fly into.
          you can fly there (but you might have to take a smaller plane)

Comment

As in FBS or FCS? Either way, good luck.

Would be the lowest populated most remote conference in the history of sports.
            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Western Illinois has a bottom 50 budget and plays in what's basically the West Gym in a city you can't fly into. Their average RPI/NET over the past decade is 322.
              Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
              http://www.macombairport.com/index.html
              I believe most schools have opted to land on HWY 136, grab a Taco Bell burrito or Arby's Roast Beef sandwich for everyone and hike up to the campus. It really depends on the winds, though, whether you are landing from the east (and park the plane at Arby's) or from the west (mmm ... burritos).

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Interesting. First I’ve heard of that. Does their on field success and money give them more leverage over the other members, or is everything more or less equal? Also, could they potentially use that leverage to try to get invited to the MVC for men’s basketball? That would be a big step up for them, but if the MVC can truly be picky, adding any Dakota school is semi-dumb, especially any of them except SDSU. It does nothing for you demographically compared to some other choices, and also adds little competitively (with the possible exception of SDSU).
                The "threat" of Summit League football is something that has existed for a while, though much larger on the fan base/donor level than the admin level (but does exist on the admin levels). Right now the VFC has a 5/5/1 split with the MVC/Summit/Horizon. The minimum for an autobid is 6 teams. Thus the main/biggest reason I've advocated for Murray. Nothing to do with basketball, all to do with protecting the Valley football schools should the Summit do something rash.

There's been theory for a bit that the Summit wants to protect itself, rightfully, from Valley schools making changes and having an all-sports conference of their own and adding football would help protect the number of autobid sports. Northern Colorado has been on their radar for a while as a 6th football school. SUU was for a while as well before they joined the WAC. Right now I don't know that the threat is overly real given the financial situation of WIU. I don't know that they'd be able to handle the Summit expanding further west and replacing trips to Illinois State or UNI to Northern Colorado or any other western/southern school. I also think NDSU has a foot out the door trying to get into the depleted and desperate MWC.

SDSU is the only Summit school I would take a look at. The work Sell has done out there with facilities is insane and they just announced their 60 million dollar reno to their basketball arena. They are also the closest thing to a "basketball school" like you find in the Valley. Though I doubt Sioux Falls/Brookings does anything for the university presidents. As a potential 14th member, should that happen, they are worth a look. Even more so if NDSU bolts to some FBS invite. Again, for me, simply to protect the football league, which protects the basketball league.

The fan bases, again more than the admin at the schools, have been quite outspoken about not liking having to be tied to the MVC schools because there isn't enough focus on football and they think the Valley schools will screw them over the first chance we get.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

SDSU is the only one that you'd even consider. $60M arena renovation in progress and clearly the class of that league in WBB, VB and SB. They'd do very well in the Valley, I think.

Wonder where they found their AD?
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                    http://www.macombairport.com/index.html
                    Dynamite drop in, Jay. As always...

Lots of people out there flying ****ing turbo props...
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Sounds like the MWC schools have come to their senses and are staying put. Best to avoid the sinking ship that is the AAC. Does the AAC have any television contract money that is attractive to potential suitors?

Comment

• They do for one more year. Their ESPN deal is up a year earlier than everyone else's.
                        #MACtion

Comment

• Hey Everyone,

I have mostly been covering football lately, but I took a break to compile my thoughts on the Belmont add and why I think Murray State should be next. Take a look if you'd like. Excited to be talking hoops again! Go Panthers!

My thoughts on the Valley's outstanding choice to add Belmont and why I think Murray State should be next.

Comment

• Looks like AAC is looking to expand, looking at FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB. Yuck for them.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Looks like Wichita is back in a one bid league (after Memphis surely leaves) while the Valley is a consistent multi bid league.

I'm truly heartbroken. I'll be crying myself to sleep for the foreseeable future...
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                                Looks like Wichita is back in a one bid league (after Memphis surely leaves) while the Valley is a consistent multi bid league.

I'm truly heartbroken. I'll be crying myself to sleep for the foreseeable future...
                                LOL. My first thought at the AAC news was how completely screwed Wichita is. I’m not sure where Memphis can go, as their options are almost zero, but that’s a much worse league than the one the Shockers left. Serves them right.

Comment

Working...
                                X