WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 18: Drake (Purple out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

I don't know. The only real problem I had with the officiating was their quick whistle when Drake was backing to the basket against us. It didn't seem to matter who it was; they were eventually going to call a hand check, block, etc. on us. I just didn't agree with that. But otherwise, we didn't even give the officials a chance to even it out later in the game. They aren't going to call anything when we just dribble it around 5 feet outside of the 3 point line. They had a good strategy of doubling our ball handler out top and we didn't find the open guy.
    The officials didn't help, but this is purely on the coaches. When you literally stop trying to score, you can't blame anybody else.
    To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I don't necessarily disagree but I have no earthly idea where we'd come up with the money to buy them out.

We'd owe Farley north of $2M and Jake $8.5M.
      I agree. Nothing to do but watch it burn.

$5 tickets and $3 beers is about all you can do. You can’t sell the programs themselves.

going to be like Blackhawk hockey at McElroy Auditorium. Just an excuse to get drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Scary how god awful the condition of uni athletics will be by that time.

harris might be able to market himself as a guy that can turn a D1 program into DII.

attendance is going to be awful going forward for the next half decade. It’s almost a given.
        This is my worry. Maybe it's unwarranted? I don't know. It really bums me out that this university cares so little about their athletics that they're willing to let them possibly waste away. That article BC put up the other day that SDSU raised 40 plus million for athletics was truly depressing. I guess they are the big universities in the Dakotas but... Gross! I really wish I still lived in the Cedar Valley, so I could support the teams more regularly. I would be so disappointed if we got to a spot where they start making tough decisions regarding athletics.

Comment

I don't know. The only real problem I had with the officiating was their quick whistle when Drake was backing to the basket against us. It didn't seem to matter who it was; they were eventually going to call a hand check, block, etc. on us. I just didn't agree with that. But otherwise, we didn't even give the officials a chance to even it out later in the game. They aren't going to call anything when we just dribble it around 5 feet outside of the 3 point line. They had a good strategy of doubling our ball handler out top and we didn't find the open guy.
          At one point they had three or four guys with four fouls. Why weren’t we just barreling to the hoop every possession. We let their good players staying in the game by doing that.

Comment

This is my worry. Maybe it's unwarranted? I don't know. It really bums me out that this university cares so little about their athletics that they're willing to let them possibly waste away. That article BC put up the other day that SDSU raised 40 plus million for athletics was truly depressing. I guess they are the big universities in the Dakotas but... Gross! I really wish I still lived in the Cedar Valley, so I could support the teams more regularly. I would be so disappointed if we got to a spot where they start making tough decisions regarding athletics.
            Thing is, if athletics goes down a level enrollment will suffer greatly IMO.

the college experience has a lot to do with athletics IMO. You can get a degree online, what draws students is the experiences.

these are very dark days for the university as a whole IMO.

Few will go to uni if all they know growing up is good times at Iowa and ISU sporting events.

Comment

If Jake hangs around long enough he will be the all time win leader of the MVC. But will always be remembered as Coach Meltdown because of all his big time leads he couldn’t have his team hold onto☹️ When you think about it…Wow what it could have been like!

Comment

I’m as disappointed as anyone tonight. I’ve been a diehard for 40 years and my emotional state tonight is one of those times where you question why you care so much about whether a 20 year old kid makes a shot. Yes I’m frustrated with AJ ISO at the end of games and I also sometimes think Jake may need some fresh blood on the bench. But....

Three years ago we are a few HIGHLY questionable calls in STL from a bid. Two years ago we won the Valley. With 3 minutes to go today we had thoughts of another title run. There is a little bit of over reaction here. Look at the last time several valley teams made the tournament. Notably MSU and ISUr. Most of the valley schools would trade places in a heartbeat. Did any of you see the last possession SIU had against drake the other night? Compare that to the open look we got Trae at Valpo and think about our coach. The sky is not quite falling as much as many on here are implying.

Comment

The problem is that we're 3 incredibly similar meltdowns away from being 8-0 and in the driver's seat. The 4-5 game is a tough sell when you see where we should have have been.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
                    I’m as disappointed as anyone tonight. I’ve been a diehard for 40 years and my emotional state tonight is one of those times where you question why you care so much about whether a 20 year old kid makes a shot. Yes I’m frustrated with AJ ISO at the end of games and I also sometimes think Jake may need some fresh blood on the bench. But....

Three years ago we are a few HIGHLY questionable calls in STL from a bid. Two years ago we won the Valley. With 3 minutes to go today we had thoughts of another title run. There is a little bit of over reaction here. Look at the last time several valley teams made the tournament. Notably MSU and ISUr. Most of the valley schools would trade places in a heartbeat. Did any of you see the last possession SIU had against drake the other night? Compare that to the open look we got Trae at Valpo and think about our coach. The sky is not quite falling as much as many on here are implying.
                    Close. You were a 'Do more with less' from a UNI mediocrity bingo.

We're in crisis as a department and nobody seems to give a ****.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post

I agree with you that the program as a whole is mostly on the right track. There are some x and o things that aren’t being addressed and also some poor in-game strategies (see today). Both of which are befuddling and frustrating to fans. Some of these late game meltdowns might be due to conditioning too. The team doesn’t seem very in-shape.

This season is far from over so I’m not tossing in the towel on the season yet.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Thing is, if athletics goes down a level enrollment will suffer greatly IMO.

the college experience has a lot to do with athletics IMO. You can get a degree online, what draws students is the experiences.

these are very dark days for the university as a whole IMO.

Few will go to uni if all they know growing up is good times at Iowa and ISU sporting events.
                        Enrollment is down to the lowest since 1968 at UNI (according to an NI article from November) and many in higher ed were already looking to further decline with “the cliff of 2025” when the demographics show a dramatic drop in 18 year-olds in the country before COVID hit.

Add a third academic year (so far) of COVID, the Regents’ obvious biases, a lack of support in the Iowa legislature and other factors and I do wonder if UNI may be an even smaller school by the end of the decade.

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                          I want to have always been dead.
                          Sigh... The one thing I was counting on getting me through this Winter was a trip to the Dance.... The lack of flow when it really mattered leaves me no words....

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Enrollment is down to the lowest since 1968 at UNI (according to an NI article from November) and many in higher ed were already looking to further decline with “the cliff of 2025” when the demographics show a dramatic drop in 18 year-olds in the country before COVID hit.

Add a third academic year (so far) of COVID, the Regents’ obvious biases, a lack of support in the Iowa legislature and other factors and I do wonder if UNI may be an even smaller school by the end of the decade.
                            It will. The data all suggests we're falling like a rock.

Comment

The biggest thing to me is who would be the next coach. We have no practice floor exclusively for basketball, subpar attendance, very little student fan base, and a long cold Winter with high winds. Who wants that?

Comment

Until we figure this out we're 4-7th place season after season. Yes, Belmont and Murray are almost here.

Comment

Working...
                                X