WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 4: UNI @ Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MNpanthers View Post

Not that anyone asked for the millennial opinion, but we have exactly opposite opinions. Also, under no circumstances should a black tank top be worn underneath these purples (*cough* a certain player on the team *cough*)

The white numbers look way better than the gold numbers on the away jerseys though, I will give you that.
    It goes against everything UNI is trying to do with branding. The current uniforms belong in the Dunbar era where we were trying to drop the "University" and just be Northern Iowa. All of our current branding is moving to emphasize the UNI at the university level and to standardize it through the entire university system. It is what it is but when you are trying to get ESPN to stop with the bat$hit crazy NOIA and NIU crap, don't throw something into the mix that adds to the confusion.
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

It goes against everything UNI is trying to do with branding. The current uniforms belong in the Dunbar era where we were trying to drop the "University" and just be Northern Iowa. All of our current branding is moving to emphasize the UNI at the university level and to standardize it through the entire university system. It is what it is but when you are trying to get ESPN to stop with the bat$hit crazy NOIA and NIU crap, don't throw something into the mix that adds to the confusion.
      True story.

@ BYU in 2008? I was on the field with some players warming up. BYU staff came up to me (I was the only non player on the field at the time) and asked if we wanted UNI or N. Iowa on the scoreboard. My thought was know one would even know what UNI was at that time so I told the N. Iowa. I still feel responsible (jokingly) for the struggle of getting ESPN and company behind UNI

Comment

• I'm feeling much better about our 25-8/26-7 season, but we have to win a ton late due to early losses. We're probably, in the First Four at 25-8. Of course, we also need the Selection God's in our corner.
        Last edited by BrockLesnar; 11-18-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• I said it when he was signed and I'll say it again, Cole Henry is built perfectly for this offense and will be an absolute stud in it if given the opportunity to do so. He's long, athletic, can handle the ball really well, and has excellent handles. I wouldn't be surprised if he started next year at the 4 next to Phyfe. Put Noah at the 3, Heise at the 2, and Bowen or Kimmons at the point spot (this is obviously assuming AJ leaves for the NBA, which is expected). That lineup can win A LOT of games in the MVC.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
            It would’ve been nice to see us be at least a little competitive the last 3 minutes given our recent history of folding down the stretch. Even when we were tied with 4 minutes to go it felt like we were down six. I just don’t expect us to close out games anymore.

Encouraging, sure, but we’ve gone from being hopeful for an NCAA bid to just hoping to see encouraging signs very quickly and it has really taken the wind out of my sails personally. Id love to see this team have the confidence to go toe to toe with a team like that down the stretch. That is the way we used to be in the not so distant past. We didn’t back down from anybody and wouldn’t be satisfied with a 13 point loss no matter the situation. And this is a team we expected to be very, very good.

What can ya do?
            Having been at the game and reflecting on it 24 hours later, I can assure you no one on the team or staff is "satisfied with a 13 point loss." Yes, the first two D1 games were disappointing but they were the first two played with AJ and Kimmons having missed all of last year. Additionally, Born (injury) and Henry (suspension) did not play in those games either. Yes, we should never be satisfied with losing but having seen their facilities, corporate support from big money supporters like Walmart (Bud Walton Arena), Tyson Foods, JB Hunt Transportation, etc., the gap between the "resources haves" of Arkansas and the "resources have nots" of UNI are huge. The atmosphere in their arena gives them a huge advantage, from their pre-game "Globetrotter-like sweet Georgia Brown" ball handling, juggling, dunking, uni-cycling antics to their in-game "Soo-ee, Soo-ee, Soo-ee, Razorbacks" cheer that EVERYONE in the crowd participates in during every time out, is very impressive. Compare that to our home court atmosphere where half of our fans can't even clap their hands during our team introductions.

What I saw last night is encouraging, not discounting a fact that it is another loss. We made some mistakes those last few minutes but what really cost us the game is we allowed too many easy shots around the basket and dunks during the earlier parts of the game. Their fans were very complimentary of our team after the game, which I realize is easy to do after they have beaten us. Looking forward to continued improvement as we go forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Having been at the game and reflecting on it 24 hours later, I can assure you no one on the team or staff is "satisfied with a 13 point loss." Yes, the first two D1 games were disappointing but they were the first two played with AJ and Kimmons having missed all of last year. Additionally, Born (injury) and Henry (suspension) did not play in those games either. Yes, we should never be satisfied with losing but having seen their facilities, corporate support from big money supporters like Walmart (Bud Walton Arena), Tyson Foods, JB Hunt Transportation, etc., the gap between the "resources haves" of Arkansas and the "resources have nots" of UNI are huge. The atmosphere in their arena gives them a huge advantage, from their pre-game "Globetrotter-like sweet Georgia Brown" ball handling, juggling, dunking, uni-cycling antics to their in-game "Soo-ee, Soo-ee, Soo-ee, Razorbacks" cheer that EVERYONE in the crowd participates in during every time out, is very impressive. Compare that to our home court atmosphere where half of our fans can't even clap their hands during our team introductions.

