WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facilities Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facilities Upgrades

I was looking through the PSC website and reading about the facilities upgrades going on around campus. I see that there was a McLeod Center Upgrades project listed under "Existing Projects" that includes a court upgrade, team banner update, video board and premium hospitality updates. The court upgrade and team banner updates are completed but the video board and premium hospitality upgrades aren't complete. Does anyone know the status of these or have any updates? Are they still happening?

They also list a $26.8M basketball practice facility in their "New Projects". With the recent success of basketball I would assume there's quite a few people behind that to push it to completion. Does anyone have any details on how this is going?

I believe a true practice facility is the one major piece that's still missing for us. A few Valley schools have completed theirs and they look fantastic, and for a recruit to come in and see that would be huge. If they could complete that and add a few suites and a center-hung video board in the McLeod it would be phenomenal.

Is there enough space to have a center court video/scoreboard without interfering with volleyball? It's shouldn't be a problem for basketball.
    "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

I believe the court upgrade was a couple years ago when we got a new court, and the banners were just the new banners hung from the rafters. The basketball practice facility would be fantastic, but with that price tag it seems so far away, hopefully I'm wrong though. It would be great for the men's and women's teams to just have their own dedicated space and also be a draw for recruits. I've heard the center hung scoreboard is in the plans. There were questions about it for volleyball, but apparently it'll work.
      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

What are they using the old Price Lab Fieldhouse for now?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
          What are they using the old Price Lab Fieldhouse for now?
          "The Nielsen Field House includes the College of Education Child Development Center along with a gymnasium, offices and ROTC."
          https://coe.uni.edu/facilities/nielsen-field-house

"In Fall 2020, the Nielsen Field House was expanded to provide more space for the growing ROTC program and the Department of Military Science. Renovations included offices, classrooms, a lounge and meeting spaces. The gymnasium has been renovated as well now featuring a new weight room for ROTC."
          https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/unis...ated-on-friday

Comment

Originally posted by DecadePanther View Post
            I was looking through the PSC website and reading about the facilities upgrades going on around campus. I see that there was a McLeod Center Upgrades project listed under "Existing Projects" that includes a court upgrade, team banner update, video board and premium hospitality updates. The court upgrade and team banner updates are completed but the video board and premium hospitality upgrades aren't complete. Does anyone know the status of these or have any updates? Are they still happening?

They also list a $26.8M basketball practice facility in their "New Projects". With the recent success of basketball I would assume there's quite a few people behind that to push it to completion. Does anyone have any details on how this is going?

I believe a true practice facility is the one major piece that's still missing for us. A few Valley schools have completed theirs and they look fantastic, and for a recruit to come in and see that would be huge. If they could complete that and add a few suites and a center-hung video board in the McLeod it would be phenomenal.
            Do you realize $26.8M = $26,800? Did you mean $26.8MM?

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
              Do you realize $26.8M = $26,800? Did you mean $26.8MM?
              I'm quite certain that the common interpretation of "$26.8M" is 26.8 million dollars (or $26,800,000.00) and all google results for a search on "$26.8M" seem to agree with me.
              I'm guessing you're the only one that considers $26.8M to be 26 thousand. (yes, the ancient romans used M for "thousand", but they didn't use 26.8)

Comment

The page I think DecadePanther is referring to: https://supportthepanthers.com/capit...-facility.html
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Loyola, Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, Southern Illinois and Belmont have all done major basketball-driven, 8 figure capital projects within the last 9 years. That group has done 7 dedicated practice facilities, one brand new arena, a secondary arena and 4 complete arena renovations. I'm not even counting the brand new lighting/audio/video that's been done pretty much everywhere as well.

It's absolutely embarrassing that we're in a class alone with Valpo.

We replaced a floor with dead spots and bought some banners.
                  Last edited by BCPanther; 10-26-2021, 03:33 PM.
                  #MACtion

Comment

It was glossed over pretty much everywhere but Missouri State also announced a 30-40 million dollar football stadium project earlier this fall as well.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                      It was glossed over pretty much everywhere but Missouri State also announced a 30-40 million dollar football stadium project earlier this fall as well.
                      Missouri State is also potentially a candidate for CUSA which is interesting. It would obviously take them out of the MVC for basketball and out of FCS for football.

Comment

If MSU goes C-USA I think the Valley needs to pull in a football member to maintain the balance that has served the conference well for years. Murray State and/or South Dakota State seem to make the most sense to me.

Comment

I wouldn't hate SDSU moving to full MVC/MVFC member. Play MVFC with one less team and just change the rotations again. That's not a terrible option given the strength of the league as a whole. Of course if you bring in SDSU, you are going to pi$$ off NDSU for not including them.
                          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

Missouri State is also potentially a candidate for CUSA which is interesting. It would obviously take them out of the MVC for basketball and out of FCS for football.
                            This was announced long before any realignment talk happened at all. I’d have to check dates but it might even predate Texas/OU to the SEC. they are upgrading simply because they are meeting the standards of 2021 and not 2007.

Even if they announced it in haste to get an FBS invite it’s damming to UNIs facilities upgrades. It would show they have vision and a leadership that will do what they need to better the university and position themselves to advance.

There has been none of that with our current leadership.

Those renderings for the practice facility are well over 3 years old at this point. They were done well in advance of David Harris’s “5 year plan” press conference he did and those renderings weren’t new at that presser over 3 years ago in 2018.

Yep. We are over 3 years in to a 5 year plan to completely overhaul every aspect of our athletic facilities and so far we have:
                            1. New banners in the McLeod
                            2. New court in the McLeod which was needed well before it happened
                            3. One turf practice field for football

so out of 75-100 million in proposed projects in that presser something like 2.2 million has been done and almost all of that seems to have come from Farley fundraising and that’s me giving 200k to a new basketball floor, which no chance 200k was spent on that.

As has been said before - if there is actively fundraising happening for other projects why not update the public on it? Why not use it as a reason to draw support? Build momentum? By doing it all hush hush behind closed doors keep everything a secret what you are doing is bleeding a very small number of donors dry while showing them no updates of progress for their donation

FWIW I know new/recent renderings (say from
                            this past spring/summer sometime) exist. I know the number of people who have seen them are very small. Why not release them as “we are close to starting this project. Join the team making it happen!”?

The Dome will happen, I just don’t get why it needs to be treated like the Manhattan project.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
                              I wouldn't hate SDSU moving to full MVC/MVFC member. Play MVFC with one less team and just change the rotations again. That's not a terrible option given the strength of the league as a whole. Of course if you bring in SDSU, you are going to pi$$ off NDSU for not including them.
                              Well they shouldn't have built their university in Canada, now should they have...
                              #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                              X