WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI vs Nicholls State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI vs Nicholls State

Well... It's officially game week for the first regular season basketball for our men's basketball team. A lot of hope and promise with this squad. It's been a rollercoaster the last couple years, but I'm hoping we get off to a good start with the non-conference schedule and build some confidence going into conference play.

I had to edit this as it comes off that like I'm not excited for this season. I have been looking forward to Tuesday for awhile, now. LET'S GO!!!
    Last edited by PantherAlum09; 11-07-2021, 05:34 PM.

Nicholls is very good team with a really young coach that's going to be a star someday.

Definitely not a gimme and one that we're going to have to play well to get.

The big point is that BASKETBALL IS BACK!!!!
    #MACtion

Comment

Nicholls State University is located in Thibodaux, Louisiana. This reminds me that I should order a Turducken with Crawfish Jambalaya…

https://barttorvik.com has Nicholls State at #275. Kenpom has them #227.
      They are likely to win to the Southland Conference.

Warm-up, tune-up, win, and get ready for Vermont.

Comment

Should win easily, but there's no need to reason to treat this like a D-3 game. Play hard enough to cruise to a win, don't play hard enough to get injured. Love to see AJ come out for like 30 in his first game back, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bit rusty.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
          Should win easily, but there's no need to reason to treat this like a D-3 game. Play hard enough to cruise to a win, don't play hard enough to get injured. Love to see AJ come out for like 30 in his first game back, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was a bit rusty.
          Biggest thing for me with AJ is I hope he isn't too terribly sore with it being his first real game in almost a year. Nicholls State is good, but the much better opponent is Thursday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Biggest thing for me with AJ is I hope he isn't too terribly sore with it being his first real game in almost a year. Nicholls State is good, but the much better opponent is Thursday night.
            My guess is that he'll be on an informal minutes restriction, especially if the game's in hand at half time. Again, not that Nicholls State is a D-3 team, but we would've been able to beat them last year without AJ.

Comment

This is a good first game. It's good to have a decent team for the opener. The sooner we see where we are the quicker will be the adjustments. Minus Born this could be a 5-7 point game.

Comment

I did a quick read of a couple of articles about Nichols. They return a good big man, and brought in several shooting guards via the portal. They’ve already played an exhibition against LSU and lost, but led at the half.

Sounds like a good test for our first game. We should definitely be favored, but I’ll be surprised if it’s a blowout.

Comment

I agree with everyone - this is a good game to jump on the season. It usually takes a few games for us to get on some sort of roll so I don’t expect a blowout. Some of our historically great teams have had head scratchers to start the season. I expect a 5-10 point win which isn’t in hand until free throws in the final minute. I could also see a slip to start but don’t expect it.

After how last season started/went, I am very measured on my expectations. (Or, maybe it’s football reminding me we can’t have nice things…)

Comment

This is also your reminder that Torvik and KenPom aren't great until everybody gets 12 games in as they'll still be pulling info from last year. Probably even worse this year because of the disjointed schedules everybody played last year.

As for tomorrow night, I'll go 75-64 with a game that is competitive until the last media.
                    #MACtion

Comment

I just want a decent crowd to show up and a Panther W for the first game of the season. I couldn't be more excited for this game though. Love me some panther basketball!

Comment

Also, FYI, they dropped the 'state' a couple years ago. They're just Nicholls now.

If we're going to be upset when people screw our name up, we owe the same courtesy to others.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          Also, FYI, they dropped the 'state' a couple years ago. They're just Nicholls now.

If we're going to be upset when people screw our name up, we owe the same courtesy to others.
                          So we've got NU vs. UNI?

Comment

Originally posted by kochrab View Post

So we've got NU vs. UNI?
                            Not exactly, lol.

They're still Nicholls State University but they choose to go by Nicholls without the state for Athletics.

McNeese did the same thing. Must be a Louisiana thing.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Not exactly, lol.

They're still Nicholls State University but they choose to go by Nicholls without the state for Athletics.

McNeese did the same thing. Must be a Louisiana thing.
                              Apparently so is the spelling of "go" as in "Geaux Colonels."
                              "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X