What I saw last night is encouraging, not discounting a fact that it is another loss. We made some mistakes those last few minutes but what really cost us the game is we allowed too many easy shots around the basket and dunks during the earlier parts of the game. Their fans were very complimentary of our team after the game, which I realize is easy to do after they have beaten us. Looking forward to continued improvement as we go forward.
              Here, here

Dynamite post!
              #MACtion

Comment

Thank you! Saw you on the TV. Glad you were there to support and very much appreciate your insights!
                "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Thoughts:

1. Defense - It seems like they are at the point where they can mostly do it when they're metal focused. That is, for a while, until fatigued, etc. As they keep working and thinking it through, they'll get to where it's more automatic. Sadly for the MVC, we could be the team that loses games early, lowers the MVC NET, and then takes the Arch.

2. 3 point shooting (EveryoneButBurhow): 38.4%. Very good. That's a 1.15 ppp on 3pt shots. Great.

3. 3 point shooting (TraeTreyBurhow): 7/11=64%. That's 1.9 ppp on Trae3pt shots. That's unbeatable. When Trae catches and shoots, I bet he's honestly about 60% for the last three years, maybe higher. It would be a good project. We should gear our offense around getting Trae open for catch and shoot 3s. For some reason, when he dribbles and shoots, he is not as accurate. It's not just open 3s, either. A lot of his makes last night were guarded, hand in face 3s.

4. Trae Burhow - Overall ppp=2.09 (23pts on 13 shots - 2 steals).

5. AJ - shooting is getting better. 30.7% from 3. He had a ppp=0.696 (16 pts on 21 shots and 2 TOs). That must improve - and it will. Yes - he's rusty. He needs to work on dribbling with Kimmons trying to steal it.

6. Nate Heise - Awesome game! ppp=2.29 (16 pts on 8 shots and 1 steal). That's incredible. By ppp, he's the player of the game.

7. Cole Henry - great game - awesome passes. Should he be driving to the bucket? I think he needs to be careful when he does that. Gave up two turnovers late doing that. But great game. Needs to learn what he can and cannot do.

8. Tywhon Pickford - nice game. He took 4 well chosen shots, 2 TOs though, which puts means his ppp=0.83 (5 pts on 4 shots + 2 TOs)

9. The last 4 minutes - flush them. Move on. This team was running with #16 for 37 minutes. We'll face teams like this again and we'll be ready.

Comment

...The atmosphere in their arena gives them a huge advantage, from their pre-game "Globetrotter-like sweet Georgia Brown" ball handling, juggling, dunking, uni-cycling antics to their in-game "Soo-ee, Soo-ee, Soo-ee, Razorbacks" cheer that EVERYONE in the crowd participates in during every time out, is very impressive. Compare that to our home court atmosphere where half of our fans can't even clap their hands during our team introductions..
                    haha. yeah. If you were at the Univ of Dubuque game - did you notice the announcer said, "Panther fans! Welcome to the ... basketball game." I laughed at that because "welcome to the jungle" has always made me raise my eyebrows - I look around and ask - could this be LESS like a jungle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
                      I said it when he was signed and I'll say it again, Cole Henry is built perfectly for this offense and will be an absolute stud in it if given the opportunity to do so. He's long, athletic, can handle the ball really well, and has excellent handles. I wouldn't be surprised if he started next year at the 4 next to Phyfe. Put Noah at the 3, Heise at the 2, and Bowen or Kimmons at the point spot (this is obviously assuming AJ leaves for the NBA, which is expected). That lineup can win A LOT of games in the MVC.
                      What makes you think AJ is going to be in the NBA next year?

Comment

A lot of that atmosphere can be attributed to having a winning team. I watched the NIU/Missouri game last night (at Missouri, another SEC team), and they suck and had no fans in the stands. I’d be willing to bet if Missouri was ranked 16 and were playing well it would be packed—so would McCloud.

That said, I was encouraged by what I saw, and I think the crowd energy helped us, even if it wasn’t our crowd. I’m bummed that we had a good crowd for Nicholls and then laid an egg. Was a good chance to hook those students for the rest of the season if we had taken care of business those two games.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

I get what you are saying, but it's literally the name of our school. I don't think the UNI branding emphasis meant totally rejecting the actual university name. You still need to market them both. That's what they are doing, and personally, I appreciate the variety finally.

Comment

Working...
                          X