WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Out Games/Contests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Out Games/Contests

Are they not allowed to run games anymore during the timeouts that involve shooting on the hoops? I used to think the games they played during the timeouts were bad, but I think it’s worse than ever now.

The Emoji Cam and OP Trivia are terrible. The cornhole toss is pretty boring and seems be almost impossible to win at. The Kiss Cam/Find The Gear contests are decent with a good sized crowd. I’m a firm believer there is nothing more exciting than halfcourt shots – how we don’t have a contest that includes a halfcourt shot is inexcusable.

The kid who has been emceeing during the timeouts the past few seasons is tremendous – it’s a shame he’s stuck with such boring events.

Originally posted by hediondo19 View Post
    Are they not allowed to run games anymore during the timeouts that involve shooting on the hoops? I used to think the games they played during the timeouts were bad, but I think it’s worse than ever now.

The Emoji Cam and OP Trivia are terrible. The cornhole toss is pretty boring and seems be almost impossible to win at. The Kiss Cam/Find The Gear contests are decent with a good sized crowd. I’m a firm believer there is nothing more exciting than halfcourt shots – how we don’t have a contest that includes a halfcourt shot is inexcusable.

The kid who has been emceeing during the timeouts the past few seasons is tremendous – it’s a shame he’s stuck with such boring events.
    Having a halfcourt shot requires a business willing to take out the insurance policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wxcpanther View Post

Having a halfcourt shot requires a business willing to take out the insurance policy.
      Wasn’t there a whole controversy about this a few seasons ago?

Comment

Originally posted by edgecat View Post

Wasn’t there a whole controversy about this a few seasons ago?
        Yes there was. I can't remember the details but... yes.
        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

The Northern Iowa student who many felt was robbed from receiving $10,000 after completing an in-game basketball shooting challenge Wednesday will, in fact, get the full amount.
          Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
          Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
          - George Halas

Comment

A half-court shot contest doesn't need to be for $10,000.

Why not a progressive jackpot halfcourt shot? $100 goes in the pot each game until the shot is made? Maybe give the contestant a couple shots to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by hediondo19 View Post
              A half-court shot contest doesn't need to be for $10,000.

Why not a progressive jackpot halfcourt shot? $100 goes in the pot each game until the shot is made? Maybe give the contestant a couple shots to make it.
              We’ve fallen far from the days of the guy winning a CAR in the UNI Dome.

I say go big or go home.

Comment

I'm shocked that our 25 year old marketing director with absolutely no ties to the area isn't able to find better sponsors or engage local businesses.

NOTE-This is not a shot at her abilities. She shouldn't be in the position to begin with and she didn't hire herself.
                #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by edgecat View Post

We’ve fallen far from the days of the guy winning a CAR in the UNI Dome.

I say go big or go home.
                  I won an iPad on a 3-point shot back in about 2011.

So I'll take some of the blame for the marketing department having no money.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                    I'm shocked that our 25 year old marketing director with absolutely no ties to the area isn't able to find better sponsors or engage local businesses.

NOTE-This is not a shot at her abilities. She shouldn't be in the position to begin with and she didn't hire herself.
                    I know you are not trying to bash her, but at the same time how hard is it to go to the businesses who have sponsored these things in the past and ask for their continued support?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post

I know you are not trying to bash her, but at the same time how hard is it to go to the businesses who have sponsored these things in the past and ask for their continued support?
                      "It's a horrible return on investment, and it'll be in front of less eyeballs than ever, why should I keep paying for this?" is probably why sponsors haven't just kept up with what they're doing.

Comment

My favorite contest goes back to the Dome days when Simpson Furniture would sponsor the courtside seat upgrade with the recliner/love seat. They'd play the Jefferson's "Movin' on Up" theme song and it was pretty cool. At the last game of the season they gave away the chair as well.

Probably not enough room to do that in McLeod Center, but they could really use some creative ideas like that.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                          My favorite contest goes back to the Dome days when Simpson Furniture would sponsor the courtside seat upgrade with the recliner/love seat. They'd play the Jefferson's "Movin' on Up" theme song and it was pretty cool. At the last game of the season they gave away the chair as well.

Probably not enough room to do that in McLeod Center, but they could really use some creative ideas like that.
                          Yes!! I loved that promotion, too. You'd get pizza to eat while you sat there, also. It was a very cool idea and everyone loved it.
                          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

How about someone just off an actual men's basketball team member $10,000 if he can make a Bubba Chuck during a game?!

Now THERE'S a contest idear, friends!

Comment

This was as good of a place to put this as any I could find without starting a new thread. The script jerseys being worn were auctioned off and that closed shortly after 9pm CST Saturday night. Here's what they went for:
                              • #0 Nate Heise - $645
                              • #1 Cole Henry - $505
                              • #11 Trea Berhow - $535
                              • #13 Bowen Born - $2,015 (the bidding went crazy after the game)
                              • #15 Michael Duax - $355
                              • #20 Chase Courbat - $365
                              • #22 Antwan Kimmons - $435
                              • #23 Derek Krogmann - $345
                              • #3 Tywhon Pickford - $485
                              • #32 Tytan Anderson - $485
                              • #33 Drew Daniel - $345
                              • #34 James Betz - $355
                              • #35 Noah Carter - $505 (this one is the biggest bargain of the group)
                              • #4 AJ Green- $2505
                              • #5 - Landon Wolf - $455
                              • #50 Austin Phyfe - $705
                              It was fun to watch and dangerous to get caught up in the bidding. None of my bids held.
                              If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Working...
                              X