WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 15- ISUb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
    I love what Bowen and Antwan brought to the floor tonight. And Nate Heise is a kid you sometimes forget is out there but then you look at his line and he doesn’t have a bad game while usually defending one of the other teams best players.
    Just watched replay of 2nd half and yes, Carter was the ignition but I agree, Antwan and Born were huge as well, on both ends!
    Also, Trees got away with that arm hook all night long! And we were a clutch 23 of 25 from the stripe, nice!
    Last edited by orangetennis; 01-12-2022, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Thank goodness for that win. Schertz is a really good coach, and that team has some serious talent. I applaud ISU for thinking a little outside the box to hire a DII powerhouse coach. I think they are going to be a problem this year and in the future.

I'm hopeful tonight was a hiccup from our group and we see more of what we had going the last few games.

As for the players:

AJ was off tonight, obviously. And he picked some really inopportune times to play iso and try to hit contested threes. It was always after a quick stop with the chance to take the lead and it was just so deflating when he would take those poor shots. He did hit a nice shot to help push it to OT, though.

Noah Carter absolutely saved the team tonight. He is so important to the success of the team. It's a shame he got in some foul trouble, because we were at our best tonight with him at the 5. That's kind of been the trend the last few games, though.

I thought Bowen and Heise were both very solid tonight. They both hit some big shots at different times, and I really liked the way Born probed his way around the defense to make plays.

Berhow is 100% a villain to other fanbases. There was a couple times I was worried about him getting a technical. I don't mind it, but I wouldn't say I love it. I'm not sure if Cam Henry and him had some words before or right at the start of the game but he was the target all game long of Trae.

I'm really torn on Kimmons. I like his attitude and energy, but he just hasn't shown the ability to slow himself down. He did make a couple big plays in big moments to keep us in it.

We have a big one on Saturday. I want to see Jake looking like ZZ Top when this thing is all said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by English77 View Post

And don’t forget Berhow. He was a fighter tonight. Tough as nails.

Postgame, Jacobson said he was out-coached. Also said yesterday’s practice was just plain bad. Also repeatedly said how he loves these players.

So it goes. We’re 4-1.
        He said the same things on the postgame radio interview. He was very complimentary of Carter, Born, and Kimmons, and with good reason.

I was at the game, and Jake was right. Their staff out prepped and out coached ours for much of the game. Credit to Jake for admitting that. UNI had to set some kind of defensive record for giving up layups to cutters and back door plays. Jake made some kind of second half adjustment to take that away, but they killed us with those the entire first half. Indiana State played with a lot of grit and toughness tonight. Their new coach really seems to have his act together.

Comment

You don't win 80+% of your games at any level by accident. If he's able to get the right talent to do what he wants to going forward they have a real chance to be consistently successful and playing in a basically brand new arena and having a very nice new practice facility is going to help with that. I was skeptical that playing really fast like he wants to in this league was going to work but replacing Loyola with Murray and Belmont is going to help with that as Murray will run all day with you and Belmont is pretty comfortable in the 80s.

Getting embarrassed like that and still winning is big. It gives Jake some ammunition for practice the next few days and helps to teach this team that you have to bring it every day and every game night. That's a lesson that should be crystal clear now.

On to a big one Saturday Night!
          #MACtion

Comment

That was an ugly, ugly game. The refs really seemed to not have a handle on the game - calling touch fouls during some phases, calling fouls on players not on the floor, missing other blatant issues (both ways). Blah.

Much credit to ISU - they played all out, and really imposed their style for about 3/4 of the game. The 2nd half press eventually sucked just enough energy out of their legs to make the difference.

Love Born's attitude. And Noah's.

Kimmons seems to be out of control 80% of the time - much like Deon Mitchell or Wes Wasphun in his earlier days. I guess he has been tasked with upholding the UNI tradition of missing layups.

Comment

Bowen fully admitted in his interview that practice leading up to this game wasn't that great and they weren't locked in as a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                That was an ugly, ugly game. The refs really seemed to not have a handle on the game - calling touch fouls during some phases, calling fouls on players not on the floor, missing other blatant issues (both ways). Blah.

Much credit to ISU - they played all out, and really imposed their style for about 3/4 of the game. The 2nd half press eventually sucked just enough energy out of their legs to make the difference.

Love Born's attitude. And Noah's.

