WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 18: Drake (Purple out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCPanther
    replied
    Bottom line. Take care of the next 3 like we should and we're 8-3 headed to DSM to get the win back from Drake.

Leave a comment:

• 1994grad
    replied
    At least Bowen is scoring more lately, but until just recently, he gave up a lot of open looks. It was as if he would get in trouble if he shot the ball. I definitely feel he could have handled the ball better at the end of the Drake game.

Leave a comment:

• CyCarp
    replied
    Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
    I wonder if Bowen has lost some confidence in his shot. There were several times he was pushing the ball up court, reached the 3pt line and the defender sagged off and he passed up on an open shot. A shooter like Bowen has to be able to take / make those shots.
    I don't know if it's Born or the coaches, but imo, we need more Bowen on offense. I do feel a bit like he's lacking confidence or something right now though. He didn't shoot it very well against Valpo when AJ was out. Maybe he doesn't have a green light like others. This kid can't shoot it with the best of them when he's on, it'd be nice to see us him get involved more as a scorer.

Leave a comment:

• UNIAlum95
    replied
    I wonder if Bowen has lost some confidence in his shot. There were several times he was pushing the ball up court, reached the 3pt line and the defender sagged off and he passed up on an open shot. A shooter like Bowen has to be able to take / make those shots.

Leave a comment:

• 1994grad
    replied
    I was also shocked that coach put so much responsibility on AJ at the end of the game. AJ is prone to turnovers when in these situations. Why not have Born share some of the responsibility? He is an excellent passer, arguably controls the ball better than AJ and is nearly perfect from the line.

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by ceaser150 View Post
    Jake is pretty good when he has a point guard that is capable of going one on one and attacking the basket (Wes, Deon, KA). He is not so good when missing that. He has tried to use AJ in that role but it is a square peg in a round hole situation. He is not explosive enough off the dribble to do that consistently.
    Agreed. That’s where your 1 on 1 ISO type stuff was effective in the past, especially at the end of the shot clock. AJ’s a really good player, just not that type consistently. That’s also why I’ve harped on bringing more of those players in. Right now we have Kimmons, and Born to an extent.

Leave a comment:

• ceaser150
    replied
    Jake is pretty good when he has a point guard that is capable of going one on one and attacking the basket (Wes, Deon, KA). He is not so good when missing that. He has tried to use AJ in that role but it is a square peg in a round hole situation. He is not explosive enough off the dribble to do that consistently.

Leave a comment:

• unifan
    replied
    Pick a game we’ve lost in similar fashion and compare our offensive strategy down the stretch. Different game, same strategy that has failed in too many instances while playing with a lead.

Leave a comment:

• run&blade
    replied
    Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
    On Jake's postgame radio interview last night, he did take full responsibility for failing to change the offense near the end of regulation, when Drake changed how they were defending. Although it has happened before, let's hope he has learned his lesson for future late game strategy when we have a lead. Need to get back on track at Evansville Wednesday night.
    What does that really mean “take full responsibility”

it means zero. Nothing. It’s coach speak garbage. Jake has sucked at end of games forever.

is he going to give some salary back ? Buy everybody a beer at next home game?

Please. Rather he said nothing.

Leave a comment:

• A Fan In Lean Years
    replied
    Originally posted by unipanther2154 View Post

And here is why this coaching staff is an embarrassment. Literally everyone watching that game can tell in the moment something needed to change and he comes out after the game and says “oops, my bad guys. Should have done something different”. What in the hell do we pay him to do? Highest paid coach in our league and he now has said multiple time he should have done better and that a ‘lesser’ coach at a smaller school that just got promoted from a D-2 completely out coached him. He’s basically telling us game after game how every coach in this league is better than him…..well outside of maybe his buddy as MSU and Evansville.
    Wrong! Remember, the MDH is an elite coach, my friend.

Leave a comment:

• unipanther2154
    replied
    Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
    On Jake's postgame radio interview last night, he did take full responsibility for failing to change the offense near the end of regulation, when Drake changed how they were defending. Although it has happened before, let's hope he has learned his lesson for future late game strategy when we have a lead. Need to get back on track at Evansville Wednesday night.
    And here is why this coaching staff is an embarrassment. Literally everyone watching that game can tell in the moment something needed to change and he comes out after the game and says “oops, my bad guys. Should have done something different”. What in the hell do we pay him to do? Highest paid coach in our league and he now has said multiple time he should have done better and that a ‘lesser’ coach at a smaller school that just got promoted from a D-2 completely out coached him. He’s basically telling us game after game how every coach in this league is better than him…..well outside of maybe his buddy as MSU and Evansville.

Leave a comment:

• Panther AC
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NI hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleCatFan View Post
    If Jake hangs around long enough he will be the all time win leader of the MVC. But will always be remembered as Coach Meltdown because of all his big time leads he couldn’t have his team hold onto☹️ When you think about it…Wow what it could have been like!
    Quite a little truth to this. Jake owns the biggest meltdown in NCAA tournament history. The largest lead ever blown in a Missouri Valley Championship game. The only one seed to lose to a eight seed.

Leave a comment:

• A Fan In Lean Years
    replied
    Busy watching UNI rasslin shell them there Bison last night-all for WELL under $200k per year too, friends-so I couldn't make the game.

Let me guess: endless Bubba Chucks tossed up with a low percentage rate of conversion, right? Thought so...

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by Panther Fan View Post
    I’m as disappointed as anyone tonight. I’ve been a diehard for 40 years and my emotional state tonight is one of those times where you question why you care so much about whether a 20 year old kid makes a shot. Yes I’m frustrated with AJ ISO at the end of games and I also sometimes think Jake may need some fresh blood on the bench. But....

The sky is not quite falling as much as many on here are implying.
    I agree. The coaches need to figure out something scheme wise to counteract how we’re being defended. It’s really frustrating they couldn’t do it in game, but it’s not the end of the world. Give Drake some credit too. We lost to a good team that made plays down the stretch. They also appeared to be less winded at the end and in OT, but at that point the momentum was on their side too. Jake and his staff know their stuff. Give them a chance to figure it out.

We can still have a good finish. Anyone who thought we’d roll thru the Valley didn’t read much about the talent some teams had returning. The league is pretty balanced this year, so there are plenty of potential losses ahead for the top 4 or 5 teams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X