WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 5: UNI @ St. Bonaventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not counting FTs, AJ had 31 points on 18 shots + 3 TOs = 1.48 ppp. Awesome. Plus he stayed in front of his man really well on D.

Comment

Jake said post-game Trae is sick.

Comment

had to watch this game on my phone while doing some things at work so my attention was not always on the action. It was so great to see AJ step up and play the way we know he can. I also was thrilled to continue to see the progression of Henry in this game. I feel much more comfortable with our combo at the #5 spot with how he has played. That was a talented team we beat today. We continued to battle when our lead slipped away on the road. being able to have a lead like that slip away with the crowed in the game to come back and eventually take back control was great. You never like to see a 19 point lead slip away but we were playing a good team who we knew wasn't going to lay down.

Nate is going to go down as a panther great. This kid is a great basketball player and as tough as they come.
        unipanther2154
        Last edited by unipanther2154; 11-27-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post
          Jake said post-game Trae is sick.
          Bummer that he's sick, but thankfully he's not hurt.
          To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post

Bummer that he's sick, but thankfully he's not hurt.
            Got 5 points from Trae and beat the #16 team in the country on the road. Pretty, prettttyyyy, pretty good.

Comment

Four offensive rebounds allowed today.

UNI is currently #1 in the country in defensive rebounding per Kenpom. UNI has been in the top 30, at least, in this stat basically every year since 2003. They are giving up rebounds on 15% of their opponents' shots - the NCAA average is about 28%.

#32 in strength of schedule.

#247 in average experience. It's a young team comparatively, which think might come as a surprise to some people.
              not a drake fan
              Last edited by not a drake fan; 11-27-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

GREAT WIN! Feet finally getting under them and just a gutsy performance against a SOLID team at their place. Henry is a freak and is a perfect compliment to Phyfe…less a scorer but great passing vision and athleticism…he may have made a huge difference the first couple games. Also, inbounding seemed to be addressed….a bit…KEEP IT ROLLIN BOYS!

Comment

One other thing. St. Bonaventure only got 8 minutes from their bench. In their close win against Clemson last week, they got 12 minutes.

This team is really good, awesome really. But they rely so incredibly much on their 5 senior starters. When they come to the Mcleod next year, they are going to take a big step back.

Comment

Fantastic win today!!!

(Four offensive rebounds allowed today. UNI is currently #1 in the country in defensive rebounding per Kenpom. UNI has been in the top 30, at least, in this stat basically every year since 2003. They are giving up rebounds on 15% of their opponents' shots - the NCAA average is about 28%.)

Is the above partly due to the fact that we always send all 5 guys to the defensive glass?

'70 Grad
                    Last edited by '70 Grad; 11-27-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                      Fantastic win today!!!

(Four offensive rebounds allowed today. UNI is currently #1 in the country in defensive rebounding per Kenpom. UNI has been in the top 30, at least, in this stat basically every year since 2003. They are giving up rebounds on 15% of their opponents' shots - the NCAA average is about 28%.)

Is the above partly due to the fact that we always send all 5 guys to the defensive glass?
                      IDK, I would assume that this is something that Jake emphasizes a lot in practice - teaching guys to get a body on somebody when the shot goes up.

UNIs defensive style also probably impacts this here - historically UNIs defense seems to try to force guys out to the perimeter to take shots. Which would put you in a better position to box out. I'm not a big X's and O's guy but that's how I see it.

Most years, UNIs opponents get a large percentage of their pointers from 3 pointers. They force teams to beat you from 3. Most years, UNI is in the top 100 in that regard.

This is just my opinion, and I'm a moron, but I'm not so sure that being #1 in defensive rebounding percentage is necessarily a great thing. NBA teams and analytically driven college teams take almost all of their shots from the arc or at the rim (UNI is getting better at this IMO). Your points per shot is a lot higher at the rim or at the arc; the midrange game has completely disappeared from the NBA. I'm not so sure that the pack line defense is a great strategy in the modern game - you should be defending the arc, not trying to force teams to shoot from it. In college, you can get away more often with forcing teams to beat you from 3, especially in a mid-major league, because college kids aren't as good from deep and NBA guys are absolutely nails.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ed-it-forever/
                      not a drake fan
                      Last edited by not a drake fan; 11-27-2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• I don't think this is anywhere near the last time we score 90 this year. This thing turned and there are new cuts and motions that we haven't seen until Born got back.

Plenty of room to improve defensively but when you rebound the way we do, it's actually not as important.
                        #MACtion

Comment

• This game was so much fun:

- AJ GREEN: Any time anybody questions Green as a potential NBA level talent, I'm just going to attach a link of the last 3 minutes of the first half. I'm not saying he's a first round pick or anything crazy, but guys that get in a zone like that are next to impossible to find. That is rare elite scoring ability. If a team thinks they can unlock any more of that, you bet your ass they are going to take chances on him.

- NATE HEISE: When we recruited him and Born, I watched so much of their highlight video and every time I did, I loved his game more and more. Born was the freshmen of the year, and I think Heise is better, now. THAT IS NOT A KNOCK ON BOWEN. It just shows how fortunate we are to have both of them. He is such a smart, strong, player. I can't wait to see him as he continues to get stronger. He's already one of our best finishers at the rim.

- AUSTIN PHYFE: Phyfe was great today. He did all the dirty work and even hit a couple threes. It was great to see him contribute like that again.

- COLE HENRY: This kid has improved so much from last year. My goodness, the coaches and Cole deserve so much credit for how he is playing this year.

I have so many thoughts. It was great to see us get out to such a big lead. It was terrifying to see that lead erased extremely quickly. It was wonderful to see us bounce back from that. To not have Berhow contribute much and still beat a ranked team on the road by 10... beautiful. I was expecting a slug fest, but UNI's offense gave the Bonnies a lot of problems. Let's go beat Bradley.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                            I don't think this is anywhere near the last time we score 90 this year. This thing turned and there are new cuts and motions that we haven't seen until Born got back.

Plenty of room to improve defensively but when you rebound the way we do, it's actually not as important.
                            We still gave up 80, but the defense really stepped up for a couple stretches today. The Bonnies put up 6 points the last 7 minutes of the first half and 10 points in about a 9 minute stretch after they tied it at 62. Still allowing too many wide open 3s, but it was nice to see the D step up a couple times, especially how faulty it's been early in the season. Offensively, the improvement is just incredible compared to the Nicholls and Vermont games - and it's really not only hitting 3s, ball movement has been much better.
                            To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post
                              - NATE HEISE: When we recruited him and Born, I watched so much of their highlight video and every time I did, I loved his game more and more. Born was the freshmen of the year, and I think Heise is better, now. THAT IS NOT A KNOCK ON BOWEN. It just shows how fortunate we are to have both of them. He is such a smart, strong, player. I can't wait to see him as he continues to get stronger. He's already one of our best finishers at the rim.
                              Hiese is the guy who does everything, but is often overlooked. I was surprised to see he put up 15 points and was 2nd on the team with 7 rebounds today. Just a really smart kid who gets into good position on both sides of the floor and plays his ass off. I love that he's been more aggressive going to the hoop this year too. I think Bowen will be more of a scorer, especially after AJ moves on, but Hiese is a flat out stud.

Comment

• My top 5 wins: #1 Kansas round of 32, 2010, #1 UNC at home 2016, #10 Missouri round of 64,1990, #11 Iowa at home 2001, and #16 St. Bonaventure at Allegany, NY. That was the best true road win ever. So, many times the Bonnies threatened, but we were up to it. We're dancing. No one recalls the bad start, now.

Comment

Working...
                                X