Kimmons seems to be out of control 80% of the time - much like Deon Mitchell or Wes Wasphun in his earlier days. I guess he has been tasked with upholding the UNI tradition of missing layups.
                People on the Indiana State message board weren't too thrilled by Noah's attitude. Nor were they thrilled with Berhow. On the other hand, I was amused by Cam Henry's disbelief every time a call went against him. Perception all depends on who's ox is getting gored.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan View Post

People on the Indiana State message board weren't too thrilled by Noah's attitude. Nor were they thrilled with Berhow. On the other hand, I was amused by Cam Henry's disbelief every time a call went against him. Perception all depends on who's ox is getting gored.
                  I can definitely see how Berhow could rub other fan bases the wrong way. But Noah? Meh. He was excited last night at times - and rightfully so. Didn't see anything to complain about beyond that.
                  "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan View Post

Yikes - their message board is a dark, dark place. Calling Panther players names, referring to us as 'The Pussies', one user said on Carter's first drive to the hoop at the next game a Sycamore needs to send him into the 3rd row.

Never seen a fanbase get so rattled by a couple of opposing players before. They must have not been paying attention all the times their players were doing the same exact things last night.

Comment

• I agree with BAP. I can see how Berhow can get under people's skin - he's got a bit of swagger and cockiness that I'm sure opponents hate. Noah though? Come on, the guy was just pumped. There was no arrogance or cockiness, it was pure emotion. I guess it's just one of those things you love to see from your team but hate from opponents.
                      To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

• Part of ISU's fanbase posts are the result of frustration from blowing a 17-point second half lead and losing in overtime. PN has some posters that would be bad-mouthing opposing players if UNI were to have done the same as well.

As far as officiating last night, Kelly Self is a veteran ref who consistently works high level NCAA tourney games, but the two young guys had a really tough night. I don't recall ever seeing either one do a game in McLeod before and i wouldn't be surprised if it is the first year officiating DI games for both.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          You don't win 80+% of your games at any level by accident. If he's able to get the right talent to do what he wants to going forward they have a real chance to be consistently successful and playing in a basically brand new arena and having a very nice new practice facility is going to help with that. I was skeptical that playing really fast like he wants to in this league was going to work but replacing Loyola with Murray and Belmont is going to help with that as Murray will run all day with you and Belmont is pretty comfortable in the 80s.

Getting embarrassed like that and still winning is big. It gives Jake some ammunition for practice the next few days and helps to teach this team that you have to bring it every day and every game night. That's a lesson that should be crystal clear now.

On to a big one Saturday Night!
                          Having a game last night to have the guys' undivided attention going into Carbondale is certainly not the worst thing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
                            Part of ISU's fanbase posts are the result of frustration from blowing a 17-point second half lead and losing in overtime. PN has some posters that would be bad-mouthing opposing players if UNI were to have done the same as well.

As far as officiating last night, Kelly Self is a veteran ref who consistently works high level NCAA tourney games, but the two young guys had a really tough night. I don't recall ever seeing either one do a game in McLeod before and i wouldn't be surprised if it is the first year officiating DI games for both.
                            Kelly Self is past his prime, you can tell he doesn't move as well as he used to, the darker hair younger official has been here before, not sure about the other.

Even though it helped us with the hook and hold (the Tree fans don't understand that one) I am tired of constantly going to the monitor, I'm sure at half they went to the bathroom and had to go to the monitor to make sure they wiped.

Comment

• While I wanted the win and Bledson and Henry fouling out helped, I was happy that they didn't foul out until late.
                              I wanted to see the panthers right the ship and fight back against THAT team, not a diminished version.

Overall, a very blahhhhh first 30 minutes. But great job fighting back. I'm sure the last 10 minutes was as painful for them as the first 30 was for us.

Berhow can get... feisty. While it helps his defensive energy, I don't think it improves his shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
                                While I wanted the win and Bledson and Henry fouling out helped, I was happy that they didn't foul out until late.
                                I wanted to see the panthers right the ship and fight back against THAT team, not a diminished version.

Overall, a very blahhhhh first 30 minutes. But great job fighting back. I'm sure the last 10 minutes was as painful for them as the first 30 was for us.

Berhow can get... feisty. While it helps his defensive energy, I don't think it improves his shooting.
                                Idk...his best games have been games like at Colorado and at Arkansas. He was plenty fiesty during those games.

Comment

Working...
                                X